“Food as great as the view.”
Review of River Room

River Room
Ranked #1 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Wonderful seafood and a fantastic atmosphere. I remember buying shoes is this place as a child... What a change! the service is great.

There are newer reviews for River Room

Reviewed September 11, 2011

We looked up reviews of the River Room on Trip Advisor and decided to try it for ourselves. Our experience was great. The restaurant was in historic Georgetown and the interior ambiance made the experience even more pleasurable. We were seated with a view of the docks. The waitress provided excellent service giving recommendations and answered our questions about the menu. We tried the blackeye pea cakes as an appetizer and the grilled grouper as a main course.

1  Thank John L
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife & I have gone there for lunch a number of times over the past few years as part of a day side trip from our vacation in the Myrtle Beach area. They have always had great food & service. However, this past Aug. 31 we went out of our way to stop there for a late lunch and arrived at 2:35 to be disappointed. The hostess said "sorry, we're closed until dinner". When I asked when they stopped serving lunch, she replied "2:30". Even when I said that we traveled 30 miles just so I could get one of their great soft shell crab sandwiches she could only say "sorry" because we missed lunch by 5 minutes! This is stupidly poor customer relations to say the least and, regardless of how good their food or service is, I doubt we will ever bother to return.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Just traveling through and starving. We ordered our food and my fish came out RAW! I returned and it was brought out minutes later with all of the "Stuffing" missing from it as if it were microwaved. The entree was $32 so I was a bit upset. When I showed the waitress she was mortified! She immediately took and went to the kitchen. This time took some time but it came out right and was wonderful. So we were there for almost 2 hrs with me eating by myself (my son and husband finished theres before I even got my right). Overall and in the end the food was good.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

My wife and I decided to dine here for lunch, after reading the Trip Advisor reviews. We were driving from Wilmington to Charleston and stop to visit the historic district of the town.
The restaurant is located in the heart of the downtown area and the interior is well designed with to reflect the ocean location. The service was quick and friendly. I had the Shepherd's Pie that came in a good lunch portion and was very tastey with carrots, mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese topping. My wife had the Pecan Chicken Salad which was very good. This is a good place to have a very good meal and to relax along the river.

The town itself has an extensive number of historic homes from both revolutionary and civil war periods.