“What a Great Find!”

Dining options: Late Night
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
“What a Great Find!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were in Georgetown today exploring after a meeting with a client. We asked her about restaurants in the area and she recommended Big Tuna. Not only that, she said to try the deep fried whole Flounder. We walked into the front of the restaurant (it has a back entrance on the water front as well) and were surprised at how rustic it is. They had a pet Scarlett Macaw near the front door that caught my wife's attention, so we delayed a little before getting seated. The place was deserted and we were a little worried, but the hostess took us through to the back and outside again. Another doubt because it was too cold to sit outside. THEN she turned left to the doors on the side of a really old large shack that looked ready to fall dow. She threw open the doors and there it was. A rustic, warm dining room with planks, fishing gear and an old pirogue hanging from the ceiling. We ordered She-Crab soup, Seafood Gumbo and a whole fried Flounder to share. The She-Crab soup was sublime. One of the best, if not the best we have had. The gumbo was different. No roux. Just a thin soup with the vegetables, sausage and shrimp in it. Pretty good, but it was obvious the shrimp were frozen because it's not shrimp season and the taste was a freezer taste. It was good, nonetheless. Now, I have to say that the Flounder was exceptional. It was scored on both side and very lightly breaded. We ate BOTH side, skin and all. Really an exceptional find. It's fun to explore Front Street and the waterfront, too!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Tony H

Durham, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,156 helpful votes
“great food....awful view”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stopped in for lunch and I ordered the steak sandwich (thin shaved ribeye served on a hoagie with mushrooms, onions & melted provolone.....hold the mushrooms). It was so good and tender I didn't want the sandwich to end. Unfortunately, sitting outside, if I looked to my right I could see the pulp mill and a very dirty steel mill. I'm just glad the wind wasn't blowing in our direction. If you have ever smelled a pulp mill and steel mill you know that it isn't pleasant. Eating inside would definitely solve that problem.

• Visited January 2013
Lake Lure, North Carolina
“Crave it!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Love the oysters and shrimp but absolutely crave the whole fried flounder! Always ask for the biggest they have! So light and yummy then flip it over and enjoy the other side! Trying to get there tonight before they close! Fun atmosphere and nothing better than the outdoor tables when weather permits!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“If you like bar/pub style atmosphere with restaurant style food this is the place.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've gone to The Big Tuna for years now and I must say it's always a sure bet when I want GOOD food. The she crab soup is excellent as are the sandwiches I've never had a bad meal here. I like being able to sit outside and overlook the water where you'll see plenty of shrimp boats passing by. In season you will usually find some of the kitchen staff out back on the pier cleaning your meal as it's caught fresh. LOVE this place!!!!

• Visited November 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
“Great!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Delish wine..gumbo and crab salad. If we already had not planned dinner at home it would have been here. We shall remember this place the next time we cruise through this town and enjoy dinner here.