“What a great experience!”

Rover Boat Tours - Carolina Rover
Ranked #2 of 19 Tours in Georgetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Carolina Rover will take you, your family and friends out on a 4 hour Eco-tourism cruise that is guaranteed to be unlike any other attraction along the Grand Strand. Our comfortable shaded 40 ft. Pontoon boat will cruise on smooth inland waters to a remote barrier island where the Winyah Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean. We take you through a bird-watcher's paradise to South Carolina's oldest lighthouse, the Georgetown Light, 1811, that lit the way for two centuries for seafarers. You will then be able to explore and beachcomb where the sea unfolds her secrets depositing an ever-changing array of shelling opportunities. During this adventure you will see the sight of the Civil War wreck of the Union flagship, the USS Harvest Moon, and our naturalists will give an informative commentary on the historic plantation tidelands. Keep an eye out for such wildlife as Dolphins, Bald Eagles, Alligators, and Sturgeon! This cruise is a wonderful unique experience for all ages.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

First: pay attention to the website and call in advance to reserve your spot. Second: bring LOTS of water (they will sell you some $1 bottle if needed) and wear sunscreen, We came early to explore the town (but not a whole lot to see there especially with teenagers) and grab a bite. the crew and staff were warm, friendly and inviting. The tour itself was informative but the best part was stopping at North Island to explore and search for shells. We did not see as many things as some of the pictures showed, but can't guarantee everything. There were tons of shells. My son found a sand dollar and we did see an eagle. The island was wonderful and secluded and would have loved to stay for a lot longer to just enjoy the area. This was a great time and we all enjoyed ourselves. Just make sure you don't bring back a stowaway like we did. When we were washing our shells at the hotel, we found that there was still a hermit crab still in one of the shells....we had to put him back on the beach.

tjwalter, Owner at Rover Boat Tours - Carolina Rover, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Anita,
Thanks to you and your family for cruising with us. It was a beautiful day! We would love to share your pictures on our web site or facebook page. Message me @ Rover Tours. We look forward to seeing you again and thanks for saving the crab. :)

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"amazing adventure"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We called late for a ticket and was put on standby. They were SO nice and we got to go because someone else didn't show.
First, the boat holds 40 people which is perfect. We shove off and the naturalist explains everything you are seeing with a great bit of civil war history thrown in. The weather was perfect. They said we might see wild hogs, eagles and dolphins.
We saw them ALL! The dolphins followed our boat for about 15 minutes and it was so much fun. 2 sets of nesting bald eagles, and a hog too! Shells were fine on the island, which we got to stay on for an hour. The captain let the little kids help steer the boat which was thrilling for them. Everyone couldn't have been nicer! I would do this exact boat trip again anytime. Only bad thing was the darn biting flies. Bring your own fly swatter!

1  Thank Lynne P
tjwalter, Manager at Rover Boat Tours - Carolina Rover, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Lynne,
I am so glad we were able to accommodate both of you. It is not often we have guests make reservations and just not show up, but occasionally it does happen. I understand from several of the other passengers that Mother Nature provided you all with quite a show. Thank you for a wonderful review and we hope to see you the next time you are in town.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I actually live in Myrtle Beach but my mother was visiting from Washington state and had wanted to see some lighthouses while she was here. There are not many in my area and I didn't know where to start. I saw a flyer for the Rover Tours and saw that it also featured good shell hunting, another thing my mother had expressed an interest in. That was last May. We had an absolutely fabulous time, the highlight of my mothers visit. So good in fact, that my mother bought my husband and I a gift certificate for our anniversary which we used this past weekend during my mothers yearly visit. Again, fabulous time! John, the captain, heard me say that I wanted to see dolphins and so made an extra loop through an area where he knew they like to feed, just to accommodate me, and Dan, the guide was informative and entertaining, as before. My mother found some awesome seashells and I got some fabulous photos, a serious hobby of mine. We will definitely do this again. It's becoming a tradition!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This tour is a great value and wonderful family adventure. My 4 year daughter even had a great time and is still talking about the tour and our guide William. And there were plenty of shells to be had when we arrived at the island. On our way out to the island, we came across a young dolphin and it's mother just after we sighted a wild pig on the shoreline and on our way back we saw 5 bald eagles. This tour was worth every penny.

1  Thank UGADAWGinLouKY