“Like Sneaking Into An Old Southern Kitchen”
Review of Aunny's

Aunny's
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A mix of old Southern & soul food all of which is fresh and prepared as if for a big family. Fried chicken, pork chops, sweet potato casserole or lima beans - this is the place. If you want a chef salad, go somewhere else, but if you want real home cooked Southern fare go for it here!!

1  Thank Popadoupie

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Honestly, we were blown away. Fried chicken, butter beans cooked with okra, candied yams, green bean casserole and corn bread--all served by such a pleasant lady in a comfortable atmosphere. It truly felt like you had walked into someone's home kitchen. Don't be in a hurry--just kick back and enjoy the sweet tea. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Whenever I visit in a different part of the country than my own, I always try and find a place that serves true to life food that the locals routinely eat. I found a true gem in Aunny's.

I was standing on the sidewalk with my best buddy while we waited for our wives to peruse the offerings in the shops on Front Street in Georgetown, SC. We were discussing finding a place to eat breakfast that fit my criteria, but neither of us was familiar with the area. As we were talking, a young lady walked over and excused herself by saying she had overheard us talking and if we would like, she would take us to just the place we were looking for.. After retrieving our wives we all proceeded down the street while our new guide chatted cheerfully away.

We had only gone about two blocks when my wife commented on the sign she saw ahead. It was hand painted and featured a rooster which just happens to be one of her favorite things. "That's Aunny's", our guide said as she turned in the door. She led us right over to the lady at the counter and introduced us to Andrea, or Aunny as she is known around the area. She in turn introduced us to her husband Charles who was busy in the kitchen.

We thanked our gracious young lady friend and invited her to join the four of us for breakfast, but she politely declined and took her leave. Now that is what I call a warm southern welcome. Thank you friend for your kindness to strangers.

Aunny's is a very small place, but very clean and homey with wonderful smells coming out of the kitchen. The menu is not huge, but has a nice selection to cover breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. There is limited seating outside and takeout is available. I challenge anyone to find better prices on anything there. Especially when you see the portions and sample the fare.

Between us we ordered a wide variety of food including pancakes, sausage, ham, eggs done several ways, toast, great coffee, corned beef hash, and my goto item for a southern breakfast, grits. The grits were probably the best I have ever eaten. They were made with real coarse ground yellow cornmeal cooked with shrimp and topped with three perfect poached eggs. The only thing missing was the Thai hot sauce/fish sauce that my wife reluctantly serves me at home. The corned beef hash was great as well with crispy edges and lots of real corned beef. None of that out of the can wet stuff at Aunny's.

Near the counter we saw several items that looked fresh and smelled just warm from the oven. Aunny said that she had something for sale almost everyday. The special that day was sweet potato pie for only $8. How could we pass that up after the sumptuous meal we had just eaten. We ate it in camp later that night. It was the best I have ever eaten.

We left Aunny's full and happy and promised her we would be back on our next visit. I highly recommend this to anyone traveling through the area looking for a friendly, southern style, budget friendly place to eat. Ignore the gripers that obviously only dine at places with stars and diamonds on their advertising. They probably miss out on some really great foodie hot spots. Try Aunny's and see if you don't agree.

1  Thank avatheps
Reviewed September 6, 2013

No the type Southern food I like. We decided there were more items we didn't like than those we did like. Restaurant feels not quite clean. I won't be returning.

2  Thank srichar695
Reviewed September 4, 2013

What to say? Where to start? First, it is at the end of the main street, storefront restaurant. You walk in, and it feels like you have stepped into someone's kitchen. Sit down relax and loosen your belt. If you have come to eat, then this is the place. Breakfast was delicious. I was already looking at the lunch/dinner menu and wishing we could come back then( we were on our way to Beaufort). Great price, friendly staff. Wonderful!

1  Thank netnurse