“Excellent Sight Seeing Tour”

Cap'n Rod's Lowcountry Plantation Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Tours in Georgetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visit an unspoiled barrier island. Who knows what Mother Nature has in store? A lighthouse, eagles, dolphin, maybe even a turtle. You Plantation will​ have one and a half hours to leisurely stroll an unspoiled beach, accessible only by boat. Peace and quiet galore! One of our most popular tours!
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Recently we organized a trip for about 45 people to spend the day sight seeing on Captain Rod's tour boat. We had a wonderful experience visiting the Georgetown light house and hearing about the local culture. We saw 7 bald eagles and numerous porpoise. Capt Rod and Fran were wonderful to work making this adventure easy and most enjoyable. I recommend this trip to anyone who has a desire to see beautiful scenery and hear about the local area.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"bug spray"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My traveling companions and I boarded Cap'n Rod's Plantation tour boat around 2:30 PM on Friday, October 11, a beautiful fall day in Georgetown. They provided a personal touch right from the beginning. We made reservations, so check-in was just a quick exchange of cash. Please note this is a cash only business, and we took advantage of AAA discount. As Captain Doug greeted and escorted us to the boat, it was obvious how much he enjoys his role as he recounted his morning excursion with 40 school-age children.

Although the tour appeared to be full, seating was plentiful with no more than two adults per row. The seats are hard ballpark-type benches, but they do have a back and seat cushions are provided upon request. Manned by First Mate Luke, drinks and snacks are available for $1 each. We promptly departed the Georgetown Harbor at 3 PM.

The captain offered a balance of historical and logistical narration about the area with quiet time to just appreciate the scenery and the breeze. Both Captain Doug and First Mate Luke were quick to point out wild life and make available long pauses to take pictures and/or enjoy the sights. We spotted several eagles both in flight and in the trees. The first leg of traveling lasts about one hour and fifteen minutes.

We then had about one hour and twenty minutes for shelling before the return trip to Georgetown. There were plenty of shell beds and space in which to comb on the island, so as not to feel crowded by other tour members. I enjoyed the interesting, and sometimes rather large, driftwood as much as the shells. A number of interesting photo opportunities presented themselves during this portion of the tour as well.

Captain Doug continued his narration with history of the North Island lighthouse as we headed back. We were treated to a spectacular sunset as well as a number of dolphin and seagull sightings. Again, the captain set a leisurely pace to allow time for the views. There was no part of the trip that seemed rushed, and the crew was so personable and welcoming. We docked around 7:15 PM. You will not be disappointed with this tour! It is well worth the price of admission.

2  Thank Laura L
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

we had originally booked, with the other company Rover tours. which lied to us. luckily we were in Georgetown and stumbled upon Lowcountry tours . I was thankful, that they have room for us . we saw lots of eagles and dolphins , captain Doug kept us entertained . their mate helped us find shells. the weather was perfect. and they have snacks available on the boat, which all the money supports a Christian mission. we will be repeat passengers with this company. Thanks

1  Thank benjsmith
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We took this tour the same time last year and had so much fun we decided to go back again this year. Our captain was great and told lots of intersting stories about this history of Georgetown. Had a great time on the island looking for shells and came home with several cool ones. Files were bad so take bug spray - they have a giant flyswatter on board tho :-D

See more reviews
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I want to personally thank Cap'n Rod for his gracious southern manner and the amazing tour. I was so impressed. My group of five traveling to South Carolina traveled an hour south to the beautiful Georgetown to one the the most amazing experiences. I heard about his tour by word of mouth. Walking along North Myrtle beach wishing I could find large shells a visitor told me "YOU CAN'T MISS THIS! SO I called and spoke directly to Cap'n Rod and not only were we overwhelmed with the beauty, Cap'n Rod taught us so many things about the history of the Georgetown area, wildlife and I cannot believe I saw a 10 foot alligator, bald eagles and dolphins swimming beside our boat. The lighthouse and the shell island was more than I could have asked for! YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS TRIP! I have told everyone about this, and I am planning on returning next year for this trip alone. THANK YOU CAP'N ROD from Vickie and the girls from Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio!!!