“A Great Afternoon”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Great Afternoon”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed the boat ride and Captain Rod's commentary. He kept us laughing throughout the trip. We got to tour a mansion on the trip. The only disappointment was we didn't see a dolphin or alligator. We think if you take the morning tour to the lighthouse that maybe you have a better chance of seeing dolphins and alligators. Captain Rod even said they had seen them that morning.

1 Thank pbyancey

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Our trip with Cap'n Rod's to the lighthouse and shell island was without a doubt the coolest thing we've ever done on a beach vacation! On the ride to the lighthouse and shell island we learned all about the history of Georgetown and also civil war stories. The lighthouse was beautiful, but nothing compared to the shell island. Just as we were preparing to dock on the island, we saw several dolphins! My group found several beautiful shells, including 3 conch shells! Our time on the island flew by as we searched for shells and generally enjoyed the view of the uninhabited beach! It was worth the price of admission for the views. On the way back into town, we learned more about the rice plantations of the lowcountry. All I can say is the work that was done by the plantation workers was amazing!! Overall, this trip was amazing and one that I'm sure will be a regular occurrence for family beach trips in the future!

2 Thank larkinfan88
South Carolina
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Fun !!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have wanted to do the lighthouse and shell island tour for years. This week I finally got to! My husband and I along with our two children loved the feel of Georgetown. It was a beautiful historic town. I wish we could have walked around for a bit to explore. Our tour with Cap'n Rod was a lot of fun. I love, love, love South Carolina history and this expedition was full of it. The sightseeing was a bunch of fun as well. We did see two alligators, a few eagle nests but no dolphins. Our kids were disappointed about not seeing any dolphins. Shell Island was also very interesting. It is a very beautiful and the hour that we had on the island passed so quickly. We found a few beautiful shells, driftwood and lots of critters. We could not believe the size and number of blue crabs within the jetty. We also saw several fish and horseshoe crabs. Someone in the group even saw a stingray. We had a very quick shower, but it did not interrupt our exploring. I would recommend that you wear your bathing suit under your clothes, wear water shoes, bring a towel and a bag for collecting your treasures. And don’t forget your camera!! We had so much fun and enjoyed Cap’t Rod, Ms. Fran and Chris. I am sure it cost a lot to operate the boat and to pay payroll but it would be nice if there was a lower price for children. Overall I give it a big thumbs up!!

1 Thank SCTraveling4
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
227 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“A fantastic group outing in an idyllic setting.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is the second year that a religious group to which I belong arranged for Cap'n Rod to take us out on his boat so that we could hold our Friday evening service on the water in a tranquil manner. He was totally accomodating to our needs on both occasions and his narratives on his personal experiences and history of the area are both interesting and informative. I would highly recommend you to take advantage of Cap'n Rod whether you are a small group or part of a larger group. You will not be disappointed.

Greeneville, Tennessee, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“This is one we will do again”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The tour was great. Cap'n Rod really knows his history of the place, having grown up nearby. The large pontoon like boat was plenty comfy and he even had snacks and drinks. He was a wonderful tour guide. He and his wife are both very friendly, open, helpful, and accommodating. Even when a couple and their kids were running late. He goes out with the tide and makes sure we see everything we can and still make the island at its best point. Yesterday there were storms cropping up, but we managed to miss them all. We saw hermit crabs and regular live crabs and dolphins and alligators ... the views were beautiful. We'll go again now that we know a little better what we're doing! But we'll look for Cap'n Rod because he cares deeply about the area and its conservation and its history.