“The best part of the bus trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hopsewee Plantation
Ranked #1 of 29 things to do in Georgetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hopsewee Plantation is an original lowcountry rice plantation on the North Santee Rive built between 1735 and 1740. Birthplace of Thomas Lynch Jr., Hopsewee is one of just 12 remaining birthplaces of Signers of the Declaration of Independence. The home has not been modified from its original design and is furnished with 18th and 19th century antiques. Two original slave cabins remain on the property. The guided tour explores the history of the Patriots and Planters who lived at Hopsewee while you explore the architectural features of the house from Attic to Cellar. Enjoy the hour long tour or just come for lunch in The River Oak Cottage Tearoom with Lowcountry favorites such as Shrimp and Grits, Pulled Pork, Soups and Sandwiches and our Southern Tea service modeled after a British Afternoon Tea.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Rocky Mount, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The best part of the bus trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Everything about this visit was excellent. we were on a bus trip that took a day trip to Georgetown and Hopsewee Plantation. We had a step aboard guide, Helen, who made the trip from Myrtle Beach to the Plantation very interesting with the history of the area. Upon arrival at the Plantation we had a wonderful "tea" complete with beautiful old linens and china as well as several pots of different teas. Then came the tour of the plantation. It was just like visiting a friend's home. I would like to go back and try some of the other food items offered.
This was my favorite part of the entire trip. grandma and grandpa

2 Thank Charlie B

Aiken
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful place to visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a nice tour of the plantation house. We also had a wonderful lunch in the tea house before the tour. I had the quiche with a cup of "Gin-Gin" soup. The soup is a creamy chicken with wild rice & mushrooms. Excellent! After the tour we went back for dessert. I had the sampler plate that included 3 desserts: lemon chess pie, cheese cake with chocolate Oreo crust, chocolate cake and a chocolate covered strawberry. All were very good. It was a very. Ice afternoon.

1 Thank Sue B
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't let the few negative reviewers fool you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I travel a lot. We try to see historic places in every town we visit. We happened across this plantation during our stay at Murrell's Inlet. I want to say, first, that this plantation is a very good place to visit during your stay in the area. I highly recommend it! Many others have said it all and I really can't say it much better. I will, however, address a few of the more negative comments I've read here.
I suppose the most glaring negative comment that seems to be prevalent here is the price. Well, so what? It costs a few dollars to take the tour. It's 2013. Do you really expect things to be as inexpensive as they were 20 years ago? This plantation is privately owned. By a charming couple, I might add. While it is on the NPS register of historic places, there's no government funding or trust or committee subsidizing the place. They graciously open their home - yes their private home - to visitors, so I see no problem paying a few dollars to take the tour.
So, the food? It is wonderful! Ok, so you don't like to pay $10 for a sandwich? Fine. There's a Macdonald's back in Georgetown. I found the food and atmosphere excellent and the hostess was a doll! My visit was today, November 14, 2013. Yes, the grounds suffer from the effects of Fall. A little raking would be nice. And maybe a little power wash on the main house will be needed next spring. My house needs that, too! I would NOT say it's "sadly unkept". For a 235 year old house, I think it looks great! I see a few more not very polite things have been said in a few other reviews and I will not respond to flippancy.
I just wanted to say my two cents worth about Hopsewee. No, I'm not related to anyone there and yes, I've only been there once. But, like seeing a kid being picked on by bullies, i just felt the need to stand up and step in.

8 Thank David H
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is the BEST plantation tour we've ever been to. Our tour guide was the greatest! She brought the past alive so vividly. The tea room lunch was such a great first time experience. The owners .. the wife is the chef & they are both totally hands on. BTW never knew the real reason old house bedrooms had no closets - I thought because they didn't have much clothing. NOT .. England TAXED them on every room in their house - and a closet was considered a room because it had a door. Learn something new every day. Don't miss this amazing plantation. It was totally hands on & you can take pix.

3 Thank hollislinc
Tucson, Arizona
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Unfortunate disappointment.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

I read the tea room was good and yet overpriced. We thought we'd drive on down anyway from Myrtle Beach. When we pulled into the area, it was a no brainer that this place was sadly unkept. We walked around some and moved on down the road to a different plantation that met our expectations. Read the other reviews. Lots of people liked the tea room although they say its pricey; and lots of people agreed with us that this place needs a bit more care. Lots of choices. You decide.

2 Thank Tundrachoochoo