“Beautiful Place, but no plans to return”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Mansfield Plantation
Ranked #1 of 3 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Lakewood, New York
“Beautiful Place, but no plans to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

This was a beautiful place. Our room was very nice too with plenty of privacy. Something we did not see on any of the reviews before we went is that there is a paper mill or some other kind of smelly factory nearby and parts of the day the area had quite a strong odor. The breakfast was yummy, but you are forced to eat at the same time and at one big table with all the other guests. The innkeeper one morning made us all introduce ourselves and say why we were there that weekend. I know some people really like this, but for a romantic weekend getaway, it is not my style. I prefer the B&Bs that have small tables spread out in dining room and let you come in over a couple hours versus making you come to breakfast at a specific time (or serve you in your room). Like I said, this is my preference, and this review may be helpful to people with tastes opposite from mine.

My last note is to be careful walking around the grounds as they have several dogs running around leaving little surprises throughout the yard (one of which my shoe managed to find very well).

Room Tip: All the rooms seem a bit different, so look around on the website at the pictures for what you like...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coastergirl13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2011

My wife and I booked the Middleton Room for one night in late May as part of a road trip. We only wished we'd stayed longer. This is truly a hidden gem. The setting on the bend of the Black River is stunning and you can live out your Gone with the Wind dreams sitting on one of the swings watching the sun come up.

It may not have all the deluxe 5 star luxuries of a city hotel but you are living in history here. And it was truly comfortable and elegant. The drive is 1.5 miles long and ends as you approach under the live oaks and spanish moss, lined by the old slave cabins - what a way to arrive!. The facade doesn't look that grand - it's not a big Antebellum statement home but is lovely nonetheless. The elegant Georgian front doors hide interiors that are far more splendid than we expected and a lovely breakfast room in particular. Speaking of which, Kathryn, the housekeeper, made special dairy-free grits for my wife. Kathryn is a true asset - laid back and lovely with it!

Our room was also lovely, with a comfy 4 poster and nice amenities in genuinely antique surroundings. But the setting is what makes this place special - off the beaten track and it feels like you've found a secret spot. We intend to make a trip back very soon!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank precky123
phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

We wanted to stay at a real southern plantation and Mansfield fit the bill. It's a wonderful place, straight out of history. The guest areas have been restored/reconstructed with an eye to history; the staff friendly and very helpful; the grounds unique. Would highly recommend it for at least an overnight stay. Also it's close to Georgetown, S.C., a hidden treasure of a town.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

This is an amazing B&B. I went with my husband and my brother and his boyfriend. Our trip was one of the most memorable I've even taken. As we approached the plantation, all of our mouths dropped open. The grounds are beautiful, the slave cabins are sobering, the rooms are charming and comfortable, and the breakfast will make you want to slap your mom (that's a good thing). The innkeeper, Kathryn, is wonderful. I was truly in awe of this place. I didn't want to leave. You can ride bikes, kayak, hang in a hammock, walk the grounds and just relax. I also got some of the best sleep I ever had in my life. We will definitely go back. Just one caveat: If you are a person who likes to go, go, go and can't sit down and relax, I don't suggest you stay here. The Mansfield and Georgetown are not for people who can't slow down. However, if you really want to escape from your stressful life for a while, I highly recommend you stay here. The town is lovely as well. Small but lovely and charming. Plus, Georgetown is also about 25 minutes or so from Myrtle Beach and about 45 minutes from Charleston, so you can do day trips and visit those cities and come back to a relaxing retreat.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank missvon21
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2009

Spur of the moment we drove over from neighboring Charleston to find this suprise right in our own backyard. My husband and I are nature lovers and even though it had rained all day the property was still beautiful upon our late afternoon arrival. We stayed in a kitchen house room to be close to the water. We walked the rice field paths to see a Golden Eagle and a number of hawks and to the Black River. Wished we'd had a kayak along. Since we don't like to drive at night, particularly in rain, we had brought along a picnic from a gourmet grocery. The room was large enough for us to incorporate the seating, bedside table, and lighting to arrange for a 4 course dinner. Mini frig and microwave allowed us to heat and cool. Much fun! We took a different loop rice field trail in early AM before breakfast and found there is a lot more to explore. All of the buildings are very scenic and the lovely avenue of oaks and slave quarters take you back in time. We enjoyed talking with other guests during breakfast in the main dining room. Tip: you can learn more history about the plantation from the website than find in the room or main house. We can't wait to see the Plantation on a sunny day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Southerner
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

My wife and I stayed here with our extended family this July. Our group rented the entire "Kitchen" building and after a LONG drive it was the perfect retreat. There is very little signage and the plantation itself is quite a distance from the road, so we would not reccomend arriving after dark, although we had no trouble finding the place after going into Georgetown for dinner. When we arrived the innkeeper Katherin was ready for us. I dont know if it was the heat or humidity but Katherin and all of the other guests I saw seemed to move with a slowness and languid manner that I did not really understand until after a few hours of enjoying the place myself. She had prepared the rooms for us with an extra cot as well as extra waters, chocolates, and sparkling grape juice. The bikes which had been mentioned on the site were not that great. They were being stored in an old barn and were pretty dirty. A couple of the bikes had not enough air in the tires and mine had a broken seat. There were also a few bikes that were covered in dust and rusted out and clearly not for guest use. I'm not sure why they were storing them all together. Also, the site advertises wireless internet but we were unable to find any network, and by the time we tried searching the innkeeper had already left the house and was at her own private residence, and we did not want to have to call her back out to our room. The rooms were well air conditioned but we opened the screen doors and just enjoyed the sounds of the plantation at night. I only wish that we could open some windows or lock the screen door because when we were finally ready for bed we had to close up the door so that we could lock it and turn on the AC (or it would have been too stuffy) Breakfast was great and served in a group setting at a large table which we had never done before but it was actually a lot of fun. Try to stay for at least two days, there is a lot to do in the area!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 30yoldcanadian
Dorsten
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

Our night at Mansfield plantation was certainly the accomodation-highlight of our two-week-journey through the United States. From our first reservation-request on, the housekeeper has been most friendly and helpful. While most historical B&B shun families, at Mansfield plantation a cod was expecting our little daughter and even a children's seat got organized for the bicycles which are free to use for visitors. So we had the opportunity to grasp the vastness of this estate.

Our room was very tastefully decorated and offered us the cosiest bed. And take your time to enjoy the delicious breakfast in the beautiful dining room. The atmosphere there was incredible and we spend a lot more time there than we had expected.

For us as foreigners, the plantation, albeit not huge, gave us a fascinating glimpse back into time. For me, personally, it was a dream come true to experience staying at and just not visiting such a place. The owners are well aware of the historical value of their property and e.g. reconstructed the old chapel and I guess will continue this work with at least some of the slave quarters.

History buff, romantically inclined or just looking for some calm and peace, I can only recommend the Mansfield plantation. If we get to visit the South again, we will certainly try to put it in our schedule again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,592 reviews
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club
Quality Inn & Suites Georgetown

Been to Mansfield Plantation? Share your experiences!