“This Place Should be Prosecuted for Posing as Legitimate”
Review of Carolinian Inn

Carolinian Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Carolinian Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Georgetown
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Beware. Whether you risk staying here or cancel in advance as my group did, they will charge your credit card. Are they purposefully dishonest or patently incompetent? I vote the first because they charged our credit card for services cancelled two weeks in advance of our intended stay, then refused to remove charges resulting in a formal credit card dispute.

Don't have anything to do with this place!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank kmhoc

Reviewed March 28, 2010

Don't be fooled by the pictures on their website. It is a totally gross place! I checked in and checked right out. They did not argue with me, just gave me a refund. The young man at the desk was very pleasant. The supposedly "non-smoking" room smelled like a combo of smoke and cleaning fluid. The room was dark, the walls and rug dirty and the blankets were threadbare. Everything metal in the place was rusty. YUK, YUK, YUK!
FYI, Georgetown smells like the enormous paper plant which greets you as you arrive from the south. If you are traveling throught the area, spend another 45 minutes on the road and stay at the Serendipity Inn in Myrtle Beach. This place was a gem. Super clean, cute and comfortable room and a wonderful breakfast.....

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank keystonekmg
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I had the worse experience at this MOTEL. The front desk clerk was rude, mean, and an all around WITCH!!!!! The only half way decent person at this place was the two sisters who are the housekeepers/maintenance. they helped us with EVERYTHING, and even after the owner wouldn't do squat to help. From changing a light bulb, to switching my TV when it quit. They were the only reason I stayed the rest of my time there.This place is terrible, and I mean this with all my experience in travel, it was the worst!!!! The swimming pool was green there was no continental breakfast as the web site suggest, and I couldn't get the wifi to even work were I was.The owner of this place has really allowed it to run into the ground. Even a little paint, and some decent front desk clerks could perk up the place, but in my opinion as long as they are letting the owner run the desk they will eventually go out of business. If you are looking for a great hotel, or even a good hotel, this is not it!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I feel better after reading the reviews for this place, I'm not alone in what I've suffered. My daughter and I stayed at this hotel as it was the only one available and it looked nice on the website. We pulled up and thought it looked unique from the outside. We walked in and the foyer felt like a tomb. No furniture and a rigid, sour woman sitting at the desk. She was very rude, nasty and smirked that we would have to pay in full up front no early checkouts no refunds. I gave her the benefit of doubt and paid. I thought maybe she was an overworked underpaid clerk who was just having a bad day. Turns out she was the owner. We got into our room and wow-how depressing. Trash filled drawers, broken pieces of the vanity and sink laying on the floor, pubic hairs covering the sheets, no batteries in the remote, blood down the stairwell, no breakfast as advertised. Her response to my daughter's request for clean sheets was, "Go back to your room!" Housekeeping lady did bring sheets and said she didn't know what is wrong with the owner, how crazy she is and unreasonable and stingy. She also said they will NOT give money back to people and that she and her sister are the only housekeeping/maintenance the hotel has. After that I called the front desk and asked about the free wifi that wasn't working. The owner told me they have nothing to do with that. I said you advertise it on your sign and it's not working. She said ours is working. I said can I have the number for your service provider. She screamed at me and said we have nothing to do with that and slammed the phone down on me. My daughter and I went to the front desk where two folks were checking in, I told them, "don't do it" and the woman started screaming at us telling us to get out, called us riff raff, told us housekeeping had complained about us us (when we were not even there the entire day!) and told us to "go back to our little jobs". Her behavior was insane, bizarre, rude, terrible. I asked for my money back and she screamed fine, but you're paying for last night! She snatched the checkout papers from us and told us to get off the property. I have worked in travel for years and traveled extensively on business and leisure and have never experienced, nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing, such atrocious behavior and conditions. And she was the owner! This place should be condemned. It's staggering to learn that such a place can keep its doors open. It's filthy, rundown and has a local reputation for it. Folks at other hotels know this woman as Carolyn and are familiar with her behavior and the way the Carolinian is run as well as the condition of it. I wish I had asked other properties before booking. I will never go back to this hotel and have recommended the hundreds of direct associates that I have to never go here. I cringe when I drive by it. It's a shame that this one hotel has been able to do so much damage.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
18  Thank BRecken
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My sister was having her 40th birthday party in Georgetown, SC. She spoke with a wonderful girl that worked at the carolinian who set up a group rate for all of us to stay. However, we all received different rates even tho we used sister's name at time of booking. When some of us arrived, our key cards had to be programmed several times IN THE SNOW because the person at front desk had NO CLUE. My mother was taken in another family member's room while we waited. (She is in a wheel chair and has cancer for the second time) The first set of rooms for the first to arrive was pretty clean. However, when another sister arrived at 3 am, she found cheese puff crumbs in her sheets.. along with the bag. (NICE ROOM SERVICE) Next day, we asked for clean towels and sheets.. OWNER was nasty rude and said that we told her staff we didn't need any service.. that's funny considering none of us were there, we had all left for a spa day with the birthday girl. The owner even was nasty to a 14 year old child...called him names! There isn't enough room to type everything that happened at this place. Take my advice and STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
12  Thank SusanCW
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Googled "Bed & Breakfast, Georgetown, SC" and the website for the Carolinian Inn came up with 3 others. So I figured I was safe. NOT! While the price/nite was attractive ~$60. Compared with the other 3 listed I took the bait. According the the web site it looked like an old antebellum structure... when we got there it was basically a MOTEL and they didn't even serve breakfast (standard in the business even for hotels/motels these days). Wife also found a "fingernail" in the bathroom... yuck. Don't think I would ever consider that place again. Was rundown and needed a good cleaning and coat of fresh paint. Bed was huge 4-poster and comfortable, but rest was a big negative.

JP Saleeby, Md
www.CarolinaMobileMD.com

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JPSaleebyMD
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at the Carolinian Inn for two nights out of our week long vacation. When we checked into the hotel it was late at night. The hotel was beautiful and fit the old plantation look of Georgetown. The bedrooms were just as beautiful. I remember thinking I had walked back in time when I stepped into the room but we realized something was amiss. There were no towels in the room, no cups, soaps, no trash bags in the trash cans, and no shower curtain. There were only the shower curtain rings hanging on the rusty looking shower rod. We decided it was too late in the night to complain to the staff so we bathed the kids of sand from our beach trip and went to bed.

We woke up and left the hotel to have breakfast and to visit some attractions. Hotels usually make the beds during the day so we figured that all the missing towels and things would be replaced by time we got back. When we returned our key cards wouldn't even open the door to our room. We had to go complain to the staff just to get them to reset the keys. When we entered the room nothing had changed. The beds were just as we left them, sand still on the floor from the little ones, and no towels or trash bags. My husband had to go back to the front desk to ask about it. Apparently their cleaning staff was having issues and several rooms had complained. The guy at the desk didn't have access to the supply room so he gave us some towels and a shopping bag to use for trash. How horrible.

The next day we decided we'd had enough and we left. I've never had so much trouble from a hotel in all my travels. We will never stay there again. The beauty of the hotel does not make up for the horrible service.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
12  Thank EmeraldTokyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Baymont Inn & Suites Georgetown/Near Georgetown Marina
Quality Inn & Suites Georgetown
Baxter's Brewhouse Inn
Baxter's Brewhouse Inn
#2 of 4 in Georgetown

Been to Carolinian Inn? Share your experiences!