“Terrible Inn”
Review of Carolinian Inn

Carolinian Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Georgetown
Carolinian Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Georgetown
england
“Terrible Inn”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We booked a night in the Carolinian as it was recommend in a couple of guide books. I must drop them a line to let them know just how bad this place is. Dirty rooms, ceilings falling in, the bathroom was not fit to use. Bedding shocking. You would think they had a couple of good rooms? As we were one of the few rooms occupied this can only mean that all the rooms are as bad. I would think this place will close very soon, if not take my advice, just keep going. We are from England and travel around the US a lot. This is by far the worst place I have ever stopped inn. Georgetown is nice, so take a look at that and move on.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lincolnshiregirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2008

By being in the military, I have seen a lot of hotels and been in a few.This hotel is the worst i've stayed in.
For one, we changed rooms three times over a two day stay. It started in the first room smelling like Sugar Honey IceTea(use the capital letters). My sister called the front desk and they told her to come down and get some frebreeze. We were home to attend a family reunion and left the hotel to join our relatives. Upon returning, my sister called me yelling about the sink. The sink was full of ants. So, we ended up in room #2.
Room#2 was no better. The lights to the bathroom didn't work and no remote to the tv(minor issue). Went to sleep and woke up sweating to realize the a/c didn't work. Wow!!! On to room #3.
Room#3 the last day and straw. We had to go to the front desk every time we needed to enter the room. No ironing board or iron. There were no towels or anything. Now I mentioned the military for a reason. Not saying that I deserve a better treatment than others, but this is my hometown and I have been to Iraq. Just to add, I have returned safe from Iraq and this is the type of service I received. Not acceptable and I will continue to get this place inspected before someone gets seriously hurt or sick.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank BlueThunder2
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed June 11, 2008

This was BY FAR the worst place I have ever spent a night. It was disgusting. The room looked like it hadn't been cleaned... EVER. There was a brick wall behind the headboard and there were insects colonizing in the mortar and falling down in the bed. There were also several insect skeletons, like wide centipedes on the carpet. The bedding and furniture were stained. When we turned the water on, it ran brown for nearly a full minute. Not to mention the rowdy biker bar that was about 50 feet from the door and very loud yelling and riding their motorcycles back and forth by our door until about 3am. I would have actually slept in the car if I would have felt safe. Instead, I stayed in my sleeping bag at the foot of the bed (as far away from the brick wall as possible) and cranked up my ipod. I didn’t sleep a wink. On top of this, we passed by several “cheap motels” that were about $40 to find somewhere decent and paid about $80 to stay there… unbelievable!

• Liked — driving away
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RaleighTravelbug
Corinth, Vermont
Reviewed March 16, 2008

The inn is now part of the America's Best Value Inn chain and it seems to have been improved since the last review was written. The property is nice, very nicely landscaped and the reception, breakfast area is in an historic 19th century building which is gorgeous.

We are not fussy travelers but want a decent, clean room at a modest price. We're stopping only over night so we don't look for a lot of amenities., but we have to be connected with wi-fi and this was the only motel that advertised free wi-fi. The town was full of construction workers and most of the motels were full because of some special project housing all of these guys. The Carolinian had one room left but it had some problems they said. We took a look and decided that the problems were not a deal breaker for us since they took $10.00 off the price, which meant we got it for under $60. The room was nicely sized and clean. The wi-fi connection worked great from the first try. There was no heat in this room, no any kind of air conditioner and the window didn't open. That didn't matter since at this time of year it was mild and we could cope with that. We were told that not all rooms had t.v.s but ours did.

Over all we liked the candor and friendliness of the reception folks and when we decided to take the room they were very accomodating in terms of trying to make us comfortable.

It was Saturday night and the construction workeres were all socializing and a little noisy, but that didn't really bother us. The breakfast was modest-sweet rolls, donuts, cold cereal, etc., but sufficient.

If you have modest expectations I think this is a decent place. I can't vouch for the condition of the other rooms, but in our the beds were comfortable, and everything worked fine. I would stay here again but would check out the room before committing, and if it was any hotter or colder I'd want a room with some climate control.

• Liked — convenient location, free wi-fi, nice looking property
  • Disliked — some problems with the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AJVermont
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed May 13, 2007

The Carolinian works just fine if you are looking for a comfortable, affordable place to sleep at night and not looking for a beach resort. My girlfriend and I needed a place to stay for the weekend that was away from Bike Week at Myrtle and away from the prices in the Pawleys or Charlestown areas. What we found at the Carolinian was just what we needed. For $66(AAA) a night we got a clean room with a king sized bed that met our needs just fine. We drove up to Pawleys, 11miles up Hwy 17, for beach access. We didn't use the pool as we never stayed at the hotel long enough to have time but we did check it out: small and old in a brick courtyard, would have used if we had time. The hotel is old so you should set your expectations for that. For nightlife/dining the hotel is just a few blocks (walkable if you are not lazy) from Georgetown's "Historic District". Not to be mistaken with Charlestown's historic area but G'towns waterfront was nice, clean and my favorite part: not crowded. We found a great open deck bar and grill overlooking the inlet. The service was fun and friendly, not the fake friendly you get at more popular beach areas. However, it's clear what keeps Gtown from being popular, the waterfront area overlooks a looming paper plant and steel mill that runs 24 hours. Get over that eyesore and you can have a really good time here.

• Liked — Low Price
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2006

OMG~ What an experience I had and am still having!
I checked in on a Thursday night around 10:30. The man at the front desk was very nice telling me that on the "good side" he only had a smoking room available. (that should have been my cue to leave). I went to see the room and it was ok, not to bad of a smoke odor. I went back and said I would take it. After checking in, I made a quick cell phone call and noticed the smoke smell was getting worst.(like it was coming out of the AC unit). I went back and explained the situation, the man at the front desk was very nice saying he would take the charge off my credit card.
THEN the next week I was banking on-line and noticed that the charge of $68.31 was still on my credit card. I called the Carolina Inn direct and explained the situation. The girl said she would check into it and get right back to me. Two days later I called again and the girl said that there was a note on the Manager's desk saying to charge the card anyway. I was not believing this. Of course the Manager was not there for me to speak with. I immediatly called my bank and explained and they are taking care of the matter.
So, from the nightmare that I had--- Stay away.. keep driving!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2006

Althought they must have a nice room to show, the rooms we had were pitiful. Cracked storefront glass, horrible smell, showers didn't work, carpets needed vacuuming and light bulbs burnt out...and no offer to change them from front desk staff on this particular night. I would make a different choice...keep driving.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgetown
Hampton Inn Georgetown - Marina
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,640 reviews

Been to Carolinian Inn? Share your experiences!