“Not recommended, let me count the reasons.....”

Royal Garden Resort
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We are currently guests here until August 21st. Unfortunately, we paid in advance and are stuck.

First impressions were not good, I am recovering from foot/ankle surgery and the only elevator that goes to the ground level has been broken more than not since we arrived last Saturday. I spoke with a woman and her elderly mother yesterday who told me they have been here for two weeks and the elevator has rarely worked. This is a building with 16 floors. This means I have to climb two flights of stairs to get to the other level to take the elevator up to our 8th floor condo. We we asked about this, we were told that I could just walk the long walk up and down the parking garage ramps.

The lobby area where the elevators are and the elevators themselves are truly disgusting. The floors are very slimy with water, sand and who knows what else and the smell in the elevator from beach level is terrible. The elevators are also VERY slow. This morning we waited 12 minutes for the elevator in the middle of the day though there are not many people here today.

The pool is full of sand, which I guess is to be expected right next to the beach, but we have stayed in other resorts in within 100 feet of this place and never experienced it to this level. There is also a disgusting film of oil on the top and hair in the outdoor pool. The pool deck area is in serious need of repainting & new or cleaned up chairs.

This morning, we were woke to violent hammering and drilling on the floor above us. Upon investigation, we find out that someone is replacing carpeting and laminate flooring (NOT an emergency and certainly not something that should be done during tourist season). They said "they should be done in a couple of days". It's so loud we have to yell to talk to one another inside our condo.

Our room is gross. The carpeting in the master bedroom is filthy and matted. The blankets smelled like they have not been washed all summer and the washer/dryer are so tiny it has taken us since Saturday to wash everything so we can use it. Very, very disgusting. The sofa and love seat are so gross we have had to cover them them towels and sheets to sit on them. The kitchen is very nice, looks like it was recently re-done. The sliding door is difficult to open and trying to sit out and enjoy a nice dinner on the patio is impossible from all of the smoking in the units on either side of this, though it's supposed to be non-smoking. The bathrooms in this unit are OK. You can only run the dishwasher or the washer or take a shower one at a time or it overflows into the master bathroom.

This bldg also happens to be one of those where the entire beach in front of it disappears twice a day at high tide because of how the pool area in the front is built out.

There is a game room but most of the stuff in it is broken or doesn't work correctly and it is closed most of the time, as is the on-site restaurant/grill/little convenience store. The fitness center is only for people who own units in this bldg and you have to have a special key to enter.

So basically, do not stay here, it's definitely not worth the money, the management is unresponsive and uncaring about their guests (we actually rented this unit through a rental company but there is on-site mgt), the entire place needs a good scrubbing and makeover, this particular unit is way below our expectations (and I'm usually pretty easy to please)....One Ocean Place or Horizon East are other units we've rented in the area and they were REALLY nice, but we'll go back to renting private homes from here on out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank lilla-svenska
There are newer reviews for Royal Garden Resort

Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was our first time staying in the Royal Garden Resort Room 101. I can only say, don't stay there. It is not worth the money. The first night we were there, my husband went to close the sliding glass door and the whole frame fell off. It took them 6 days to finally fix it. That same night, the toilet in the half bath started to foam, girgle and when flushed overflowed on the floor. The second night, the toilet in the master bedroom overflowed. Throughout the week they both girgled loudly. I believe it was our third night that the ceiling in the half bath started leaking. I called Garden City Realty and was told that they would have someone out the next day to fix it and that if it was just the ceiling tiles that were wet, those were easy to replace. That leads me to believe that this has happened many many times before. Well we never did see anyone come and repair it and the ceiling tiles are sagging pretty bad. All the bathroom ceilings are drop ceilings and I was afraid that they were going to fall into the shower with me when I was taking a shower. We actually had a few days of not problems until the last night. My husband turned down the airconditioning and it started making this loud rattling sound that lasted for about a minuted. Luckily, it didn't make any more noise, and I was happy to say goodbye to this place the next day.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank tarknshark
Reviewed July 17, 2010

When i booked this oceanfront condo online i thought i was getting a great deal but it turned out that was not the case! Elevaters did not work. I had many people tell me that they had got stuck on it...so i guess it was a good thing i could never catch it. They said they had free wireless but when we checked in they told us that the only place that you could use your laptop was in the lobby....i dont know about you but i dont want to drag my three year old dont to a lobby to check my email. The indoor pool was gross and the lights inside of it were honestly hanging in the pool by a wire. Sorry but that doesnt sound to safe to me. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS RESORT...IF YOU COULD CALL IT THAT WAS THE OCEANFRONT VIEW. Next year i will pay an extra $200 and stay somewhere nicer!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank ctf3907
Reviewed June 13, 2010

The staff was friendly. The room was average. Unfortunately right before morning a trip to our bathroom revealed a leaking cealing and alot of it. Not sure where the water came from and am afraid to ask. Called the front but got to security because it was before 7am and he assured us it would be fixed. When we checked out at 9:30 no one had ever come. The lady at the front desk was very apologetic however nothing was done to fix the problem. We decided to give them another chance and will be returning in a few weeks..... We see if it is any different. I hope so. Guess it depends on what you'er looking for.For the price, other than our bathroom it was ok, not nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debmatt
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We rented a unit from Dunes Realty and were optimistic about our stay. I knew it would be small but the kids room didn't even have a dresser. It was basically a closet with 2 twin beds. Everything about the complex was so budget. The units are set up so that the air conditioning cuts off if you open the balcony door. The balconies have 2 hard plastic lawn chairs to sit on and that's it. The den area is so small that there is no way all 4 of us could have watched TV together at the same time and the kids room doesn't have a TV. There were 224 units there and only 1 outside pool and 1 inside pool. The appearance of the pool area is really poor and the bumpy concrete gave my kids blisters on all of their toes. Everyone who stayed there was either drunk or covered from head to toe in tatoos which is ok if that is what you are expecting. Not good with little kids. The whole place is compact and overcrowded and the wait for an elevator takes forever.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank shawright1
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Great location, walking distance to pier, restaurants, 5 minutes to grocery store. Jen at the front desk and in reservations was wonderful, helpful, patient even after we made several changes to our reservations. the 3 bedroom condo was much larger than the 2, very comfortable for 6 people, the view and the balcony are fabulous. Would stay here again any time we go to Garden City (which is quieter and less touristy than Myrtle Beach).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We have stayed at this resort several years now for more than one occasion and had an amazing trip. The staff is very friendly and extrememly helpful. And the amenities are more than comparable. We have stayed in 1,2, and 3 bedroom condos and each one was clean and nicely decorated. We will continue to take groups to stay at these condos in the future!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
#4 of 5 in Surfside Beach
Plantation Resort
Plantation Resort
#2 of 5 in Surfside Beach

Been to Royal Garden Resort? Share your experiences!