“pay the extra money and stay somewhere nice!”

Royal Garden Resort
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“pay the extra money and stay somewhere nice!”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

When i booked this oceanfront condo online i thought i was getting a great deal but it turned out that was not the case! Elevaters did not work. I had many people tell me that they had got stuck on it...so i guess it was a good thing i could never catch it. They said they had free wireless but when we checked in they told us that the only place that you could use your laptop was in the lobby....i dont know about you but i dont want to drag my three year old dont to a lobby to check my email. The indoor pool was gross and the lights inside of it were honestly hanging in the pool by a wire. Sorry but that doesnt sound to safe to me. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS RESORT...IF YOU COULD CALL IT THAT WAS THE OCEANFRONT VIEW. Next year i will pay an extra $200 and stay somewhere nicer!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank ctf3907

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2010

The staff was friendly. The room was average. Unfortunately right before morning a trip to our bathroom revealed a leaking cealing and alot of it. Not sure where the water came from and am afraid to ask. Called the front but got to security because it was before 7am and he assured us it would be fixed. When we checked out at 9:30 no one had ever come. The lady at the front desk was very apologetic however nothing was done to fix the problem. We decided to give them another chance and will be returning in a few weeks..... We see if it is any different. I hope so. Guess it depends on what you'er looking for.For the price, other than our bathroom it was ok, not nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debmatt
Loganville, Georgia
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We rented a unit from Dunes Realty and were optimistic about our stay. I knew it would be small but the kids room didn't even have a dresser. It was basically a closet with 2 twin beds. Everything about the complex was so budget. The units are set up so that the air conditioning cuts off if you open the balcony door. The balconies have 2 hard plastic lawn chairs to sit on and that's it. The den area is so small that there is no way all 4 of us could have watched TV together at the same time and the kids room doesn't have a TV. There were 224 units there and only 1 outside pool and 1 inside pool. The appearance of the pool area is really poor and the bumpy concrete gave my kids blisters on all of their toes. Everyone who stayed there was either drunk or covered from head to toe in tatoos which is ok if that is what you are expecting. Not good with little kids. The whole place is compact and overcrowded and the wait for an elevator takes forever.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank shawright1

Travelers are raving about these Garden City Beach hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Great location, walking distance to pier, restaurants, 5 minutes to grocery store. Jen at the front desk and in reservations was wonderful, helpful, patient even after we made several changes to our reservations. the 3 bedroom condo was much larger than the 2, very comfortable for 6 people, the view and the balcony are fabulous. Would stay here again any time we go to Garden City (which is quieter and less touristy than Myrtle Beach).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
SC
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We have stayed at this resort several years now for more than one occasion and had an amazing trip. The staff is very friendly and extrememly helpful. And the amenities are more than comparable. We have stayed in 1,2, and 3 bedroom condos and each one was clean and nicely decorated. We will continue to take groups to stay at these condos in the future!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Wow...First of all, it is a run down hotel with no maid service. The realty companies that book the rooms provide the maid service. It should go without saying that the services are used all over Garden City so they are usually in a hurry and do half the job.
When we arrived, our room smelled like a bar full of cigarette smoke. The bathroom in fact had cigarette butts in the toilet and shower. The toilet had fecal matter all over the inside and on the seat. The floors, beds, and tables were absolutely disgusting.
I am not a very picky type person. I can adapt to most situations, but this was nasty, smelly, and with a 3 year old little girl, I was afraid to even let her sit on the bed.
Now we have only stayed there once. I am sure the maid services do clean and this may have been an oversite, however; the resort feel just isnt there. The pool is small, there is nothing for kids, no restaurant, it is really outdated. Resort should not be in the name. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CaptainSD
North Carolina
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE! My stay at the Royal Garden Resort was absolutely the worst ever! Firstly after we pulled up, I find teenage boys shooting pellets at cars! Secondly, after I paid for the room and checked in only then do I discover that there is NO maid service. Oh yea, after we settled in and I took a shower, of course you are going to walk around the room barefoot. Not this place, when I got into bed the bottoms of my feet were black from walking on the floor in our unit. At that time I got to noticing actually how gritty and grimy the room was. So I popped down to BiLo and picked up some clorox wipes and cleaned the bathrooms and sinks and doorknobs, and everything else. YUCK!! you could not believe what I picked up with those wipes from around the sink's surface and black and green gunk from around the faucets. I was so affraid of picking up something and getting sick that I didn't leave my toothbrush or anything laying out, so when I was done, I just packed everything back up. Yes we had a full kitchen in the unit BUT, there was not so much as dish washing liquid provided. If we wanted clean towels we had to go between 10am and 2pm to exchange them out for clean ones, allegedly clean anyway. If you missed the towel exchange times, you would have to pay a fee for clean towels. They smelt like they had been thrown in the dryer without being washed with soap. None of the balcony's were private as it was stated on the telephone when I booked the room. Which was a one bedroom, our daughter was to sleep on the foldout sofa, however the sofa was about 25 years old, so you can only imagine how "comfortable" the bed was. Needless to say she was not able to sleep on the foldout, it felt like rocks! Just horrible, don't waste your money or time at this so called "resort"

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 5 in Surfside Beach

Been to Royal Garden Resort? Share your experiences!