“Water's Edge is not what it used to be” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waters Edge Resort

Waters Edge Resort
A TripAdvisor Member
“Water's Edge is not what it used to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2004

After staying at this resort many times over the last 7 years we found this year's stay an experience we won't forget. After two visits from the bug man we felt assured that they couldn’t control the cockroaches. Also the smell of the suite was unbearable and carpet was the worst. Beds were uncomfortable and the general up keep of the resort was being ignored. We have had our last stay at Water’s Edge Resort.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Timmonsville,SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2004

My wife and I went to the Waters Edge this past weekend for our anniversary (9/24/04 - 9/25/04) Just a romantic weekend. We stayed here 2 years ago and it was nice. But we were in for a suprise! We requested the 15th floor when we made our reservations but when we got there they only had 11th floor. Only after threatening to cancel payment and leaving did they do us the great favor of granting our wish on the 15th floor. Our room looked nasty and old (not at all like it was before) . Our second day the cleaning service never showed up. Around 11 am I called them and the cleaning lady told me that if I needed clean towels then that is what our washer and drier was for, we could wash them ourselves. So I called the front desk and told them how rude the cleaning lady was. They responded by letting me know,that is what the washer and drier was for !! I told them we didnt have any detergent and they said that we could come downstairs and purchase some from the Hotel !!!! So I asked if I could be refunded my money from the 2nd night so we could go somewhere else and of course the answer was NO. They were so rude I couldnt believe what I was hearing. And to top it all off, we didnt see one other person staying on the 15th floor all weekend (but they didnt have any rooms) I was also informed that most places dont even give you towels to begin with, you have to bring your own!! They must really think people are stupid.

4 Thank tbonejr

Travelers are raving about these Garden City Beach hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2004

We visited the week storms bonnie and charley slammed into the are. With the threat of a direct hit, we elected to leave the morning of 8/13. In response to our request for a refund for the two nights we would not be staying, the answer was a resounding NO. Yet, later that evening there was a mandatory evacuation of the area.

Will we visit again? NO WAY!!

• Stayed August 2004
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2004

While at Waters Edge, had a vehicle to be towed , from the side of the resort, which had a Water's Edge tag in the window. The security guards instructed the driver to park on the road , due to the parking deck being full. This was on Friday night, Saturday evening the family went to go to the Pavillion and the van was gone. NO one had notified the guests, and the only way they found out was when they called for more towels , that the car had been towed, they told us at first that it must have been stolen, and then they called the police. They also refused to pay for the tow ,and the car had been towed as of 3pm that afternoon, and the family didn't know it. We have stayed at Water's Edge for the past 2 years, but this was it. The staff at the front desk , especially the young male has a very nasty attitude and they do not respect their patrons.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

This was our first - and last - trip to the Water's Edge. We stayed there July 19-23 and I was never happier to leave a place in my life. The hotel is very run down - this is not a place where you want to walk anywhere without flip-flops on. The carpet is filthy, the elevators are disgusting and another reviewer mentioned a dog - I think I saw that same dog in the pool! The chlorine in the pool was very high in the a.m., which is probably a good thing, based on all the bodies in it during the day. I got in the pool once and the Jacuzzi none. The beach was so packed, I could hear the conversations of everyone around me. We could barely get a spot for 2 chairs and our umbrella. The first night, after driving all day and a late dinner, we returned to our room to discover our key wouldn't open the door (we had key problems on check in, but decided one of the keys was no good and just used the "good" one, which also ended up not working). It was 10:40 p.m. with 2 tired kids and two very ill parents and the guy at the desk called their maintenance man, who also couldn't get the door open. They had to call a locksmith, who finally had to nearly break the door down to get us in. My 8-year-old was in tears. The guy drew an arrow on the door so we would know which way to turn the key until they could get a new lock on the door, supposedly the next day, which never happened. (Beware of room 1504, especially if that arrow is still drawn on the door). The locksmith was very nice, however, and got there, not in the 5 minutes they said it would take, but maybe about 15. Their maintenance man was also nice. Forgot to mention -on check in, even though I told the guy that one of my children is terrified of heights, he put us on the 15th floor - and the place only has 15 floors! To their credit, I did see people cleaning the elevator floors, vaccuming the carpet (hopeless because of all the sand) and I know they tried to keep the pool clean, but when you let dogs in, how clean can you really keep the place? The people down the hall partied like crazy - I know this because they came in drunk nearly every night and woke us up with their yelling and singing. And if you don't like fireworks, tough, because even though their rules say no fireworks, people set them off every night. I think someone did make them stop around 11, but if you have small kids who need to be asleep by 9 or 10, that won't happen. All in all, a bad enough experience that I definitely won't consider this place again. (If, however, despite my review, you do go to Garden City, there are wonderful restaurants in Murrell's Inlet. Seafare has a great, but pricey, buffet that included prime rib, crab legs, desserts, soups, salad, and the best green beans I've ever had. It was nearly $100 for 2 adults and a 12 and 8 year old. Just find somewhere else to stay other than Water's Edge.)

1 Thank nervousnelly2
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2004

My family and I have been going to this hotel for the past 3 years. We love the spacious rooms and the view, but the staff has been less than friendly and the carpets and couches have always had spots on them that we could not identify. We usually cover them with a sheet so we can sit down without wondering what we are sitting on. We have just returned from Water's Edge. We were there on July 15-18th 2004 and that will be our last time we go to this hotel. Again the staff was not friendly and our room was dirtier this time. We also had an incident where the people we were traveling with van was towed off of Water's Edge property and they told us they were not going to do anything about it even after they told us to park in that area outside of the hotel. We wanted to call the police from their office and we were told it would be $1 to use the phone. The chlorine was so high in the pool that it changed the color of our bathing suits. They also let someone bring their dog into the swimming pool. As we were checking out they kept calling our room to make sure we were gone. Even some staff employees told us they would not even stay at this hotel. We will never go back.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2004

Loved it rooms were awesome view was awesome
beach so awesome nice pool would go back in a heartbeat

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,532 reviews

Been to Waters Edge Resort? Share your experiences!