“Disappointed in BW Carowinds”

Best Western Carowinds
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Fort Mill
“Disappointed in BW Carowinds”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel is difficult to find for travelers. Our room was awkwardly laid out. No convenient restaurants that were not fast-food. Amenities in room included microwave and refrigerator, but provided no dining sized table and only one chair. Hair found on sheet. At night I could hear feet stomping above and doors slamming, which made it difficult to fall asleep. Noises woke me up a few times as well. Breakfast provided was sub-standard as compared to many stays in various BW's. Even the staff was less friendly and helpful than past experiences. Maybe this is because this hotel is in a cluster of other similar chains right across the highway from the Carowinds amusement park. No excuse.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank 397cynthiam
Elizabeth S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Carowinds, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We would like to apologize for the difficulty of finding our hotel, we are working on ways to improve the visibility of the hotel, and also we are updating the directions on our website and our partners websites as well. I would also like to apologize that you did not find that your room met your expectations, we take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel the issue with the hair being found is unacceptable and housekeeping has been spoken to. The front desk staff as well, we want our guests to feel this is their home away from home everyone is to be welcomed in a friendly and efficient manner. We are currently updating the breakfast choices, we are having a new cabinet installed to provide more space for sausage biscuits, and other hot items. We hope that you will return and give us a second chance! I can promise you will not be disappointed a second time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2014

On Friday night, June 6, 2014, I drove to Charlotte to take my daughter and 3 of her friends to Carowinds for my daughter's 16th birthday. I made the reservation in advance, checked this website, and even called and talked to 2 separate staff members, specifically asking them if they have had any issues with bed bugs. We arrived at the hotel just before 2200 since we had a 5 hour drive. My daughter asked if they could allow them to swim for a little bit while I went up and inspected the room. My first impression of the hotel was how clean it was for an older hotel and that it had a strange (not in a bad way) powder smell-the WHOLE hotel smelled that way. So I went up and did the usual bed bug inspection. I did not notice anything (the box spring did have a zip-up cover around it) at that time so I left the lights on and went back down to watch the girls swim. At about 2210, they were done so we went back up to the room. I sat in the chair facing the beds and noticed a "dot" on the wall I hadn't previously noticed. As my daughter showered, I noticed the "dot" had moved. I climbed up to get a closer look-it was an ADULT BED BUG! I googled the image and even took pictures of it. I evacuated the room and went directly to the desk. The girl that was working, Brittinie, was on the phone for a few minutes taking a reservation. When she hung up the phone, she asked if she could help me. I advised her I needed my card fully refunded because there were bed bugs in my room. She didn't say anything-not an "I'm sorry" or a surprised look. She quietly refunded my card (which I will have to verify since this all happened over the weekend). We left and had to drive all over Charlotte for more than an hour trying to find a suitable location to stay. Be careful in Charlotte, there are a lot of hotels-but most have bed bugs! We stayed at the Drury 20 miles away because of this!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Elizabeth S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Carowinds, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Ms. Emily,

We apologize that you feel your stay was not pleasant and up to your standards. Because of your concern the front desk agent refunded your money and didn't question you concerning the incident. However we took the matter very seriously as our property is treated every month for all pests including bed bugs by a professional company, with whom we have a contract. Once you had left the property the room was fully inspected by the professional company as based on your complaint and everything was taken out and examined, they however found no evidence of any type of bug in the room. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. We are sorry that you chose to leave and go to another hotel, and we hope this review does not deter other guests as our hotel does not have any type of bugs including bed bugs. We hope you have an excellent day and continue choosing Best Western.
Savannah, United States
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel was clean, outside and inside. It is very close to Carowinds, probably the cleanest hotel on that exit. I thought the room rate was a little high, but I guess it was worth it. The breakfast was minimal but what you would expect, waffle iron, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, etc. The pool is small but clean. The front desk staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Diane O
Altamonte Springs, United States
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We visit this hotel frequently. I am always happy with the way we are greeted and treated. The staff is always friendly. For us the location is great just right off of the interstate. I like the convenience of the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCAROWINDS, Front Office Manager at Best Western Carowinds, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 803-548-8400.

Front Desk
Management
BEST WESTERN Carowinds
Lithia, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This was a rather inexpensive cost cutting measure for us. This Hotel was a bit tucked away from the main road, and hence, a bit harder to find (it was on a dead end of a street) Can't complain about the price, though, compared to the other hotels in the area, it was a bargain. The breakfast left a lotto be desired. "Hot " Breakfast was laughable, and to economise, they cut teh tow muffins ina package in half. lmao. we chose to go elsewhere for breakfast, but the coffee was good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

East Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The overall hotel was great. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy & the area around it was well groomed & kept. Brittany, who works the front desk, was especially nice. The only problem we had was there was a group of children around 6-10 yrs who were there on a field trip. The were very loud & the chaperones were worse. When I spoke to the front desk, they took action & things calmed down. The loudness of the group wasn't the hotels fault, but their halls are very short, so noise travels. If you make reservations, try to see if there are any groups staying & ask for a room away from them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from large groups