Clarion Hotel at Carowinds
$56
  • Pool
Quality Inn Carowinds(Fort Mill)(Great Value!)
$84
QualityInn
Comfort Inn At Carowinds(Fort Mill)(Great Value!)
$90
$80
ComfortInn
$109
$71
Country Inn
Best Western Carowinds(Fort Mill)(Great Value!)
$93
$85
$118
Priceline
$84
HIExpress.com
$97
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspresidential suitefull kitchenbeds were comfortablestaff was very friendlycarowinds amusement parkphillips
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I booked 4 rooms through priceline, after reading reviews was afraid to see rooms, I thought I would be paying for 4 more rooms at another motel, but was very surprized!! Hotel is older, which only made us wonder about any unique history. We all enjoyed our stay , the breakfast was convenient and plentiful. I have to add we had several of our rooms on the 2nd floor and on the 8th floor. The rooms were clean. There were no complaints from anyone. Our party had 8 adults and 4 children (with ranging) ages. Front desk could not have been more helpful or friendly !! Would stay there again. Pool was not cleaned or serviced for use, since we really didn't have time for swimming it wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed October 17, 2008

Conveniently located just across the street from Carowinds. The Plaze Hotel is also minutes away from Downtown Charlotte, Bank of America Stadium, Lowes Moter Speedway, and Discovery Place. There are a few restaurants within walking distance and others in close proximity. The hotel could use some updating, but the price is comparable for the room quality. One side of the hotel overlooks its best feature, the swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. Stayed for two nights - we were put on the 7th floor - as soon as we got off the elevator a distinct odor of cat urine attacked the senses. Once we entered our room the smell was not as bad - but by the 2nd day I had a sore throat and had lost my voice. After arriving back home watched a special on effects of mold and realized that most likely that is why I had the "flu-like" symtoms since they went away within 12 hours of leaving the hotel.
Most frustrating was being asked to give a good review of the hotel and to bring it with me for my next visit to receive 50% off - this was not requested of me until check out time of course - or I would have been wary right from the start. I realize we should have moved to different hotel but was there to visit family and didn't have time to hassle with the hotel staff. My advise, stay anywhere but this hotel on Carrowinds Blvd. Call around to local businesses for advice - the Flamingo Bar/Grill folks actually had heard of this problem and gave good advice for our next stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ppamm581
Reviewed January 20, 2008

we stopped here because we had stayed in the chain motels at the exit previously and they were not satisfactory (noisy, drug dealing, parties, etc.). When I went into the desk the clerk told me the rate but said they had a coupon in the travel books. We left, went down the road, got a coupon book, and returned. That saved us about $20. We got to the room and the bedding was very nice and they had pillow top mattresses. Everything worked in the room, the bathroom was very large and everything was OK there. Previous reviewers mentioned the peeling paint on the tiles in the bathroom, yes it probably was a bad idea, but it didn't bother me. We were just so glad to find an older hotel that had walls thick enough that you weren't kept awake by the people upstairs, etc.

We got food to go from the restaurant on the premises. They serve Peruvian food and it was quite unusual. It was truly exotic and different. We enjoyed it. The restaurant doubles as a bar in the evening and we went there and listened to a good dj and just enjoyed watching the ethnic peoples in the bar.

I would definitely go to the Plaza again. We travel that road several times a year and find it hard to get a place I feel comfortable in, but this place I did. I am not a person that requires really fancy surroundings, but I do want a friendly staff, clean floors, and safety. The Plaza provided that.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Plaza hotel. I was on a 3 day business trip where internet access is essential. The 'Free" internet access is etrocious. Dial up would be faster.
Most of the better hotels I've stayed at charge for high speed access. If I could have received that option, I would have gladly taken it. Unfortunately this was not the case. The only other option was the "Business Center" which consisted of a room with a single PC but no printer nor fax. Although the pc did perform at reasonable speed, most of the time a child was playing games on it. I passed there over 15 times during my 3 days and the child was only abscent once.

The other amenities are comensurate with the internet service. Illumination throughout the hotel is dim which serves to hide the cobwebs, carpet stains and non matching carpets. They replaced the carpeting in my room but left the coving with the previous carpet on it in place. Definately not very attractive. The biggest annoyance was the bathroom. The hot water was continuously variable so you could not set the faucets for a comfortable temperature. Most of the time it was either very, very, hot or ice cold. The latex paint was peeling off the tiles in the shower (Why would anyone paint on tile??) The were no small bars of soap, shampoo, body lotion, etc. If you went the the front desk, they would supply small aluminum envelopes (the size of the Ketchups at MacDonalds or Burger King) and even the toilet paper was almost empty in the room. Even the headboard on one of the beds (wall mounted) was cocked at a 30 degree angle. You have to call maid service to get an adequate amount of towels.

The staff was courteous and tried to be of help but the facility is just a one star motel.

I choose this hotel based on it's 3 star rating. It really is a one star motel.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business