“Don't stay here.”

Clarion Hotel at Carowinds
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Fort Mill
“Don't stay here.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The owner is not only obnoxious but, needs to take a kindergarten class on proper etiquette and manners. Too bad, the staff is wonderful from everyone from the front desk to the cleaning people. Wouldn't stay there again if it was free simply because of the owner's lack of common courtesy. If he wasn't the owner, I'd highly recommend...

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank acgfm19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I am a Choice addict because of their promotions that award one free-for-two nights and other deals, but lately some of the properties that I have used for several years have deteriorated. Inattention to cleaning maintenance and just a general trend that maximizes ROI seems to be the norm at a lot of the Choice properties. Having said that, I gave this Clarion a try on the South side of Charlotte after having spent several years at another Choice property in the area.

Pleasantly surprised! The rate was within 10 bucks of the "down-market" Choice brand next door. Clarion does not offer a free breakfast nor a newspaper (bummer!) as other Choice properties do, but this Clarion was a good value. It's a high-rise property, and the rooms are a bit small, but the bedding and bathroom facilities appeared fairly current. I did notice that the staff needs to do a better job of cleaning the carpets and especially in the corners of the room and bath, as I noticed a lot of dirt and HAIR that had obviously been there for some time.

Television had been upgraded to Flat-Screen and some of the channels were in HD, I think. That has now become one of my ratings criteria. If the owners of a hotel have not made the change to Flat-screen TV, it's an indication to me that they do not intend to keep the property current, and are only milking the maximum profit possible before disposing of the property. They lose my considerable business in the process, and also of those who read my reviews!

I am sooooo influential in that regard, you know :) !

So... would recommend this property. I advise them to keep the rates competitive and have their staff at least occasionally give the rooms a thorough cleaning to keep discerning customers like me happy! Oh, yeah, and be sure to remind the desk clerks to make the effort to recognize an Elite Diamond member when they arrive for check-in. You never know who is carrying 1000-point reward certificates in their briefcase just for that moment. The clerk for this stay failed the test!!!! But, that's OK. I'll be back to give them another chance. :)

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms will be quieter and avoid the lounge noise. This property is quite close to I-77...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Liberty, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We checked in 8-9-13, and got a room with someone already in it (rm 911) then were switched to room 618 that was dirty..Then switched to 622 at 8;41pm,. The thing that really bothered me was the attitude of the front desk workers, they acted like I was bothering them..I was the one that was paying for the room, and lugging our suit cases up and dwn the halls not them, they never offered to help and omg they didnt even have luggage carts,and didnt seem to care. THAT WAS IT, I'm done..Then the next morning a very nice lady (Phyllis Graham) checked us out and saved the day...She is the only reason I would consider visiting this Hotel again..Wished I had gotten the other two girls names. But Im sure someone could figure it out,,they need ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENTS .!

Room Tip: one that is not occupied or dirty ...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Conway, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a great hotel. They are much more up to date with their style of rooms. We stayed on the tenth floor and had a great view of the area along with pool. The Lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful. The only thing i would suggest is to not stay on the first floor during the summer cause it smelled a little stuffy i believe because the of the laundry room being right there on the same hallway but like i said we stayed on the tenth floor, and that i wish the check in time was earlier than three. But this is a very clean and family friendly place along with great location from Carowinds and Food places. We will be returning to the same one next time we visit.

Room Tip: I like views and it has eleven floors!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was a little leary but we were just staying for one night on a stopover. I'm so glad we stayed here. While I don't usually frequent hotel restaurants, this hotel is nearing the completion of renovations, which includes a new restaurant. It was superb, from the courtesy of the staff to the excellent food. My sister arrived before us, and ordered a burger with deep-fried pickles. She said the burger, smothered in mushroom, my fav, was excellent. I never had deep-fried pickles, so I tried one...then another...then another...they were GREAT! We had eaten on the road, so we didn't order any food....but then I got a little hungry. Unfortunately, the grill had closed down just after my sister's order, but I called from our room anyway and asked if we could just order salads. The waiter was over-the-top kind and said absolutely, then offered to add grilled chicken or grilled salmon. I ordered both on the side, along with three salads, tomatoe and mozzarella, wedge and Greek. The dressings on each were homemade and were fantastic! And, not being much of a seafood fan, I was leery about the salmon, but it was to die for...I'm sold! We devoured all of the food between four of us, and found out the next morning that they heard we were driving all day, so they reopened the grill for us. We ate there again for breakfast; I had the eggs benedict with crabcakes, again, excellent. I can't say enough about how great these guys were and although there were signs that the hotel was still undergoing some remodeling, it was a very pleasant stay. The entrance is lovely, warm and open, and the staff was very accommodating. The rooms are face-lifted, new granite in the bath, new furniture, but there are still some minor things that need to be updated; new toilet seats, cleaning the grout, new baseboards, update the sliding doors. But the view is fantastic; my kids got a kick out of watching the rollercoasters from our balcony. We will definitely be making this our halfway point for our trips north and south.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels facing the amusement park.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I just got back from a 2-night stay at the Clarion Carowinds. After reading reviews, I knew what to ask for. This hotel is about halfway through the transformation and renovations. We were visiting for the theme park, so I asked for a higher floor with a room facing the theme park. They granted my request! Although I asked for two beds, the room they gave us had 1 king bed, which ended up being fine for me. Please know that only the top 5 floors have been completely renovated as of July. If you want a room facing the theme park and has been renovated, ask for an odd numbered room on floors 6-11. The view from the balcony is awesome! Plus, we could even see the theme park fireworks from our room at night.

They no longer have a free breakfast, which is disappointing. However, there is free wifi which is a plus. We heard great things about the hotel's restaurant (no joke) but did not have time to enjoy it. The outdoor pool was very nice, although there are no lounge chairs. Plus, it's on the "wrong" side of the hotel so you lose the sun mid-afternoon. The front desk staff were very nice and accommodating. The hotel was clean and quiet, and our room was great. Comfortable bed (felt new), new carpet, new bathroom parts (countertop was new, ceiling wasn't), flat screen TV with tons of channels,and overall, for the price, we were incredibly happy with the hotel.

If I had gotten a non-renovated room, I'm sure my review would have been different, but as long as you know what to ask for, it's a great bargain!

Room Tip: Like I mentioned, try to get an odd numbered room on floors 6-11 for the best view and results!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bibbseat55
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Staying in room 217. Our room looks nothing even close to their pictures. The bedspread had rips, burns, and stains. The beds were old with oak headboards. The tv was an old one inside an old scratched up and banged up tv cabinet not the flat screen on the nice dresser in the picture and their ad states flat screens/plasma and high def in all rooms. The chair is old and has stains on it. The carpet is old and nasty. The side table still rings and stuff from where the last guest had their drink there. The desk is old and beat-up and there is no chair. The lamps are old and yellowed. The sheets had stains on them. Their page states microwaves in all room and we dont have one. Oh yeah and the balcony they talk about is about 12 inches, smaller than my feet so I cant even go out on it. Better business bureau needs to get ahold of this company for bait and switch. We will never stay here again. Just trying to get through this trip to Carowinds.

Room Tip: Want a good room, dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte
Sonesta ES Suites Charlotte
#10 of 178 in Charlotte
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley

Been to Clarion Hotel at Carowinds? Share your experiences!