“Absolutely the worst hotel experience I have ever had!!!!!!”

Clarion Hotel at Carowinds
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Fort Mill
Avon Park, Florida
“Absolutely the worst hotel experience I have ever had!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Do not stay here!!! I booked this room on hotels.com and will be complaining to them! This property is under renovation but that is no excuse for the myriad of problems. There were ants ALL over the bathroom and black hair in the tub upon check-in (we are all blonde). The door to the room wouldn't close and latch. You can hear the screams from the nearby amusement park. The ice machine is hidden and broken- but there is a convenience store where you can buy ice...the "balcony" isn't wide enough to turn around on and the pool in the pictures was not the one here!!! No golf course either...we stayed overnight while travelling looking for a nice shower and a good night's sleep but this is NOT the place for it!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karieboo76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
North Augusta, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I took my family to Carowinds and we stayed at the Plaza Hotel... First of all the room was $40 (because they are doing some remodeling and the rate was lower due to the construction). When the work is finished the hotel looks like it will look AMAZING!!! The lady at the front desk Saturday afternoon when we got there was so helpful and nice. She helped us get settled in our room and was so polite about it. The hotel is on its way to being a 5-star hotel no doubt!!!! We will most definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Over look the mess, they are on their way to being one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stayed...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kennesaw
Reviewed August 5, 2012

this place calling themselves "The Plaza Hotel" just should NOT be allowed.Its misleading to say the least. I booked this hotel through hotels.com thinking that would be a good choice and a relaible place. I read online that they were doing renovations to the hotel so i asked the agent if they were done already. Basicly the hotels.com agent lied to us about several things so beware when booking indirectly. the hotel was in complete shambles every place i looked. The breakfast that supposedly ended at 11am, was ended at 9:30 consisted of a pathetic small table of danish small bagels and a sip of orange juice... not suited to this huge hotel. The pool showed signs of a lower class residence in tenancy....weird....like people and their kids living there. UNfair to travelers on vacation. The front desk was helpful in sorting out our misassigned room type.We were supposed to be in a two bedroom but recieved a two ROOM appointment. Again i do believe some of these issues was misinformation by the booking agent but still this place left a lot to be desired. NOT even TEA bags at the breakfast stand. C'mon guys really??? They told me this location is being made into a clarion hotel. HOPE so cause this place was EHHH...to say the least. The rate of $62.99 should have been adjusted after so many dissappointments. Wait til the hotelrenovation is complete and call directly to avoid scams.

Room Tip: choose one where you can see the fireworks from carowinds at 10 pm or a step out balcony if you need...
1 Thank Exwaitressfoodie

Travelers are raving about these Fort Mill hotels

pawleys island, sc
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I took a trip with my family to go to Carowinds and stayed here for one night. I paid only 87 bucks for two adjoining rooms.When i arrived i was a little concerned, however, I knew there were renovations going on so I took that into consideration. When I went to check in, the lady, Phyllis(i think) who is also the manager was dealing with an unhappy customer on the phone. She was very patient and professional and she handled the person way better than I would have. She was very friendly and even allowed us to use parking the following day while at the park since we had two cars. ;) The hallways and lobby area are worn and the carpet in those areas was dingy, but that part obviously hasn't been replaced yet. Our rooms were clean, freshly painted and the bathroom vanity and mirror were clearly new and so nice. I have done housekeeping, so the first thing i check is the mattress and sheets (which were both clean and crisp) the matress pad appeared to be new as well. I took the bedpread off (as i would in any hotel, to find there was no blanket between the flat sheet and the bedspread. (Normally there would be.) Other than that the beds were fine-comfortable and clean. One of our rooms didnt not have cable hooked up, but since we were only staying the night and we were all together it wasnt that big of a deal to us. Overall it was well worth the money! I am an average working class mother of three and i can overlook a little dust and construction stuff- but if you can't, stay somewhere else. This isn't a fancy resort, but it is an inexpensive, clean, safe, and convenient hotel.

1 Thank Hilary D
Lyman, South Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is our third time staying at the plaza. Yes it is having remodeling done to improve its already nice rooms and facility.The room was great and beds and and bathroom was very clean and comfortable. The staff which is under Mrs. Phyllis Graham was all very nice and very helpful in all areas. I would and will definitely stay here again.

Anthony Poole

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2012

One thing that comes to mind is this place is a front for drugs. The entire first floor smells like people are dealing weed out of the hotel (Maybe that is how they stay in business because I see many people disputing the charges of this hotel) The Elevators even smell like Weed. Not to mention there are roaches in the room and this place is a nightmare if you have any breathing conditions ! This Hotel never told us that they were renovating as if they would had I would have went some place else! When we got there they told us it would be $15 more for a clean room that didn't come from the 1970's....... yep there are even the bed bugs...... Avoid this place they also didn't clean our room up for two days and they didn't do anything about it. No wonder they have roaches considering they never clean your room. I will upload some true pics of this place

Room Tip: Stay anyplace but this even a Motel 6 heck they leave the light on for you this place doesn't ev...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Newton Falls, Ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2012

7/9/2012 stopped at the Plaza Hotel. entered the lobby with nice tile floors, leather furniture, a baby grand piano. noted the ceiling was open exposing pipes and wires. did not stop me from registering. clerk pleasant. was directed to our room. upon entering hallway door i noted very old and dirty carpet. upon entering our room noted a dirty musty odor, dirty carpet, and insuffecient air conditioning for the 90+ outside temp. should have asked for money back and gone somewhere else, but had driven all day and was tired. walking my dog was a real chore there was construction trash all over the outside area.. no ice machine on the level one floor. could take elevtor to 4th or ninth floor. the linen was clean with a wrap around the mattress. the mattress was very comfortable. upon speaking with a clerk the next morning, i was informed that remodel would continue thru sept. 2012. no floor is finished many rooms are empty. stay clear of this place on your travels

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Country Inn & Suites at Carowinds
Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Mill
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlotte/Ayrsley
Hyatt Place Charlotte/Arrowood

Been to Clarion Hotel at Carowinds? Share your experiences!