“We'd Stay Again.”

Quality Inn at Carowinds
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Fort Mill
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed there twice this month. Clean, comfortable, spacious rooms. Well-lit parking area. Good hot breakfast service. Short walk (100 yards) to well-known
country dining chain. Excellent value. Easy on/off Interstate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank GrampsX11
janiecar, General Manager at Quality Inn at Carowinds, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at the Quality Inn Carowinds. Positive feedback from our guest are great tools to keep each of us motivated to continue providing excellent guest services. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit. If you need future reservations please call us at 803-548-0100

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn at Carowinds

Reviewed October 18, 2012

When we were here in April for one of the seasons first week ends we decided to come back for Scarowinds. It is important to be sure you get Scarowinds tickets not just the regular Carowinds tickets or you will pay twice as they close down for a couple of hours to set up for Scarowinds. We were not disappointed, Scarowinds was a blast. The hotel did not disappoint. Friendly service from the front desk, breakfast, housekeeping and even mantenance when our bathroom light stopped working. Another tip, take the front desks advise and pay for parking at the park, it is too long a walk in the dark at 10pm. I think next time we come it will be to visit the National White Water training center. The hotel employees mentioned it and it sounds like a great way to spend Sunday afternoon. Last time we went to the NASCAS hall of fame and it was just ok..This visit I was also offered to join the Choice Privleges which was quick and painless so now I will be accumulating points for their progams rewards. By signing up I also got a goodie bag as new memeber. The only thinng that could make this hotel my all time favorite would be if I could bring my little dog next time but I can understand their no pets or smoking policys are for the benefit of everybody.

Room Tip: Two story hotel with no elevator, if stairs are an issue request first floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Quality Inn Carowinds. I is always exciting to hear that our guest had such a rewarding stay. I noticed that you mentioned your first stay with us was in April 2012 for your trip to Carowinds. Even though it is only January Carowinds is gearing up for it's new season and this year the new attraction is Dinosaurs Come Alive. I hope you will be planning another trip this spring and will stay with us. Also Choice Privileges and Quality Inn offer some great promotions all during the year that you can take advantage of. We look forward to your next visit here to Quality Inn Carowinds. If you need assitance with any reservations please call us directly at 803-548-0100.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me and My family stayed here the end of August first of Septembet for my little sisters birthday to attned Carowinds. The breakfast attendent was very warm, nice,and friendly as well the second floor HSKS. Front desk was HORRIBLE. I called and asked for washclothes and front desk said she would check to see if they had any and cal back.. 1 hour later no call. So i went downstairs and she was sitting at the computer and the other front desk asked how many I needed and went and got them while the older lady who I spoke with over the phone said 'oh they called already' if you knew we had called get off your lazy bum and do your job. Not to mention she was very rude upon check in..We stood at the desk waiting for her to get off of the computer before she asked if she could help us. It definitely wasn't worth the $39 that we paid for friends and family. If it wasn't for the friendly housekeeping and breakfast staff I would have rated them terrible. If you dnt like your job get another one. It is called HOSPITALITY for a reason

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kendra P

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. I do certainly apoligize for the inconvenience you endured while staying with us. You are completely right we are in the hospitality business and there is no excuse for anything less than total attention to our guest needs during their stay. I have shared your praises for the breakfast attendant and housekeeping and required the frront desk staff to be reminded that it is their job to be attentive to all ou our guest at all times. I hope you will give us another chance to prove we do offer exceptional customer service here at the Quality Inn Carowinds. If you have any questions please call 803-548-0100

Reviewed September 18, 2012

First time ever staying here. Last time ever staying here. We came to the area for the Halloween at Carowinds promotion, Scarowinds. For a minute, I thought this place was part of the Scarowinds promotion. That is how shady this place is. In fact, at some points I felt as if I was in a horror movie staying here. Creepy!

First off, the parking lot. Very dark. Very creepy. If you were a single female traveler it would be quite different then 2 males like us. Terribly lit and scary. Not enough spaces to park. Had to drive around the lot a few times and eventually park behind the hotel.

It says on the Choice site that this hotel is "right across the street from Carowinds". Technically this is correct as part of Carowinds parking lot is across the street. A very busy street. Then walk forever (at least a mile) to get to the park. Then make the trek back at night in the pitch dark. Hey at least you don't have to pay for parking! But is it worth risking your life crossing the busy intersection? I think not!

After a not friendly at all check in, we headed to our room. We passed a gentleman walking down the hall openly smoking a cigarette. He nodded and groaned at us like a zombie. The hallways are very tight and narrow and we felt like something was going to jump out of a room and scare us like at Scarowinds.

As for the rooms, they weren't the worst of all time but not great. Musty and smokey smell. Rooms outdated and in need of a renovation. Beds not at all comfortable. Bathrooms in need of a great scrubbing. Paper thin walls that come into play later. Just overall not great. But we were only staying one night and it was nothing to check out over. I wish we would have.

A HUGE concern for me at this place is security. It doesn't feel safe at all. My partner forgot his reading glasses in the car so I ran out for him. I went out a back door that was closer to our vehicle. When I came back I had to insert my room key about 30 times and shake the door to get access back into the hotel. About an hour later, we realized we forgot our case of Mr. Pibb and Chex Mix in the car and we were hungo. I told my partner to follow me to the door in fear that this time I would not be able to get back in. When we arrived at the door it was propped open by a giant rock which prevented it from closing. Sounds safe. I got the snacks from the car and noticed 2 guys sitting on the pavement near the hotel. They didn't look too reputable. One man was drinking out a bottle in a brown paper bag. The other was chewing on a straw and rolling dice on the ground. It freaked me out. I scurried into the hotel and kicked the rock from the door.

Back in the room we had our snacks and decide to retire for the evening. We only slept for maybe an hour when we heard some yelling. Someone kept yelling "You Wanna Go Dusty?" and "Do Something Dusty" and "You Feeling Froggy Boy Just LEAP!!" We sat up for a while to determine what was going on. We thought about calling the front desk but didn't. (If it were a man and woman fighting I would have...I DO NOT tolerate domestic violence...men hitting women is wrong.) After a few minutes it seemed to die down and all of a sudden, WHOOOM, a room door is thrown open. A man yells "YOU JUST MESSED WITH THE WRONG MARINE!!" (Instead of messed he said the f word....I didn't want to get the review denied). They took off down the hall and presumably outside but I am not sure as there was NO WAY we were looking out the door. I don't believe they came back as there was no more commotion. Maybe they were picked up outside by police or something.

Enough excitement for one night right? We thought so...but that wasn't the end. We went back to sleep for another hour and were woke up with a knock on the door. I honestly brushed it off thinking it must have been a knock at another door beside us. Then another set of knocks. It WAS our door. It was a little creepy as we didn't know anyone else in the hotel or city. I grabbed my pepper spray just in case and went to the door. Before opening the door I peepholed out and saw what looked like a 15 year old boy. Thinking this kid had lost his families room I opened the door but left the chain latched. Upon opening the door I could tell the kid was a little older, maybe 18-20. He said "This isn't the party is it?". I said "no its not". He cursed and looked at his phone. He had a cigarette behind his ear and a trucker hat that said something really filthy on it. He was leaning on what I thought was a suitcase on wheels with the handle up. He then said "Oh my bad dude. I misread the tweet. You know where the elevator is?" I told him I didn't know and he shrugged. He apologized again and began to walk down the hall. What I thought was a suitcase on wheels was a beer keg on a dolly. He wheeled it down the hall to find the elevator. The joke was on him as this place has no elevator.

From that point on we got some sleep, although it took forever to actually fall asleep, thinking something else would happen. We got up and hit the breakfast. It was a joke. I did see the guy who knocked on my door in the middle of the night. I guess he stayed the night. Must have been a heck of a party! As for me,I will not stay here again. Maybe we were part of some new hidden camera show. If so, where's my check!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randall F

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed of a review. My team was disappointed that they were never given the opportunity to address any of this during or before your departure. The hotel never advertises that it is within walking distance of the Amusement Park. Your view from our parking lot are the coasters and not a parking lot as we are located at the entrance of the park.
Our hotel has been converted to a 100% non-smoking hotel and I trust the moment the guest turned the corner he was asked to extinguish the cigarette and was charged a fee. The night in question the hotel was at full occupancy, thus the difficulty in finding a parking place. Crime is not a common concern at our locale, in fact we pride ourselves on this. I am concerned about the door being propped open as this is a security concern and I will make every effort to confirm our front desk is watching this entrance on camera more accurately. The disturbance in the hall was a one night guest that was immediately removed from the hotel. In regards to the guest disturbing your sleep this was clearly an oversight and there was nothing we could do to prevent this from happening or prohibiting the of aged adult from bringing items to his room. Please know we do not rent to guests under the age of 21. This is no way diminishes the fact your stay was unfavorable and for this we apologize. Our hotel is quite popular as a result of our teams service and location. I am sorry that the weekend in question was unruly to have overshadowed this. In is in no way common place as you can see by other guests reviews. We do hope you enjoyed Scarowinds it is an excellent attraction.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The facility is older... I think it's a retired Holiday Inn Express... but I have no complaints about my stay. Most important... it's CLEAN. Secondly.. it's CLEAN.
The staff is friendly and helpful. The AC is cold. The beds seem new and are very comfortable. The TV is not a new flat screen, but you get 74 channels.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank so much for sharing your wonderful thoughts of the Quality Inn Carowinds here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you can appreciate how cleanliness being our first priority pays off in customer satisfaction. Also our staff prides themselves on exceptional customer service from management, front desk, maintenance and housekeeping we all work as a team and cannot make this possible without each other. Once again Thank You and we hope to see you again in the very near future. If you have any question or need any help with future reservations please call us directly at 803-548-0100. It would be our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good. Unfortunately the things that bother you are the things that you remember most. A few things to mention, the door is not very insulated, you could actutally see light from the hallway all around the door when the lights were off in the room. Because of this, we could hear everything outside of the room, including the children that ran up and down the hall until 2:00am on Sat. night. Also, around 1:00 am our whole room smelled like someone was smoking in it. Obviously, someone had been smoking in the hall and it seeped into our NON-SMOKING room. I am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and had a hard time breathing. There is no elevator and the stairways are very narrow. There was not enough room to pass others on the staircase and carrying luggage is cumbersome in such a small area. Lastly, the pool was just a hole in the ground, Seriously, I could probably have parked my van over it and it would not have fallen in.
The location is across the street from Carowinds but that doesn't mean it's close. It is still about a mile to the gate and when you're hot and tired at the end of the day it seems like a LOT further. It was worth the $12.00 to park at the park.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sntg4
janiecar, General Manager at Quality Inn at Carowinds, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

It has just come to my attention that I never responded to your thoughtful comments regarding your stay with us last summer. Most of the issues you mentioned are things that we have a hard time controlling such as noisy children and smoking. We always try to give guest the option of having a downstairs room but when the hotel is completly booked it is then hard to change rooms and I do apoligizes. As for noisy children and smoking we do have a code of conduct in which the guest with nosisy or unruly children should have been put in place and the parents should have been notified to attend to their children. As for the smoking their is a $250 fee if a guest smokes in the room but sometimes that does not deter thoughtless guest. Since we are a 100% smoke free property we would have ask the guest to leave if we had known of the situation at the time it was going on. Once again I do apoligize for the inconvenience you endured while stay with us, I hope that you will give us a second chance in the near future to better serve you.
803-548-0100

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Was booked at the Comfort across the street but switched to here after reading the better reviews. Even though the service was great the hotel is old and in need of a renovation. I was upgraded to a suite but the carpets througout the motel including the room were not in good shape. The bed sagged and needed a new mattress and the tub/shower leaked water onto the floor. The TV and linens were fairly new and the room was as clean as it could be with out new carpet. The large whirlpool was in good shape although I would never use one in a motel. Over all the place was a typical Quality Inn not awful but not great. I wonder now how bad the Comfort inn is across the street. I have stayed at the Sleep inn next the Quality before and it is less money and probably I little more to my likeing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ross S

Thank You for choosing to stay with us here at Quality Inn Carowinds, we value all guest impute concerning our hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of Quality Inn Carowinds as we did not meet your standards. Also thank you for recognizing the cleanliness and exceptional guest services provided by our staff, we do take great pride in making sure each guest is treated as special as possible and each room is clean and has the comfort of home. We certainly hope to see new changes with renovations coming in 2013 and we certainly hope you will stop in and look for the changes and hopefully stay with us again in the near future.
803-548-0100

Hampton Inn & Suites Fort Mill
Quality Suites
Quality Suites
#6 of 6 in Pineville

Been to Quality Inn at Carowinds? Share your experiences!