“Great scallops!”

Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Folly Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Relaxed laid back Island Restaurant. Featuring Local Grilled, Steamed & Fried Seafood! Outside Dining & Raw Bar. Voted # 1 by Folly Beach Local's & Voted Best Seafood Spot, Southern Living Magazine,2012. Live Steel Drums every Thursday night! Relax, Slow down, It's Folly Beach!
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“Great scallops!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were looking for the best seafood restaurant within walking distance of our rental house and read a lot of reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor before choosing Folly Beach Crab Shack. It is so hard to tell the biasses behind different reviewers' opinions and know whether a one-star review is really deserved or just the complaint of an ornery person! We finally chose the Crab Shack because Southern Living had recommended it.

When we arrived there was no line, but when we left, it was fairly long, so I'm glad we dined early (arrived just before 6). There was a short wait for an indoor table but no wait for outdoors. Usually, I'm not into outdoor dining, but the patio here was awesome as it wasn't too hot and the fans and misters were blowing.

Our server Brian was very personable and attentive and answered our MANY questions, not just about the food and restaurant but about South Carolina in general. He kept our soft drinks refilled without being asked, which is always a plus!

I thought the wait for the food was quite reasonable and everything arrived hot.

As for the food, mine was delicious. I ordered the fried scallops and flounder. I am not a huge flounder fan but that was the way to get fried scallops, and it was tasty. Both fish and scallops were breaded just right and well-fried. I also liked the grilled vegetables, esp with a squeeze of lemon juice. My family members also liked their food. The only disappointment to me was the appetizer of hush puppies. They weren't as crisp as I like them. But I was the only one who was unimpressed with them--everybody else scarfed them down.

Overall, we enjoyed everything about this meal. It is not a fancy place, but it was just right for fried seafood at the beach!

• Visited July 2013
LCH076, Owner at Folly Beach Crab Shack, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you so much! I reall love hearing about people's experiences when they visit us, but I really love to hear when someone is also impressed with the person that took care of them. Brian is awesome! He is one of the best, and I have been in this business for 35 years. I will pass along all your kind words to him. I will also let my Chef & his Team know about how much everyone enjoyed the seafood. Sincerely, Ron Hill & Staff

Knoxville, TN
“wonderful server!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had the stuffed flounder which was excellent with my amber ale. Others in our party of 6 tried buckets of everything. Lots of food so didn't want to waste stomach space with potatoes so boxed those up for a breakfast frittata for which our excellent server (sorry, forgot the name but he's been there 12 years!) gave us the recipe. I can take so so food if given great service. This place was tops in both.

Visited July 2013
Thanks, That was Brian. He has been on my team almost from the very beginng. He shares my passion and has a servany's heart. I will let him and our team know about how you enjoyed both the seafood & service. Ron & Staff
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Good Seafood”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Fairly typical seafood joint at the beach. Touristy. Lots of fried stuff, burgers, crab legs, fresh fish. And of course lots of cold beer. We were there with a group of 6 and had a very good time. Food was good. Will go back when in the area.

• Visited June 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina
“Just about average....but not quite...”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Not impressed with the food or the atmosphere...Cold fries and so-so shrimp..hushpuppies weren't great either. Won't be back for the prices paid.

Visited June 2013
LCH076, Owner at Folly Beach Crab Shack, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time yo let us know abut your experience. I feel as that we feel bwlow our standards, and i know we are better that what you and your guests experienced. Please feel free to call me on my cell number at 843-437-2546. I would love tthe opportunity to make things right. I also have and always will have a 100% money back garentee. Sincerely, Ron Hill (Owner) folly Beach Crab shack
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Go out of our way.”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We live in Bluffton, SC and whenever we go to Charleston we go out of way on the way home to stop and eat at the Crab Shack.

• Visited June 2013