“Friendly locals, and very dog friendly beach”

Folly Beach Public Beach
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Folly Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We went during the "off-season" (Dec 2012), and though it was cold, the beach was lovely. Tons of shells (not something I am used to, since I typically hit the beachs on the Gulf of Mexico side). Enjoyed walking out on the pier, and interacting with the locals. Dogs are allowed on the beach, and it was really fun to see them running up and down the beach, and jumping into the water. Tip- check out the Folly Beach website, and they post when dogs are allowed at the beach. If I remember correctly- they are allowed on the beach until the end of April and then again, in September through the winter. We went to the beach two times (Sunday and a Tuesday) and since it was off-season, more shops and resturants were open on Sunday. The Tuesday afternoon was really quite and not a lot was open. Tip- if you go to Folly during the off season- stick to the weekends when more shops\resturants are open. It was really relaxing to put your toes in the sand\water and take a walk. I will be back in the Spring and I wil be bringing my dog!

1  Thank MelissaY858

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I would agree with the reviewer that called Folly Beach the "Key West of SC". It was just the sort of place that my teenagers were looking for in our Charleston area trip. Even though it was a warm December day, my teens enjoyed browsing the surf shops and clothing stores of the small biz district. Fortunately, they aren't yet interested in the bars. We enjoyed a walk on the public pier with plenty of winter surfers trying to hit a good wave. Folly's Beach has a laid back vibe that Sullivan's nor Isle of Palms nor Edisto possesses. We enjoyed this as a day trip and may return in the summer. It's quite close to Charleston.

1  Thank DeeDeeNC070
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Off season looked a little bleak. Will have to return in season to check out. Loved the sea grass marshes going over. Low country area has it's own persona, different from the other east coastal areas.

1  Thank journalist2
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Want to get away from it all. Come to folly beach south carolina. Weather its july or novemer u will love this beach. A quiet soothing beach to visit.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

There was so much sand I wanted to go lay in it and make a sand angel. Being originally from the NW where the beach is rocks, this was amazing. And the local restaurants and stores are very quaint. Will have to go back when i have more time.