“Great Experience!”

Charleston SUP Safaris
Ranked #5 of 20 Tours in Folly Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Charleston SUP Safaris has been voted the Best Stand-Up Paddle company in Charleston for three years.  Learn how to paddleboard with the experts on the beautiful Folly River and let us guide you through the local ecosystem and wildlife. We offer Stand-Up Paddleboard eco-safari tours, river and surf lessons, rentals, SUP yoga, fitness, paddleboard sales, and summer camps. Charleston SUP Safaris specializes in large groups, family outings, bachelor or bachelorette parties, corporate team building events, and special occasions. Stop by our newly renovated shop conveniently located at 83 Center St. and our professionally certified guides will get you outfitted with Bounce paddleboards and carbon fiber paddles. So simple, no experience needed, and fun for the whole family. Locally owned with a combined 60 years experience on the water. Our passion and sole focus is paddleboarding. Before your trip, our professional guides conduct proper ground school instruction and in-water paddle training, ensuring safe, fun, and exciting trips. Visit our website to book your SUP Safari.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We took our 2 kids (8 and 12) and only my husband had done SUP before....so we were hesitant. MaKenna totally convinced us (over the phone) that we could do it and she was right! Our guide Al, was great with kids and adults...and extremely patient...with the right mix of safety, education and fun! We were able to stand up and balance more quickly and easily than we had thought. We did a midday tour which was beautiful...unfortunately we didn't see dolphins but hopefully next time! I highly recommend Charlston SUP safaris!!!

Charleston, SC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great fun for everyone!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a great day on the water with SUP Safaris and out of all the activities we did during my niece's (18) and nephew's (15) visit (sailing, kayaking, going to various beaches, the aquarium, and a haunted jail tour) they agreed the SUP trip was their favorite part of Charleston! Al was a great guide--fun and informative! Highly recommend it!

Johnson City, Tennessee
“SUP is Awesome!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Awesome experience. Would definitely do it again. Eric took 5 novice boarders and 1 novice kayaker on an outstanding trip down the river. This included two 12-yr olds and two 14-yr olds. Under his close supervision, we quickly learned how to manuever our boards and had a lot of fun doing it. Also got to see some dolphins feeding during the trip. Really nice & helpful people working there.

Beaufort, South Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“A wonderful experience in every way...”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My 28 year old daughter who lives in Charleston and I enjoy doing new things together and SUP-ing is something we had wanted to try for quite a while. We made our reservations for the noon Safari with Charleston Safaris (they were great about working with us on some changes that had to be made).
Jon and Tom were our guides and both were terrific in every way. No doubt they've done LOTS of the SUP tours but they both were enthusiastic and attentive as if this routine were still fresh to them. "Safety" and "fun" were keynotes in their instruction and on the safari itself. Info they provided about the river marsh ecosystem was fascinating.
Although I exercise a lot, I was clearly the oldest (and, regrettably, heaviest female) SUP-er with our group and had a little more trouble than I expected standing up and staying balanced on the board. "Woo hoo!" Tom was great at working with me individually to make some technique adjustments for knees that just aren't as good as they used to be. He was patient, pleasant, and professional in every way and his guidance allowed me to enjoy the safari along with everyone else.
While I'll probably stick with kayaking, my daughter found something new that she loves to do and I suspect will be "a renter" (as they called them) and doing some SUP-ing on her own!

Litchfield, Connecticut
“Would do it again!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Wonderful experience! The captain had a great knowledge of the waters and area from pre Civil War to now. He went out of his way to make the journey really memorable..he brought us to a Civil War re-enactment! Very special indeed. If I am ever back in Folley Beach, I will be sure to tour the waters with Charleston Sup Safaris again.

Visited July 2013