“Fantastic Food and service”

Blu Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #12 of 37 Restaurants in Folly Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Artic Street
Transit: Guests of BLU Restaurant & Bar may use the Tides Hotel parking lot free of charge on a space available basis.
Description: Few restaurants in Charleston offer oceanfront dining. None offer the unique experience you'll find at BLU. Set alongside the beach at the Tides Folly Beach, BLU combines indoor and outdoor seating featuring an amazing view of the Atlantic Ocean from almost every seat. Enjoy fresh local seafood showcasing the finest in contemporary coastal cuisine. Casual yet gracious, BLU is the ideal setting for a romantic dinner for two or an enjoyable night out with friends. Sit back, watch the waves roll in and enjoy the cool ocean breeze as we serve you the most delectable food around. With a casual beach bar and comfortable restaurant seating, BLU is where you want to be in Charleston.
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed at Tides on Folly Beach for 2 nights and the first night ate at Blu the rest. there. We had stayed in Charlston the 3 nights prior and ate all over Charlston and loved every meal. The meal we had at Blue was absolutely the best meal we had anywhere ! We loved it so much we ate there the second night as well. We both had fish and it was done perfectly. The service was excellent as well, I have already told many frineds to make sure that they eat at Blue for an excellent seafood meal

TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Blu Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Thank you for this excellent endorsement of Blu Restaurant & Bar! Thank you, also, for spreading the good word to all your friends. It was a pleasure having you and your wife dine with us for a couple nights and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to Charleston!

Reviewed April 28, 2011

We had breakfast and lunch at Blu's. Breakfast was a little expensive but was very good. Our waitress was not very attentive, which surprised me. I had to flag her down in order to get drink refills and our bill. My girls had pizza's off of the kids menu for lunch and they were good and well priced. The waiter brought them out to us near the pool area. We would have had dinner here, however, we had no idea they had a kids menu until after we ate at another restaurant. My girls are still into the chicken fingers, pizza, hamburger stage, so seeing this on the "board" menu near the lobby would have been helpful. The outside bar was great. A little expensive but very attentive and friendly. One bartender made my daughters day by giving her a "special" plastic cup of water and giving it to her "on the house" ! Sometimes it's the little things that can make a trip go from good to great!

TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Blu Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Blu Restaurant & Bar! It was a pleasure having you and the girls at the hotel and we are happy to see you enjoyed your overall experience at the restaurant as well. Your last statement is so true and from everyone here at Blu, thank you for choosing to dine with us and we are thrilled you had such a great trip!

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Being a Yankee, I like to get the local flavor when I visit friends in Charleston. Having graduated from CofC in 2001 I was pleased to see that the old Holiday Inn on Folly had new ownership and was throwing an all inclusive beach party for New Year's Eve followed by an oyster roast New Year's Day for those who took the plunge. The price and all you can eat offers made it a deal I couldn't resist. Upon arrival I was amazed to see the overhaul of the lobby area into a modern take on beach chic that blended seemlessly into Blu, the on premises restaurant catering the event. The gutting of the back wall and replacement floor to ceiling windows opened up the space so that you felt you were walking right unto the beach. Magic! They had friendly greeters and a bar set up as you walked in so you could refresh yourself while navigating the various buffet stops. Where most buffet deals only serve you a variety of low priced options, Blu pulled out all the stops. Which, as a foodie, I LOVED!! There were oysters on the half shell, peeled shrimp, mussels, crab cakes, shrimp and grits, all you can drink wine and imported beer, in addition to the usual pasta, cheese platter and roast beef options. The food was kept hot and kept coming until 1am! I think my friends and I returned to the shrimp and grits and crabcakes at least three times. Being from Maryland I know a good crab cake. Blu has them. Make sure you try them with the mustard remoulade. The french macarons hidden in the upstairs ballroom were a true delight for dessert! The food stations were set up at various locations to create a good flow and the entertainment included both a DJ and live band to please any musical ear. The hotel and restaurant staff were courteous and on point. I made the mistake of leaving my purse with a neglectful friend and the front desk staff retrieved it and then held it for me for the rest of the evening so I could wander - Thanks Matt! I also saw wait staff in the upstairs ballroom taking the initiative to remove balloons from the back of a chair when they noticed a guest was having difficulty seeing the band. You can't beat the location either! Located beach front at the end of the main drag and right next to the Folly Beach pier, the outside bar area is a great place to sit and look out over the water. I spent most of my time on both New Year's Eve and Day sitting out by the heaters and fire pit enjoying the view of the fireworks and beach goers. If there had been a hot tub it would have been even better, but I was told the pool is heated and saw a few guests enjoying themselves in it despite the overcast weather. Many of my fellow polar bear plungers wandered back to eat at Blu and the conversation was loud and lively. The bartenders were friendly and prompt to serve you both food and drinks and there was a list of specialty drinks that I hope to return and try someday. The oyster roast was low key and boasted all you can eat roasted oysters which were salty and smoky and perfect for a chilly day, smoked salmon and cavier, delicious collards and barbeque with more of my favorite...crabcakes!! Thank you to the server who wandered back into the kitchen to get me remoulade when asked. All you can drink mimosas and bloody marys were offered to hotel guests as an incentive to stay over. I would have liked some live music at the oyster roast...maybe next year? A great time was had by all - just check out all the professional photos posted on the Tides' facebook page. Seeing what they have done with the main interior I can't wait to return and stay in the updated rooms after February 2011. I don't know if I just hit a really good night, but everything was pretty much perfect. So. Our first resolution for the New Year? To make the Tides and Blu our new New Year's tradition!!

TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Blu Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2011

Reading this review was like reliving the entire weekend all over again! Thank you for all your kind words and for writing such a remarkable review. Thank you, also, for your suggestions on how to make next year’s event even more spectacular. We are so pleased you chose to spend New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day with us and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you whenever your next trip to the Charleston area may be.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

Being a full timer at work and busy with family it was very hard deciding what I should do with my New Years Eve plans.
After work I was planning on going home and relaxing thus totally giving up on an evening out. On the way I got a call from a couple of friends who was disappointed in my previous plans to relax so they informed me that they had bought a ticket for me when they did and now had no excuse not to come out. Upon arrival the first thing that impressed me the most was normally when you get that many people in one place it will commonly look like a frat party went bad. Not in Blue or in the Tides. It was like they had an army of people dedicated to cleaning up the tipsy population's mess (a population I would soon be joining). Beyond the first appearance of the amazingly place decorations I say employees who were happy to be there and tend to your needs. Zack was one of those and then only reason that I am not naming more is from that point on I was concentrating on the food and beverage selection which was robust to say the least.
To some this all up Blu was able to created a well laid out environment that made me feel welcomed, satisfied, and amazed while I celebrated on of my most memorable New Years to date and hey were able to accomplish this WITHOUT meshing the atmosphere into a cheesy beach theme. I would heavily recommend Blu for the smallest and largest entertaining needs.

1  Thank ckoro
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Blu Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Thank you, so much, for this excellent review! New Year’s Eve was very exciting for all of us here and we are thrilled you had such a great time. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff. Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your experience with everyone.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Sorry to say it is like eating in a fish bowl--the atmosphere has alot to be desired: small, glass enclosed area just off the lounge and outside patio. The food was NOT all that! Small portions that were not appealing at all--the flavor was lacking. However the cost is what blew me out of the water....way over the top for what we got--no atmosphere, no flavor, no portions to speak of....I was very disappointed. Staff is nice but that is just not enough to make the pricey tab more palpable. I think The Blu is just a little too high class for eclectic Folly.

TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Blu Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

At Blu Restaurant and Bar, we respect the views of our patrons and welcome all praise and any constructive criticism that aides in keeping us the #1 oceanfront dining establishment in Charleston. We are disheartened to learn of such disappointment from this particular reviewer and regret not having the opportunity to address such feelings in a more personal manner. I encourage the author of this review to contact us directly with any further comments or concerns.

At Blu Restaurant and Bar, we are extremely proud of the atmosphere we have cultivated both socially and visually. We are sorry to hear that the open, oceanfront environment was not to the liking of this reviewer.

Blu Restaurant and Bar specializes in tapas portions, that is to say, we offer an eclectic assortment of small plates designed to be shared by all members of a given party. We keep close watch on our competitors and are very comparable in price to the other tapas style restaurants in Charleston and we are the only tapas style restaurant on Folly Beach. Chef goes to great lengths to use only the best in local seafood, produce and flavors so all guests can truly enjoy and appreciate the unique tastes of the Lowcountry.

Thank you for your compliments of our staff. They work very hard to make all our guests feel at home and are very appreciative when their efforts are recognized.