“Incredible Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Charleston
“Incredible Hospitality”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying here with two of our children. From the moment we walked in the front door the staff made us realize we selected the right destination. Oceanfront property with incredible views of the Atlantic ocean were just what the doctor ordered. Our visit to the pool, also ocean front, was capped off with a great lunch from the restaurant. Quick friendly service with quality food and priced accordingly. The rooms were what we expected, and with temperatures over 90 degrees we were pleasantly surprised how comfortable the room was. Great a/c. The lettuce wraps were to die for. Would recommend this property to all of our friends and family, in hopes they would have as good of time as we did. Thanks for a great weekend!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
You are quite welcome and thank you for not only being our guest but for recommending us to your friends and family! Thank you for dining with us at Blu Restaurant during your stay and for your incredible compliments of our facilities and staff. We can’t wait until we see you again here at Folly Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Fri Sept. 13th and Sat Sept. 14th, the day I got married. We chose this hotel because on the website it looks phenomenal. When we got to the room I was very angry I paid $320 per night for a room with a couch that had stains all over it (I have pictures). Inside the bathroom down at the bottom corner of the door wedge, the wood looked like it had rotted away and metal was exposed. I also have pictures of that, I just couldn't believe it!!
The floor was some type of laminate that had some type of grit or sand on it, I did not want my wedding dress touching the floor because it was dirty!!
When you pay $320 for a room you expect cleanliness and not to see rotting wood, exposed hardware and the couch was disgusting. The ironing board had mold on the mat so my fiancé could not iron his shirt.
I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, it was such a disappointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linus & Leslie Taylor
Acworth, Georgia

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Leslie2042
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent getaway. It’s incredibly unfortunate that we failed to live up to your expectations and that your entire experience wasn’t as fantastic as a wedding day should undoubtedly be. It is our goal to be Charleston’s premier, full service oceanfront hotel and to provide immaculate, well-maintained facilities as well as set the standard for service excellence. Regrettably, we fell short of that goal in the eyes of the author of this review. I am happy that I had the privilege of speaking with the author of this review directly so that we could resolve the issues expressed in this review.
North Augusta, South Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I wanted a nice weekend beach getaway. We got the beach getaway, but the hotel was not very nice.
We arrived at around 3pm, and the parking lot was full. After a short time, we found a parking spot. Check in was fine and the staff was very friendly. We took the elevator to our room on the 9th floor. The elevator had no a/c and small black table top fan was mounted in a upper corner, we noticed that it was very dirty.
The hallways, which are exposed to the outdoors were dirty. The door frame for our room was bent and chipped and the door knob rusted.
Inside our room, the bathroom's exhaust fan was dirty and did not work, there is no a/c duct in the bathroom, so it was rather musty. The towel rack was rusted and the sink faucet did not work properly.
When we went to check out the ocean view, there were at least 8 dragon flies, alive, between the curtains and the windows. We finally got them out, only to discover hundreds of little gnats, or midges also between the curtains and windows. I spent a good while trying to kill them, and made quite a mess on the windows and sliding doors. The next morning we bought the bug matter to the attention of the front desk, and they responded with a shrug and a apology.The maid staff never cleaned the dead bugs off the windows.
The refrigerator was warm and missing a leg. The a/c was cold, but very noisy, it rumbled as well. The electrical box for the a/c was on the floor under the unit.
On the positive side, we ate dinner at the restaurant on site, which is named Blu. It was very good. We enjoyed the appetizers, entrees as well as desserts.
The beach was nice, but be ready to pay $25 a day for chair and umbrella rentals. We did not spend any time at the pool, but it was very crowded and rather small for a hotel of this size.
We have stayed in many similarly priced beach hotels in the past, and the Tides does not compare in terms of cleanliness, decor or value. We were not pleased with our accommodations and would not stay at the Tides again.

Room Tip: All room face the ocean, but the rooms on the lower floors may have that ocean view blocked by palm...
9 Thank Charles K
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was quite selective at first when picking out where I wanted to relax for my vacation. This hotel seemed to have had all the amenities that I wanted and needed.... The staff was very friendly, let's get that out of the way. We were triple charged. TRIPLE! I have never stayed anywhere where the front desk charges the full amount on the first day. I too and in the service industry- You want to cater to the guest and hope they stack up an ample room charge. So- we were on a tight budget on what was supposed to be a free for all beach blow out. We had to watch every dime, think twice about the $ signs next to the meal we wanted. We ended up taking 3 trips to walmart to cut costs. We had full intention on eating out the entire time. Instead we resulted in making subs in our room on some days and buying our own beer instead of hitting up the local bar. We felt we were wronged. We did address the issues and they gave us a night off. Except when they tried to reimburse us, THEY CHARGED US MORE. So in this instance, we were far from pleased and we were offered "breakfast on them". a $20 voucher for brunch we have to pay on top of wasn't sufficient, but the gesture was nice. We did of course use it in order to save some $. The desk staff then took another low end night rate off our bill for messing up again. We were told the full amount charged was an authorization. Well, the thing is, they charged us the full amount at check in, then $20 (for god knows what?!), then the following day ANOTHER full amount charge plus $1. The desk clerk blamed the mishap on the reservation system. I know mistakes happen, but three separate charges (4 actually if you include the reimbursement mishap) but this had to have been an internal reservationist issue, not they system. That was a human error. At least the tried to make it right. I do not recommend their Starbucks- The barista didn't know how to make a proper iced macchiato. It was nothing but sugar and milk with a splash of espresso. No thanks, $5 down the drain on that one. The fridge in our room was on the warmer side and so we mainly used our cooler so as to not spoil anything. the A/C blew ice and I loved that! The housekeeping staff were definitely on top of things. We went about our stay with a positive attitude. I'm sure we will be back for round two, given this is the ONLY hotel attractive enough with the amenities needed by people looking to relax.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front, save some money and go for a double bed instead of a king! We used the ex...
1 Thank Blythe P
Swedesboro, New Jersey
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My 3 friends and I came to celebrate my bachelorette party over a holiday weekend. Everyone in the hotel took the phrase "southern hospitality" to the max! We were graciously welcomed upon our arrival by the whole staff and they were quick to offer suggestions for all of our questions. Jay especially was wonderful - he was always ready to find us transportation, and give us the insiders tips on where to go and to not go. He knows how to have a good time! Everyone on the staff was so helpful and kind - we really saw the "smiling faces, beautiful places" at our stay in Tides and all over the Charlotte area! The hotel grounds were great too - pool was clean, easy beach access, room was clean, and fantastic views. Bring your own beach chair and beach towel, and watch the tide coming in!! Thank you too all at Tides, we had a wonderful time and I would definitely recommend a stay by the beach!

Room Tip: If you want the great oceanfront view you chose, take a room closer to the top - we were on the 9th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was a very nice place with beach front rooms. Accommodations and staff were very nice. Only wish there was a bigger pool. Guests would reserve chairs at the pool then go to the beach for hours so there were not enough lounge seating. Also bring your own beach chairs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a nice two day beach getaway and it was surprisingly very nice. We remember when it was a holiday inn and there were just a few houses in that area. It has changed a lot and looks like a real resort area. We loved the view we had from the nineth floor and the beautiful pier. A great value. The room was clean and the services were great. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area restaurants. The only negative would be the noisy air conditioner. It is the old fashioned one that is in the room and my husband couldn't sleep for the noise. Also, be prepared for late housekeeping services. After being out all day an coming back for a short nap around 2:00 PM and finding my room as we left it I was very disturbed but found that was the norm. All in all a nice hotel and if it wasn't for the noisy air conditioners we would stay again but sleep is too important.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a great view. Also bring small folding chairs for the beach and for your bal...
1 Thank pittword
#4 of 5 in Isle of Palms
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!