“Folly Beach”

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
“Folly Beach”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The Tides hotel was updated and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was great along the beach with a pool overlooking the ocean. The outdoor bar was great fun with live music to enjoy. We were especially happy with the policy to allow dogs. It is a very dog friendly hotel and island. We found great places to eat within walking distance that allowed our dog in the outdoor seating areas. We loved the laid back atmosphere of the island and will definetly go back to Tides at Folly Beach!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was so pleased with Tides Folly Beach. I must say, at first I wasn't solely because our room had dirty plastic bottles on the balcony filled with leftover Coke and cigarettes. If housekeeping just cleans more thoroughly, it won't be a problem. I loved Blu and the views it offered. The Beach Bar was awesome and the bartenders were very fun. My fiance and I got engaged on Folly Beach and after it happened, we went to the lobby and asked Caroline to take pictures and she did so very willingly. She took a few for us and even took some in front of the beautiful fish tank. It was a great experience. Everyone there is so friendly and helpful and will lend a hand for anything. I would stay there again 100%! We plan on getting married in June 2014 in Mt. Pleasant and I have told my extended family that we should have a beach vacation that same week at Tides. So we will be back!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel lobby had a fresh appeal and all of the staff that we encountered were friendly from the time we booked by phone through bill questions at checkout. We stayed in room 603, near the pier side, great beach views! The room was clean and the decor was modern and relaxing. We had the Romance Package which included a chilled bottle of champagne upon our arrival, $75.00 certificate to the hotel restaurant Blu and $35.00 certificate for breakfast in bed from Blu. Our waitress at Blu was great and our grilled snapper fish for dinner was fresh. BEWARE if you purchase a package, the certificates actually have no value because the amount of each certificate and any amount over plus tips are added to the room bill. I questioned the 3 separate charges at checkout for the champagne, breakfast certificate and dinner certificate and was advised they don't charge for the "package" upfront, only what you spend. So if you get a package certificate keep in mind that's your money you're holding (in addition to the room rate) with suggested prices to spend at Blu so you are not locked in to spend the "value" of the certificates as we thought.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Erie
Reviewed August 19, 2013

first impression was that it was a very up beat, modern hotel. Staff was very friendly upon arrival. Lobby and views from the lobby were spectacular. Room was on the 8th floor, the outdoor hallway leading to the room was very dirty, I realize it is outside but the hallways on floors below had some outdoor carpet which made it look cleaner. Room had great view with a stand up balcony, but the room itself needed a bit of updating. The hardware on the doors and in bathroom, needed replaced.
The pool and outdoor patio was very nice and lively. The restaurant Blu had a nice variety and food was delicious. Overall a great place to stay if you want to be right on the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kmp1234
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Smoking and noise are issues. We stayed several days and smelled smoke above and below us on balcony. Also next door.

Avoid adjoining rooms. If your neighbor smokes you will smell it. We had smoke when we walked into our room one day from room next door. The hotel seems to take a liberal view on smoking on balconies, to the detriment of non smokers. The smoke will blow whichever way the wind blows.

Noise. One day the noise from the bar was so loud our room on 7th floor pier side was vibrating with the patio door closed.

Most expensive room during our vacation. You share the beach with many of your friends on weekends. Prices are too high for public beach. We will think twice before spending that much again.

We had neighbors yelling next door at 2 am. Hotel took care of it and eventually things settled down.

Housekeeping missed room one day. Front desk contacted them. Nobody came. Called again and some poor fellow was sent up with towels. Had dinner res. which got tight.

Nice staff and front desk. They try hard and location very nice. Pool nice but out of towels 3 days. I want to really like this place and lobby is pretty along with pool,, but hard to ignore the above. I'm not expecting the Four Seasons but they need to shore up some items.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fgarb
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The location is perfect-on the beach. All rooms look out over the ocean. If you want luxury rooms, don't come here. They are standard hotel rooms, which are spotless.
The staff? Superb!!!! Incredibly friendly without the Disney sucrose. Helpful and accommodating. They all seem to enjoy their jobs and they pass that feeling on to the guests. I cannot stress enough how good this staff is at what they do. It was easy to tell the just-arrived guests from those there more than 4 hours. Stressed vs enjoying themselves. The good feeling is in the air.
Service is excellent. Anything you need, they will try to provide. No, "I don't know." Instead, "Give me a moment and I'll find out."
Hotel is at the end of the street with all of the restaurants, so you can park your car and never touch it.
Easy 15 minute drive to downtown Charleston.
We will go back next year.

• Stayed June 2013
Haddonfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Lobby/downstairs has been renovated recently and looks really nice. We didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't comment there... The basic hotel is an old Holiday Inn, with the emphasis on old. That being said, it is very solidly built (quiet), but, as you would expect with any structure exposed to all of that salt air, the treads on the stairwells are all corroded, some so bad that you can catch your flip flop on it and trip. I found that the staff didn't exhibit very much pride in their hotel - I say this because I would notice trash in the hallways, and it would remain there for days!! The stairwell by my room also reeked of urine down at the first floor. We also observed some cockroaches in the outdoor hallways...

With all of those complaints, I still give this hotel 4 stars - without them I would give it 5. The room was quiet (the A/C unit excluded). The view was excellent - and all of the rooms have an ocean/beach view.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor - just at palm tree level - would recommend any floor ABOVE the 3rd sho...