“Typical Beach Hotel - Very inviting Lobby, Pool and Beach”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Lobby/downstairs has been renovated recently and looks really nice. We didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't comment there... The basic hotel is an old Holiday Inn, with the emphasis on old. That being said, it is very solidly built (quiet), but, as you would expect with any structure exposed to all of that salt air, the treads on the stairwells are all corroded, some so bad that you can catch your flip flop on it and trip. I found that the staff didn't exhibit very much pride in their hotel - I say this because I would notice trash in the hallways, and it would remain there for days!! The stairwell by my room also reeked of urine down at the first floor. We also observed some cockroaches in the outdoor hallways...

With all of those complaints, I still give this hotel 4 stars - without them I would give it 5. The room was quiet (the A/C unit excluded). The view was excellent - and all of the rooms have an ocean/beach view.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor - just at palm tree level - would recommend any floor ABOVE the 3rd sho...
1  Thank John K
There are newer reviews for Tides Folly Beach

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My Mom and I went here for a mother daughter weekend. The beds were great. I had the best sleep and loved how I could open the balcony door and see and smell the ocean! Very relaxing. No one can beat all rooms being ocean front. I did not give it 5 starts because the room was a bit musty. I know this is on the beach, but there were dead knat bugs on the ceiling of the bathroom and the wallpaper was pealing off in the bathroom. There was also rust along the entrance way. I know hazards of being a beach front property. Our drain in the bathtub did not drain which the dead knats got kind of gross, However, the food was okay and the location just can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We just returned from our first stay at the Tides. It defiantly will not be our last!
We went for an end of the summer quick trip and booked this hotel from trip advisor recommendations.What a fantastic place! Every employee was wonderful, from the parking lot attendant to the front desk people. I can not emphasize enough how great the service is at this hotel.
The room was great with an incredible view. All of the rooms are ocean view. The pool was outstanding , as was the beach bar. The location couldn't be better, easy walk to everything in town.
If you are visiting Folly Beach, do your self a favor and stay at the Tides?

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We arrived on a Thursday evening for a three night stay. Our room was on the 8th floor. The room was equal to possibly $150 a night room where we paid double that. The room overlooked the pier so it was an incredible location but the room needed to be updated and the carpet was filthy. I went into the bathroom where I found feces on the toilet seat. We did go down to the front desk and they sent someone up to clean the bathroom and gave us a little bit off our first night room charge and breakfast vouchers. We figured we would let it go at that and figured it was just an unfortunate occurrence. Then the next morning at breakfast at Blu we found a very dark coarse hair in our cream(which didnt belong to any of us). We sat outside where the Tiki bar is at night and it looked like it hadnt been cleaned from the night before. There was a used band-aid right next to our table on the ground. So, our overall impression is that they spent some money on renovating the lobby and restaurant but failed terribly on the conditions of the room and their standards for cleaning. On a positive note the staff was very friendly and the only thing that allows this hotel to survive with the prices they charge is their location right on the beach. Sun & Ski who run the jet ski rental on-site were great. The guys worked hard and were very accommodating and would highly recommend them. If staying in the area of Folly Beach I would do some research and try to find a condo or house that could probably be rented for the same amount that Tides charges for an outdated, dirty room.

3  Thank tratrh
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Tides Hotel is a great hotel. Friendly service staff always ready and willing to help. Being right on the beach was great. The whole hotel was always clean even though I felt like my kids tracked in half the beach sand. Lol A definite stay again place!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Sonjason
Brian_D_Ross-TFB, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent family vacation and for your great compliments of our staff! We look forward to being your home-away-from-home on your next visit to the Lowcountry!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I received a call prior to out stay, asking if there was anything they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. That call was indicative of our interactions with the entire staff. Everyone from the parking attendants to the front desk staff and the restaurant employees was over the top friendly and helpful. I have stayed at five star luxury hotels that don't offer this level of customer service.

The location was great, and most of the public space was very well done (the pool looked a bit cloudy, and the pool towel situation was not as good as it could have been, but this is minor). Exterior corridors and elevators were a bit run down. Room was nicely appointed, although the fridge was tiny and never seemed to get as cold as other mini fridges. As others have noted, the vent in the bathroom did appear a bit grubby, but I travel often and find that is not uncommon. The only other improvement we would look for is wifi. Our laptop connected with no problem, but iPads and itouches would not connect no matter how hard we tried.

Overall, our family was very, very pleased with our stay and will be back soon.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have an obstructed view of the pier - ask for a room with a complete view. These...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us at Tides during your recent get-away! We are especially appreciative of you comments regarding our staff and the service you received. Though our building is older, our philosophy has been and always will be to offer 5-star customer service and we are thankful for your recognition. Thank you also for your constructive suggestions. Your feedback is invaluable as we continue to make improvements to Charleston premier beachfront property! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Highly recommend. Great location. Friendly staff. Very nice oceanfront pool, restaurant, and tiki bar. There is Jet ski rental next door to the hotel and reasonably priced. The pier, which is close to the hotel is very nice and clean, with a great group of people who hang out at there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We’re happy to hear you had such a wonderful time during your visit to Folly Beach! Thank you for your feedback and your compliments of our staff. Hopefully we have an opportunity to serve you on many future visits!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!