“Grossly Overpriced”
Review of Tides Folly Beach

Tides Folly Beach
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Folly Beach
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Upon arrival, the lobby reeked of the cleaning solutions one generally associates w. public bathrooms. That's when I began to worry. When I saw our room I couldn't believe we were being charged $269/night. The rug was filthy--visible stains-- the furniture chipped, the towels thin. The room was, in a word, dingy. I was glad I had flip flops for my feet. We did face the beach and the view was truly lovely, but that was the only upside. We didn't use the pool, but it is the size of a postage stamp.The entire facility looked tired, unkempt and way past its prime. It was a huge disappointment. But wait, my 24-year-old daughter claims the outside bar is nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Folly Beach. Your feedback will only help us continue to improve our facilities for all our future guests.

Now that the summer season has come to a close, we are working on improvements to our common areas and rooms. This is something we do each year so we can keep your favorite beachfront property up-to-date. This year, our big projects consist of replacing the carpeting in all our rooms and updating all the bathroom fixtures. The improvements we are making should be completed by February and will make our guests’ experiences in the rooms better than ever.

Thank you, again, for your feedback and I encourage the author of this review to contact me directly should they wish to discuss their stay in more detail.

There are newer reviews for Tides Folly Beach

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Spent a few days at Tides Folly Beach, from 10/10-10/12. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. The location, right on the beach, and within walking distance to all the restaurants, bars, shops, etc., could not be beat. However, the rooms could use a little sprucing up. Our carpet was very dirty, and the mattresses on the beds were not the best. As a condo owner I can appreciate how hard summer visitors can be on a place. However, it's a great hotel, great location, great staff, they just need to make sure their rooms are up to par. Oh and another thing the AC was so loud, you had a hard time hearing the ocean waves.

Room Tip: I am one of those still surviving smokers and this is a non-smoking hotel. However, they very nicel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Proud2BWLVRebel

Thank you for spending a few days with us this October! Thank you for your compliments regarding our staff. We are all glad that your overall experience was positive and hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you on future visits to Folly Beach!

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Great location right on the beach and close to downtown. The room was noticeable old with stains on the carpet and paint chipping. Pool was small but nice. Loved the free chairs on the beach to sit in.

• Stayed: October 2012
TidesFollyBeachGM, Manager at Tides Folly Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the Charleston area! Hopefully we have the opportunity to be your hotel of choice on future visits.

Now that the summer season has come to a close, we are working on improvements to our common areas and rooms. This is something we do each year so we can keep your favorite beachfront property up-to-date. This year, our big projects consist of replacing the carpeting in all our rooms and updating all the bathroom fixtures. The improvements we are making should be completed by February and will make our guests' experiences in the rooms better than ever.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Folly Beach, SC is not to be confused with any resort. In fact hardscrabble is the word that comes to mind. That said the Tides Folly Beach, being, I believe, the only full service, oceanfront hotel in the town, is a bit of an oasis. But don't let that overstate the level of hotel that it is. The good points are a pleasant lobby, overall a clean room, great tiki bar, a friendly staff and its oceanfront location. On the other side of the coin, because it is an outside entry hotel, the exterior to the rooms look weathered, the rooms are average in terms of furnishings and the bed gave me back aches. Also, standing on the balcony, a cover to the a/c unit had fallen, was rusty and looked like a tetanus shot waiting to happen. We did not eat in the onsite restaurant, Blu.

We paid $143 p/night for Sunday/Monday nights in October and that was reasonable. The front desk told me that on a weekend in-season they get upwards of $300 p/night or more. Make no mistake, this is no $300 p/night hotel at any time. If you go in-season I recommend looking for deals with a Sunday-Thursday stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your Folly Beach experience here on Tripadvisor! The ability to dish out compliments and provide constructive criticism while using colorful descriptors is a gift and we greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your compliments of our staff, lobby, grounds and amenities. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to enjoy a meal or two at Blu next time you are in town!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

And one cautions that age and the season certainly applies to Folly Beach and the Tides Hotel. OK, time to 'fess up. My companion and I are not young other than in spirit and visiting the Tides in October was perfect. By all accounts mid-summer is party city. I may have felt differently surrounded by too much youthful enthusiasm. But in Fall it is perfect. The hotel lives up to its claims with every room fronting the ocean with splendid views of the pier and the modest surf. And the multitude of wet-suited surfers doing their best to look like seals. If I was a Great White I would bite them too! The rooms are bright and Miami-vice inspired color wise...a wonderful change from the typical hotel blahs. Small points. The in-room coffee is Starbucks and is the ONLY decent hotel coffee I can recall. Big bonus. The hotel and the beach are "dog friendly". Not an issue in our room but a point to consider as a pro or con.Writing this with the cool mists of morning on the ocean and the sounds of surf a constant soothing background. Folly Beach leaps up a gear in summer and the hotel rates join the high-wire act. Our rate of $140+ was I think fair. Mid summer??? Well there is a reason we old folks travel in the Fall......there is a time for every purpose under heaven.

Room Tip: check dog friendly??? Possible smell issues?? Higher the better for view. We got top floor
2  Thank larach

I must say; reading this review just puts me in a great mood! When the season changes so does our clientele so I really appreciate you bringing that to everyone’s attention. Thank you for all your compliments and suggestions. I believe the Tripadvisor community will find your review very helpful. Thank you for choosing to stay with us this October and I hope this can become an annual trip for y’all!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Tides at Folly Beach, SC recently. Room plus tax was over $300. It was dirty, smelly, loud, outdated and generally disappointing. Find another beach location!.SC has many more to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Knowing that we’ve disappointed a guest is disheartening. Having the opportunity to address the concerns of our guests during their visit gives us a greater chance of rectifying the problem so I not only encourage the author of this review to contact me directly with more specifics about their stay but I also encourage all our future guests not to hesitate to talk with me at any point during your stay.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the second year I've stayed. Loved it the first time with my daughter and loved it again this year. Does it need some improvements? Sure. Only one of the elevators worked for some of the time we were there. The rooms could use a coat of paint but a sunrise over the ocean makes all the little stuff seem unimportant.
I thought the food in Blu was better this year and the staff is always so friendly.
Folly Beach is a laid back little town and everyone I take with me falls in love with it too!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nancecar

It is always nice to read a review posted from our repeat guests! Your comment about the sunrise over the ocean made me smile because it’s just so true and is one of the things that made me fall in love with Folly in the first place. I’m so happy that you enjoyed the new menu at Blu and, as always, your compliments of our staff are greatly appreciated. Thank you for continuing to stay with us and I can’t wait to hear what you think next year once you see all the improvements we’re making this winter!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Holliday inn Folly Beach
Holliday inn Folly Beach
#4 of 4 in Folly Beach

Been to Tides Folly Beach? Share your experiences!