“Trip to Fla. with the dog”

Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Cutchogue, New York
“Trip to Fla. with the dog”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Driving toFlorida with the dog and needed to find a dog friendly place to stay. After reviewing multiple hotels, settled on Red Roof inFlorence SC. Pleasantly surprise hotel is conveniently located right off I 95 . No frills but it did have a micro wave & frig. in room. Very clean ( no dog or other smells) , bed was very comfortable . Restaurants close by and Papa John's will deliver. Price very reasonable. . Would stay here again in a heart beat. Staff very friendly

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We always appreciate guest comments, and are glad that your are pleased with your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Red Roof Inn Florence, SC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The room was reasonably clean upon our arrival, although I did notice a couple of hairs in the bathtub which was annoying. There are many place to eat/shop in the area, but unfortunately a lot of it is nearly impossible to navigate for someone who isn't from the area! Of course this isn't the fault of the hotel, but just an observation. Definitely a frustrating shopping area having everything so close yet so far!

Now for what the hotel IS responsible for: We left our room before 7am and returned at 10pm to find the bed still not made, trash not taken out, coffee not replaced, none of the toiletries or cups replenished... nothing.

In fact, we thought perhaps our room was just skipped altogether, until we realized that the towels we used were missing. We were left in a situation where it would have actually been better had they just forgotten about us entirely! I've had hotels where the cleaning staff missed a room, but never have I had one where they took the towels, didn't touch anything else, and didn't even bother to replace what they took!

So the next morning we had no towels, no more soap, and no coffee for our in-room coffeemaker (well, there were still 3 packs of decaf leftover from before, but not exactly what I needed!).

I realize that I could have called and asked for these things, but I was exhausted by the time I returned to the room and ready to crash. The last thing I wanted to do was go back downstairs to gather supplies and leave my own room so somebody could tend to it (and honestly, I shouldn't HAVE to.)

I did mention it to the front desk when I checked out, and the lady apologized but didn't offer to do anything about it. A discount or something for our trouble would have been nice, but I didn't want to make a scene and push the issue. Besides, I really was on a tight schedule. Maybe I'm too nice.

When I stay in a Red Roof (which is pretty often actually), all I expect is a clean room, a place to take a shower and not much else. Sadly we didn't even get that in our "superior king" room.

The renovated rooms look nice in some ways, but it is definitely still cheap. Given the price of the rooms that isn't a big deal to me, but that vinyl flooring in the bathroom, especially without bathmats/towels available, is going to be a mess in a few years I'm willing to bet. I wish they had spent the money on nicer beds instead of the "modern upgrades." The mattress had me wishing I was in my own bed!

I've stayed here several times for the same annual event, and I'm really sad to see it slip like this. I'm starting to wonder if I need to look elsewhere next year, but my previous experiences here were much better than this.

Room Tip: I didn't see an elevator, so if stairs are an issue for you then you might want a bottom floor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pumpahkin
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
I would like to apologize about the housekeeping service during your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your feedback and I would like you to know that this incident is unusually. I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you again.

Red Roof Inn Florence, SC

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

wilmington
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The area didn't feel particularly safe to me- or should I say some of the clientelle at the hotel.
The front desk staff was also just barely kind enough. The room was just barely clean enough - bathroom- meh. Maybe I'm just used to something different than this motel. No coffeepot, microwave, or fridge, but a huge safe in the room. hmmm.
It was nice that the dog could stay for free and that they had lots of land for the dog to take a walk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
I would like to apologize about your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your business and value your comments about your stay. I am working with my staff to improve the guest experience, and once again appreciate your feedback.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Jasmine was the worst customer service rep I have EVER encountered at any hotel, I stay at Red Roofs up and down the east coast about 30 days a year. I have never experienced such a rude, UNaccommodating staff member. She was not flexible enough to give me the internet rate. So I went back out to my car after driving 10 hours, got my laptop to book the room on line. The Red Roof internet didn't work for about 15 minutes. When their internet was working again, I booked the room on line in front of Jasmine. Then she told me that room was not available, She said I had to cancel it and rebook a different room. Finally after her arguing with me in front of many customers, letting every one who walked in, go ahead of me (to punish me and embarrass me) then she let me check in.. for a higher price! I got to the room, and the safety latch on the door was falling off and did not work. All this for $80! I will NEVER stay at the Florence Red Roof again. I would stay in my car 1st! What a shame!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I would like to apologize about your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. I am so sorry about the customer service that you received from Jasmine. I would like you to know that corrective measures will be taken to assure that this type of behavior does not happen again. Once again I am sorry and would like to invite you to give us another try. Please contact me at i0178@redroof.com.

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Driving south with my dog, stayed at my first Red Roof in Manassas, Va (see that review) - this place was just as nice, very clean, comfortable, pet friendly and another great rate. The new furniture and bath room made it nicer. Very quiet for sleeping, had a minor issue with wifi, but called tech support number on card provided in room, issued was resolved quickly, so had fast free wifi. This room had new carpet, which was nice, but over time unless they keep it up, will not be as clean as the parkay floors that I found in the Red Roof in Va.

I had to take a 2nd floor room, which was fine, again parked close, but wish they had more king superiors on the 1st floor.

Enjoyed watching TV on new flat screen and was able to watch HBO

Room Tip: Ask for a king superior room, worth the few extra dollars.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jim S
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your comments and am glad that you had a chance to experience the new channel line up the we offer. We look forward to your next stay.

South Carolina
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

During the recent ice storm, we had no choice but to seek a hotel when our power had not been restored in nearly a week. RRI was the only hotel we could find nearby that wasn't already booked and allowed pets at no charge.
The front desk clerk was pleasant but clearly overwhelmed by the phone ringing constantly, and appeared to be alone. There didn't seem to be a point to start a discussion as to why a price of 80$ was quoted online and my bill was 102$ at check in, when she was so understaffed. Clearly, RRI was profiting from the misfortune of others, but we needed a room, and we had a pet.
The room itself was a standard double. The carpet appeared clean, the sheets appeared to be fresh, the pillows were overstuffed and thee to a bed, which was wonderful.
I will never understand why some hotels will only stock a bathroom with two bath and two hand towels in a room with two beds. The call for towels was made, and we were told to "come and get as many as you want".
The bathroom was clean and had a curved shower rod, always a plus.
Connecting to the internet was a major ordeal. The wifi was free, but I wasn't able to connect two iPads; I had to call an 800 # and servers had to be reset, etc. Not convenient. The tech on the phone was nice enough, but I don't get why there's not an easier way to connect. Although I only had to call tech support once, the connection kept getting dropped. Very irritating.
The walls are paper thin and the couple next door were not very quiet (not THAT, they just jacked up their tv really loud and were yelling into their phones, yelling everything they said, etc.). Given that we knew there probably wasn't another room available, we just plugged in headphones and made the best of it.
It was an okay stay in a pinch, but I wouldn't stay more than one night.

Stayed February 2014
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thanks you for recent comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. We appreciate your business and would like to apologize about the Wi Fi not working properly. We are addressing this problem immediately so that this does not occur again. Again that you for your comments.

Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

I checked in here on Feb 6th after a long day of traveling mainly because it said all rooms newly renovated. My first room had dirty spotted bedspreads & smelled of smoking. The second room did not smell of smoking, but wasn't very clean, but I was exhausted so I made sure nothing touched the floor and left early the next morning. Worst hotel I've ever stayed in - by-pass this one.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Tia S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Florence - Civic Center, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
I am sorry about your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn Florence. I have addressed this with my housekeeping staff, and would like you to know that corrective action has been taken immediately . I appreciate your comments, and would like to invite you to give us another try.