“Southern Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Newport News, Virginia
“Southern Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

A friend and I stayed overnight in Florence, SC enroute to Myrtle Beach. What a wonderful experience! Hotel accomodations at Howard Johnson Inn were comfortable. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful with information on good places to eat in the area. The hotel offered a free breakfast with great food prepared by their cook (Adam), with service from a waitress (Jamie). Both Adam and Jamie went above and beyond their duties, while speaking with guests to ensure everyone was comfortable and satisfied with breakfast. I felt right at home, and would definitely stay at the hotel again because of the southern hospitality from Adam and Jamie.

Virginia Resident

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We usually stay at the Hampton or Holiday Inn Express. They were not available so we stopped at Howard Johnson and had a very pleasant surprise! The room was large with a couch and a king size bed. Plenty of hot water, microwave, refrigerator, and tv. They had both inside and outside rooms, we chose an inside room, felt very safe. Saved a lot of money!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor close to the front desk, was quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
bokeelia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We where in Myrtle Beach SC for my wife to get some dental care. At around 9am after 3 hours of work we where told that there was a problem. I had to take my wife to the main clinic in Florence (about an hour and a half ride.) After checking my wife into the clinic we realized I had better go and find a room since it was much to hot to leave our two small dogs in the car. I drove to an area about 3 miles from the clinic with a dozen or more hotels. The first two I went into said it was to early to check in, the third was not pet friendly. The next in line was a Howard Johnson. I went in totally stressed out and showing it. I told my story to The front desk clerk (Sabrina). She was very busy trying to keep up with the phones and walkie talkies but told me to calm down and just give her a few minutes to find me a pet friendly room. She did get me checked in quickly and even gave me a discount because we where in town for the Sexton dental clinic. Well I have 20 years experience as a hospitality trainer and 10 developing warranty programs for large construction companies. It was very clear to me that the hotel was being upgraded in sections so I thought OH NO. Well let me tell you that my attitude changed quickly.
First off one of the maintenance men (Tim) saw me running to empty my car and came and helped me, he also told me what a great clinic my wife was in and not to worry. My room was not the prettiest but it was very clean and nicely furnished and stocked. I quickly fixed my luggage set up my lap top put some water and snacks in the fridge got the dogs set in, splashed some water on my face and headed out to go be with my wife. As I was leaving Tim came back and asked if everything was ok (I think our room was still undergoing rehab but really only need some cosmetic items to be finished. Tim told me he was going to check the A/C unit and make sure it was running to full capacity, for me not to worry about the dogs that he would make sure they where safe when he left the room. With complete confidence that I lucked into the right hotel. I headed back to the clinic. We returned to the room to find it nice and cool. After having some take out food we went up to the lounge for a drink since it was happy hour until 8 we each had two drinks (Total Bill $8) things where slow so both bartenders took the time to here our story and give us lots of info about SC. We went back to the room and got a great nights sleep, no noise no people passing back and forth in front of the room just a nice quite evening. We awoke to a 6am wake up call I got my wife to the clinic and found out they would be finished with the surgery around 10 but see would need to be back at 1pm to fit in her new denture. I went back to the hotel and once again Sabrina was at the desk. I told her our days schedule (I had a room booked in Georgia about 1/2 way home to South Florida) She Talked to (Pinky) the owner or general manager?) and gave us a late check out and there hopes that everything would go smooth for us.

I did not get to the complimentary breakfast but heard from other guests it was very nice. In all I would just like to say that after having spent half of my life in hotel rooms it was a delight to remember what it is like to stay at a property that is run BY A TEAM OF PEOPLE WHO TRULY TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT THEY DO AND DEDICATE THEIR DAY OR NIGHT TO MAKING YOUR STAY THE BEST IT CAN BE.
Dan Peterson
Ft Myers, Fl.

Room Tip: They have a nice grill at the pool area so if you would like to enjoy a family cook out during your...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank joan p
Florence
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Room 105 - a disastor. Ground floor window would not lock. I had to force it to work. I would not have bought the furnature at a flee market, based on the condition it was in. 2:30 AM wake up to police breaking up the crowd from the Hip-Hop club which is on the property, BAD. Breakfast, not Good. Room for it in need of repair. Lady at the desk helpful and best part of bad experience. Will Not be back - Will Not recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple