“Smelly room, but amazing breakfast.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Florence
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Smelly room, but amazing breakfast.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I arrived here very late, and the front doors were locked. I had to yell through a plastic window to get someone's attention so that I could check in - there was a bell, but it clearly wasn't working. Once I got in, the receptionist was courteous, and the check in process was quick.

The hotel itself is slightly dated. The halls are a bit dingy, but this wasn't a huge issue for me. My room was supposed to be non-smoking, but it reeked of stale cigarette smoke. Room cleanliness was good, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The breakfast was absolutely one of the best that I've ever seen in a hotel at this level - it had the standard waffles, cereal, and muffins, but also a create-your-own fruit parfait bar, an oatmeal bar, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, & multiple types of bagels. I was genuinely impressed.

All in all, if you can deal with the cigarette smell, the bed & breakfast alone make this well worth an overnight visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is my third stay at Country Inn & Suites and am happy to say this hotel chain is great. I had a little problem with the room smelling of cigarette smoke (expected unless the entire hotel is smoke-free) but it was not bad enough that I was able to ignore it after a while. The room was otherwise clean, the front desk and breakfast staff are friendly and efficient. I will definitely look for this chain in my next trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there twice in 10 days; this is a review of both. I was traveling alone w my 22 nth old from DE; we had been on the road for nearly 12 hrs when we arrived. The front desk was so efficient, my son and I were there less than 5 mins. and knew where to go for dinner (Shoney's) and everyone's name. They even had my pack n play ready for me to put on the luggage cart when we got there. I was impressed already. The room was a non- smoking 2nd floor overlooking the pool. It was immaculate; the sheets and pillows were perfect and the temperature in the room was just right when we arrived. Breakfast was more than just a typical continental set up; fruits, eggs, sausage, waffle maker and French toast. This was in addition to the 4 types of coffee, three types of hot tea, fresh fruit, 4 types of juice, hot and cold cereals and pastries. Breakfast is from 7-10:30 on weekends and it is always fresh. The pool was open and not busy Friday night or Sat. Morning when we were there the first time. We were there last night (Sat) and the pool was very busy, but not over crowded.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank DEMommaMustang11
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2013

First time at the chain, so not sure if I picked a gem in the bunch or what, but this place rocks. Looked like a newer hotel, very nice looking throughout. Nice sized room, too, tastefully laid out with a slightly separated area (by a nice archway) for the desk and pull-out sofa. Ridiculously nice gals working there too, really added a lot to the stay.

Hate to say it but I didn't dig the eggs at all, though. Free breakfast, so I'm not too picky, and while I certainly don't expect freshly scrambled eggs at a hotel like this, for instant (or whatever hotel eggs typically are), these were particularly bad - fresh, but just gnarly tasting. And the link sausage was uber too salty, too. Scrapped that little failed effort. Didn't try the waffles or french toast, but I did have some good oatmeal, with plenty of good toppings, and some healthy fruit, including very fresh, chopped variety and a banana. I'm sure my body's glad I didn't like the usual stuff, for it got something it rarely does - healthy stuff! :)

Had the usual assortment of hotel danishes and bagels, too. And did I mention the bold coffee is some of the best I've had? Loved it! Yeah, I know, me too - a hotel? But seriously, darned good java juice.

In any event, like I said, breakfast ultimately forgiven, they've won a fan, I'll definitely visit the chain again after this stay.

PS - Location's flipping awesome, too, especially if you're going south on 95 - just stay straight thru the light at your exit, and you're right there at it. Rate wasn't bad for such a nice place, either, IMHO - $104 including taxes and everything (I don't recall what the before-tax rate was).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Maitland, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We often stay at Country Inn and Suites, and this is definately one of the best. The lady that checked us in actually had a sense of humor! The atttendant taking care of the breakfast was friendly, efficient, and helpful. There were plenty of choices, the breakfast area was kept clean, and it was well supplied. Kudos to the management of this hotel!

1 Thank Accountantgirl
Tunkhannock Township, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel's location is an easy trip on and off of I 95, and the location feels safe. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the front desk staff was quite nice. The downfall of this hotel was the breakfast. The attendant was unable to keep anything stocked. There was no batter for the waffles, no breakfast meats, no muffins or pastries. In fact they were even out of cream for the coffee. We had juice and toast. I would stay here again only if I was unable to find a Marriott property because in my experience their breakfasts are much better.

1 Thank lovestravelanddogs
Freeport, Bahamas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. Was really sorry that we had to leave.

The rooms are way bigger here than all of the other COuntry Inn and Suites we have stayed at.

We had a room with two double beds and a very big sitting area. There is free wifi that is available.

The breakfast area is really awesome. It is very large and the food variety is extremely. It is the best variety that I have seen for a breakfast considering all of the hotels I have stayed at.

It is easy accessible off of I95 and is in a rather populated area with many restaurant surrounding the hotel and along the strip.

Would stay here in a heartbeat again.

Room Tip: Any room you get is good, but ask for one overlooking the pool