“Stay away”

Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Florence
South Riding, Virginia
“Stay away”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Pay a little more and stay at another hotel! It was clean, I'll give them that, however, this Inn is VERY old, has a horrible smell to it. The pool was green/brown, disgusting, looks like it hadn't been touch for YEARS. Customer service was the worst. Free breakfast was terrible. Surprise that this hotel had anything to do with Marriott. What a mistake booking this hotel! Bad night...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear becarg,
Thank you for taking the time to alert us to your experience at the Fairfield Inn Florence.
The comments of our guests helps us to improve. We strive to ensure that all of our guest have a pleasant stay.

You didn't mention when you stayed with us. But based on your comments about the pool it must have been before the pool was open for the season. Our pool is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day. In fact we did a lot of landscaping around the pool just prior to opening it this year. The response from our guests about the pool since opening have been great. From the number of people that we've seen gathering and using the pool so far, it has become a popular place to unwind and relax.

I hope that you'll give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Fairfield Inn Florence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Jersey
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Florence Fairfield Inn for over 10 years on our road trips to Florida as Florence is the halfway point from New Jersey. The room we were first given 111 on the first floor had a broken safety latch, a bent door frame, and some crud on the tile in the bathroom. The staff is very friendly and moved us to another room which was fine.
We will return again on our next drive to Florida.
Now for the positives and why we suck up the negatives.
Within walking distance is the Outback Steakhouse where I had a delicious Ribeye steak.
A short walk from Outback is Brewsters Home made ice cream for desert. Feel like walking off dinner, another short walk to the Magnola Mall.
I happen to like the fact that once I park the car at The Fairfield Inn I don't have to return to it till the next morning. We were asleep at 7:30 PM.
We did not wait for the free breakfast. We had toast and coffee and were on our way at 4:30 AM the next morning.

Howard NJ

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance and ask for a clean room. We prefer the first floor near the outdoor pool in...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Howard M
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Howard M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience at the Fairfield Inn Florence. I apologize that the first room you went into did not meet your needs. But I am glad that we were able to quickly find a better room for you.

The Fairfield Inn Florence is one of the few remaining "Original, First Generation" Fairfields still in operation today. The design and layout of our hotel is typical of what you would have seen 26 years ago when the very first Fairfield opened in Atlanta, GA.. Of course a lot has changed since then.

This hotel has been purchased by new owners that are committed to improving both the hotel and the experiences of our guests. Over the next few months we hope you'll be happy with the changes that we have planned..

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We always trust the Marriott name!! That's why we picked this place on our way down to Florida! Marriott needs to take their name off this place!! Room was horrible!!! Smelled like mildew... Bathroom area was horrible... If we weren't so tired,I would have checked out and asked for a refund!!! Went to get a bucket of ice I. The main lobby... Water all over the floor!! Someone could have slipped and fallen!! Only positive side, the gentleman who checked us in was very nice!!! My suggestion... Stay away, very far away from this hotel/ motel!!! Maureen NJ

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen125
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Maureen125,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience about the Fairfield Inn Florence. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I understand how frustrating the experience was for you. If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me at the hotel.
I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

New Jersey, USA
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My GPS directed us to a bad location (close, but not right). We could see the sigh and found our way. I'm happy we did. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was smaller than other Fairfields we have stayed in, but it was clean and had everything we required. The rooms on the 1st floor open to the outside, so there was no need to use the lobby to get to our room. The room for the breakfast buffet was on the small side compared to the number of rooms it had to serve. But the staff worked hard keep everything moving so there was not a long waiting time. On our trips up and down I-95, would I consider staying there again? Yes

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

I don't understand the reviews expecting a Fairfield Inn to be a 5-star hotel...they aren't supposed to be and never will be.

Needed a hotel on the way to beach that would take pets and this fit the bill. I don't prefer Fairfield when traveling because they aren't as nice unless they are brand new. That said, this was good enough. Good location near a mall and plenty of restaurants. Hotel is older, but decor reasonably fresh and updated. Free breakfast was great with a decent spread and pleasant staff. Free wifi. Fitness room below average with only a treadmill and recumbent bike. Left 4 expensive bike locked on car overnight and no problems. Ask for an interior access room. Would consider staying again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joshb2j
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Joshb2j,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about the Fairfield Inn Florence.
This hotel is one of the few remaining "original, First Generation" Fairfield Inns still in operation.
Even though the hotel is 25 years old we still tery to keep everything fresh and clean.

We are adding a dumb bell rack and balance balls to the fitness center. Hopefully this will help our guests maintain their fitness routines.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Terrible, dirty, dirty room. My feet/socks were black after walking on the carpet for 2 min?!?! Mattress might as well have been a folded up cardboard box, towels and amenities no good either. Accommodations are simply the worst. Ice machine 2nd floor broken and I could go on.

Breakfast buffet was good and staff encountered seemed friendly.

Skip this hotel if you just want a good night sleep on your way though town.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear mbronke
Please let me apologize for your recent stay at the Fairfield Inn Florence. Our hotel is one of the few "Original" Fairfield Inn's still in operation. Our brand has gone through some changes in the last 26 years. The Fairfield Inn Florence was recently purchased by new owners that are committed to improving the experience of all of our guests. We have ordered an new ice maker for the 2nd floor. A local carpet cleaning company has been contacted to clean all of the carpet in the hotel. We hope that the next time you travel through Florence you'll give us another chance to serve you.

New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many, many Marriotts. This was the worst. And expensive for what it is. It should cost about $50 per night, not double.

We checked in about 12:30am. We were exhausted after a long drive. I walk in and there is no one at the front desk. I wait a couple minutes and loudly say hello. Nothing.

I call on the phone and it rings and rings. Almost 10 minutes later the night clerk comes out and lets me know she was in the restroom. No apology.

I try to pay with a Marriott gift card. After 10 minutes of her trying to process it, I tell her to forget it and I will do it in the morning.

The room was clean but small. The bathtub did not stay full for my daughter. It drained as she bathed so we did it quickly.

The breakfast was ok but crowded.

The kicker was after I checked out. I used the one public restroom they have. When I was finished, my shorts were soaking wet with toilet water. The toilet was leaking all over but with the tile color, I didn't notice until it was too late. Yuck!!!!!

Until big changes are made, I would avoid this hotel. Very dissatisfied customer.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
ffi_flofi_gm, General Manager at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear ValerieR,

Please accept my apology for ther inconvenience that you experienced at the Fairfield Inn Florence.
I will discuss your arrival experience with the front desk agent that checked you in.
Our maintenance department is addressing the issue that you had in the restroom.

I truly appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. This is the only way that I can improve the property.

If you would like to discuss your experience with me in more detail please feel free to contact me at the hotel.