“It will take your breath away!”

Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Tampa, Florida
“It will take your breath away!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Literally and physically! If you have ANY kind of breathing problem, you will not make it through the night. Stop a little sooner, or drive a little farther, but do not stop here. All of our tablemates during breakfast were comparing the horrible moldy-smelling rooms. The air-freshener was so strong in our room, it alone would take your breath away. Lay on the bed and then you will smell all the mold permeating under the level of "Air-Wick." Carpet and linens feel damp and sticky from the mold and mildew. When you walk across the carpet, you need shoes on to keep your feet clean of the mold. We did complain to the management but was told it was the resident preceding us who put the Airwick there. Nonsense! It did not spread through five other rooms! Marriott needs to step up on this one and fix it or take their name off! Office staff is very nice but admit to the problem and stop making excuses.

Room Tip: I would try Residence Inn instead of this one. Never again!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Greenville, SC
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were skeptical about this hotel because of the reviews that we saw on Tripadvisor, but we were making last minute plans and decided to try it anyway. We found this hotel much better than the reviews that we read. It is an older hotel and the rooms on the first 2 floors have exterior entry doors, but it was clean and well kept. If you are adamant about having an interior door, request a 3rd floor room. There was a musty smell when entering the hotel, but our room was not musty. Adding dehumidifiers to the rooms, like other hotels throughout the south, would probably help with the humidity issues. I probably wouldn't choose to spend a week at this hotel, but I would stay again overnight when passing through Florence. There are many restaurants and a mall within a short walk.

Room Tip: ask for 3rd floor if you don't like an exterior room entry
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked this thinking a Fairfield would be fine for a nights sleep on a car trip. This was either the 1st Fairfield ever built or another motel that was bought. It was no better than the real cheap spots. The AC blew on a bed, the walls were paper thin and it sounded like the upstair folks were bowling. the bathroom was bout 3X4 feet and the room was musty. All I can say is that it was good i was travelling with my son and NOT my wife. She would have made us leave in the middle of the night

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stephanie W, Director of Sales at Days Inn Florence Near Civic Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I would like to apologize for any incovenience or bad experience you may have had while staying with us. I hope that I may be able to clarify a few things for you. The Fairfield Inn in Florence is a historical property. We are a Generation One hotel. One of the first Fairfield Inn's built. We have tried to embrace that history and show the character that we have here. As far as the noise level is concerned, I am sorry for that also, however, this is the season for sports and we do tend to have alot of ball teams staying with us during this time of year. I'm sure this is what possibly contributed to the noises you heard. We are greatful for all of the business that we have and strive to make each and every guest feel welcome and appreciated. I would ask that you give us another try if you are ever in the area. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call me.
Woodstock, Maryland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Horrible. I expected a restful night to continue our 18 drive. Such a waste of time and money. Af 2 .5 hrs after check in, we left, sleepless, and with a hole in our wallet. Drove the rest of our trip, with not a wink of sleep. Could not tolerate the odors: Stinky, Damp, Musty, Moldy, Uriny... Sheets felt wet. DONT GO! Nice Desk Clerk, though. Marriott? Seriously? worst hotel stay of my life.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We are terribly sorry that you didn't have a good experience while you were here. We appreciate you staying with us and would please ask that in any event that you encounter issues such as these or anything you are not happy with, please inform the front desk immediately. We want our guests to be comfortable and feel appreciated during their stay.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

In my hurry to leave I left a necklace in my room and realized it 45 minutes up the road. I immediately called the front desk to have housekeeping check for it. I KNOW it's there. A few hours later I get a very long detailed message stating that it's not. Once I get home I double check my small bag just to make sure and it's not there. So I call back again and state that I KNOW that it's there and I give the description again. The necklace was not pricy but was a sentimental gift from my Mother after my Grandmother passed away. This has never happened to me. And I'm devastated.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MAnders7631
New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We arrived late & were exhausted or we would have requested a new room. Ours was clean, and functional, but it smelled like a damp mildewy basement. The air conditioner blows right next to the bed. Besides the damp smell, it wasn't bad; the service was friendly, we had our dogs with us & they did fine.

Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as it was late at night and we found a $64 coupon in a magazine. It was an exterior door room which we knew of upfront. Our complaint was that we requested two beds and the a/c unit blew right on you at night by the one bed closest to the door, poor design. We had to turn the temperature lower and put a chair in front of the unit so it made the room too warm. Also, they were double beds which were not comfortable and pillows were soft. Towels in the bathroom were not thick and the bathroom was small. Breakfast was complimentary but standard. Staff was ok, but we were disappointed in our stay for a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback. These issues have been addressed and we are currently in the process of trying to divert the air from units to a more upward direction rather than allowing them to blow directly on the beds. Once again, thank you for addressing these issues. We do hope to see you again! Feel free to call me directly if you would like to discuss anything further.