“Convenient Location”

Ranked #29 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Massachusetts
“Convenient Location”
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We stayed in Florence (off I-95) on our way to and from Florida (from New England). On our trip south we stayed at the Quality Inn next door because it was a pet friendly hotel but on the way back we chose the Fairfield Inn (the kitty remained in Florida). We like Fairfield Inns...

When we checked in we were given a king / non-smoking room on the first floor - the room had a door entering from the parking lot and not through an inside corridor. Not a biggie but that makes me feel like I'm in a motel. Anyway, that room smelled musty and of smoke, and it was just not what you'd expect at a Fairfield Inn.

On my way to the lobby to change to another room, there was a Police Officer banging on a door just a few down from mine. Then an unmarked cruiser arrived ... not comforting.

Our room was changed to an upper floor, with an entrance from a locked corridor. The room smelled musty still but it was a definite improvement over the first room. Thankfully the window opened and the fresh air helped the musty smell clear out quickly.

The area is convenient - right off the Interstate, there are restaurants all around and a Target is just behind the hotel.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank ATPitts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
saugerties,ny
Reviewed March 15, 2007

We stayed here last week on a visit to my FIL. This was definitely the best part of the stay. We arrived early and they gave us a room on the 2nd floor immediately. It had a nice big bed and was very clean. It is not a giant room but was comfortable for us. The breakfast they give you has many choices including eggs, fruit, muffins, bagels and Jimmy Dean sandwiches. There are 2 malls directly behind the hotel and many restaurants with walking distance to choose from, including Percy and Willies which was very good. If I have to go and see my father in law again I would definitely stay here.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank roadkinggirl
Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I'm a frequent business traveler, usually fly and often stay in Marriott business-class properties but had not experienced the Fairfield brand. Spouse is a reluctant traveler with health probs that required us to divvy an 850-mile road trip with an overnight stay each way. This was a fine choice; very clean room, new-looking decor, comfortable bed, spotless bath. Friendly helpful staff, great comp breakfast. Fitness room is bare-bones aerobics (nothing for upper-body) but clean, fairly new equipment. We booked the same hotel for the return trip 5 days later and found similar everything, except this room had a slight mildew smell in the bath area that was only noticeable for the first few seconds and not a problem after that. We'd stay here again. Bonus: Great restaurants and shopping within walking distance.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Green&Grateful
Londonderry, NH
Reviewed October 28, 2006

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our way to Florida. The hotel is nice and everyone was very friendly. The rooms are a little on the small size but they were more than adequate for an overnight stay and were very clean. Also had a nice breakfast in the morning. I would stay here again as a stopover.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank patior
Massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2006

My brother (who is relocating to Florence) and I stayed here at the suggestion of friend from the area.
We stayed here three nights waiting for my brother's apt to open up. We checked in late on a Sunday night. The desk staff was very helpful and friendly. One day the girl at the front desk made photo copies of maps and restaurants for my brother.
The hotel was nice, the lobby was clean and presentable. There is even a bowl of hard candy for the taking.
Also I noticed that they put cookies out one afternoon. However, I am not sure if they do this every day.

The room itself was in my opinion small. I guess it would have be fine for a simple one night stay but since we were there for a few nights we had quite a few bags and it seemed like the bags took up all of the extra space in the room. The room was clean, not great but good. I noticed a hair on my bed BUT I am not sure it wasn't mine. The bathroom was clean but the shower could have been cleaner. On the second day I noticed that they didn't replenish the toilet paper. I feel like they should have at least left one roll since we would be there for another 2 days.

One day I sat out by the pool and read my book, the area was quiet enough and I was the only one around for hours. Although, I did not go in the pool, it looked very clean and I did notice someone cleaning it in the morning.

I also used the fitness center which consisted of a treadmill, a stair master and a stationary bike. There was a TV in the room and a water dispenser. I would have liked some free weights but was glad to at least be able to use the treadmill.

The free breakfast was one of the best I have seen. Large selection and covered food. Waffles, french toast, muffins, danish, three kinds of bread, bagels, english muffins, coffee all day, juices, yogurt, fruit, breakfast was great. I was impressed.

Overall I rate this hotel a B+ and mostly for the helpful staff, the presentation and the breakfast. I would have given this hotel an A- or higher if the cleanliness was better and the room was bigger.

One thing I should mention, we got a discounted rate through our friend. The rate was low and I think that if I had to pay over $115 a night I would have been disappointed.

Lastly, I plan on visiting my brother again in Nov and will be staying here again (as long as I can get that same rate :-) )

• Liked — The Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed October 2006
7 Thank lovlylins
maryland
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I feel this hotel isn't up to Marriott standards. The room is very small. It also smelled of mold. Cleaning wasn't great. Dust on lamps and hair on vanity. I won't be staying here again.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank southernlover
Long Island, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Stayed in a room with 2 double beds, which was a nice size and bathroom was nicely sized as well, with the sink external. None was small in my opinion as I have read.

This is definitely Marriott's budget hotel and it shows by the little things not being available, like no closet (though there is a spot to hang clothes), no full length mirror and no holder for the soap at the sink. None are big deals, but I'm just pointing out that its obvious where they have tried to save money compared to their other properties.

There is an outdoor pool that is clean and nicely sized, though not big enough for doing laps. The free breakfast in the morning was mostly continental, with Jimmy Dean egg and sausage wraps you can heat up in the microwave. All was very yummy, especially the fresh waffles. There is seating inside and at the pool so you can enjoy your meal in either place.

Location is right off of 95 and 20 and is in the Target / Bed Bath and Beyond shopping center, both great if you need anything for your trip.

People at the front desk were very nice. I will be staying here again - they even called our room just after we got in to make sure everything was ok.

• Liked — Rooms were large and clean, outdoor pool was heated and clean
  • Disliked — No PC with internet connection available in the lobby as with other Marriott properties
  • Tips/Secrets — Can't go wrong staying here