“EXCELLENT FOOD BUT UNDERSTAFFED FRONT DESK”

Hilton Garden Inn Florence
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Hawaii
“EXCELLENT FOOD BUT UNDERSTAFFED FRONT DESK”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

The food at the buffet is excellent. Even is you do not stay at the Hotel, try the lunch buffet.
It is reasonably priced and superb Pasta dishes. Bon Apetite!

The front desk is extremely understaffed. Only 1 Woman doing 4 different jobs at once.

Business Center computer and copier did not work one morning.

Poorly mismanaged.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Maryland
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Every aspect of our overnight stay was wonderful. The room was spacious, clean, and modern. The in-room HVAC was surprisingly quiet. The bedding was luxurious - we slept better here than we do at home. This hotel was the perfect end to a long day.

Just one small complaint ... At check-in, we asked the front desk to deduct the morning paper as we never read it. The staff missed this.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband, 8yr old son & myself recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn while on a trip to the Nascar race in Darlington! WOW were we happy with our choice! I have to say that the sales staff was EXTREMELY friendly & helpful with our reservations! We were so thrilled with our choice in this hotel we would definately stay again. The hotel is beautiful our room was wonderful. The cleaning staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is in a great area as far as restaurants & stores. There is a Chilis, Olive Garden, Longhorn, Waffle House, Chick Fil A, IHOP, Wendys, Brusters, & im sure more that im missing. It is also right across the street from the mall, Target, and many more strip mall stores. I will say this...if you go to leave the hotel, DO NOT make a left onto the main road or you will end up on I-20 w/no where to turn around until I-95, then you have to get onto 95 and turn around there...my husband and I made that mistake and went WAY out of our WAY just to get to dinner!! We had a good laugh but it was a little frustrating at first, so be careful of your turns!! HA!HA! I did notice that there werent a whole lot of gas stations right around the hotel, you need to look around. The hotel has a very large parking lot so you dont need to worry about that. Overall, this hotel was very nice and everyone was very friendly. We would stay again!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last year on our drive down from New York to Florida and we loved it so much that we reserved another stay this year. It is a perfect resting stop. The rooms are excellent (we had the 2 queen beds, extra large room). Check in is a breeze and my son absolutely loves the indoor pool. The staff is very friendly and is very quick in responding to requests (extra pillows, towels, etc.) We ordered in room service and the food is quite good. We will definitely reserve this hotel next year and look forward to another great stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lmartinez825
NYC
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We drove from NJ to Florida for the holiday week.
No surprise that most hotels were fully booked by 8p.m.
all thru North Carolina. So we kept driving and called ahead and booked this hotel from our cell phone. We arrived at midnight and the sole individuale at the desk did a GREAT job of checking people in while he kept answering the phone.
The place is spotlessly new. With AAA it wasn't much more money than a typical Hampton. It doesn't have the FREE breakfast but honestly the food was so much better than typical hotel food that none of us really cared. 2 adults & 2 teens ate for $25 bucks. And the food was excellent!!

• Liked — Clean & good value: Quiet area.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Jersey Shore
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed here on our way home to NJ from Fla. We arrived at the hotel at 6pm, and left the next AM at 5.

THis hotel was PERFECT! It was very easy on/off of 95. MANY restaurants and store's in the area also. So much to do if you want. BUT we did not want to leave as we were tired. So, we got into our room which was really clean as was the rest of the property. There is a pool, restaurant, lounge, bar and fitness room. Or, you can just take a walk to all the properties that surround this hotel.

We ordered room server which was really a good meal. Staff was great!

If you need to stay in Florence, I would HIGHLY recommend this location.

• Liked — Clean, all you need and great location off 95.
  • Disliked — We did not stay here on the way to Fla!!!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
Reviewed December 27, 2008

On a road trip to Miami from Connecticut, we made it to Florence, South Carolina (picked it as a stopping point due to the size of the city – AAA travel books indicated lots of hotel options, etc.). I accidentally made reservations at what I THOUGHT was a hotel from a respectable chain located off of I-95 at exit 164. It ended up being a motel set-up (exterior corridors… I didn’t fully read the AAA info, I guess) and it was pretty rundown. Upon visiting our room, I immediately called the front desk and asked if we could check-out because it was not what I anticipated or expected. They obliged and I was truly grateful.

We hit the road again, and got off at exit 160A, which was a MUCH nicer section of town – lots of hotels (interior corridors) as opposed to the motels at exit 164, lots of restaurant options, a mall with plenty of stores, gas stations, etc. We decided to check into the Hilton Garden Inn. I had never visited an HGI before, and after this stay, will absolutely make a point of staying in HGIs wherever I can find them.

The hotel seemed to be brand new, with a nice parking lot, lobby and facilities. The check-in process was terrific. The staff was extremely welcoming and friendly, and it everything went quickly and smoothly. The room was a great size and was spotlessly clean with some terrific amenities – a refrigerator and microwave, coffee maker, free high speed internet access, etc. The bathroom was large and squeaky clean. The water pressure was great (better than most hotels I’ve stayed in) and the bath products were nice (Neutrogena brand). But the greatest aspect of the room was the bed – amazingly comfortable with a not-too-soft but not-too-firm mattress and soft, plush linens. We had a terrific night’s sleep after a long day on the road.

During our brief stay we also used the fitness center (small and clean with TVs, a couple of good cardio pieces, some free weights and a universal machine) and the business center (two nice, new computers with free use of the color printer and copy machine). We did not use the pool or spa, but they looked very nice. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant (adjacent to the lobby) and enjoyed a tasty meal and attentive service.

The best part of the whole stay was that we got a terrific AAA rate that was only about $20 more than the motel we initially checked into. Making the move to the HGI was one of the best decisions of the whole trip! It was such an enjoyable stay that we made a point to stay at an HGI on the return trip home (it was located in Roanoke Rapids, NC). The stay in NC was very nice (though not AS nice as the Florence HGI – the area was not comparable, the service was not as attentive, and the price was more expensive).

We will DEFINITELY stay at the Florence, SC HGI again when we head to FL and encourage others to do so as well!

• Liked — new, clean, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank OrangeSquirrel