“Functional but nothing special”

Hilton Garden Inn Florence
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Fairfield, California
“Functional but nothing special”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here in November 2012 for a few days while in the area for work. There are quite a few places to stay in the area, but nothing that I would normally choose if I were on vacation. The room I stayed in was pretty basic. No frills, but it served its purpose, and since I was here to work and not on vacation, the room suited me just fine.

The positives:
- Convenient location – near shopping, many restaurants, and across the way from the mall
- Spacious rooms – not that I needed the space
- Clean room/bathroom
- Nice lobby

The negatives:
- Shower water pressure was way too strong.
- AC/heating unit was really loud. It was too cold at night to leave the heater off, but the heater was too loud to fall asleep easily with it on.
- The coffee was bitter (tasted burnt).
- The pastries from the (not free) breakfast bar were dry.

The neutrals:
- Bed comfort was ok. I certainly prefer my own bed, but it wasn’t terrible.
- Breakfast is $7.95 regardless of how much or little you eat, so if you want a light breakfast (just cup of yogurt or fruit), buy it elsewhere and keep it in the mini fridge.
- Décor in the room was . . . meh. I was here for work, so I didn’t care too much. A little drab for if I was on vacation though.
- No kitchenette (just a microwave, coffee maker, and mini fridge). Not a big deal for a few days, but as I was scheduled to be in the area for two weeks I moved over to the Residence Inn so I could cook a few meals instead of eating out all the time.
- The staff was courteous, but as they are in the hotel industry I expect that.

Overall, the Hilton Garden Inn is not a bad place, but it’s not a great place either. I don’t think I’ll be back in the area, but I probably wouldn’t stay here again if I had to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Hudson, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here on our way through SC on our way to FL and were very impressed. You could still smell the fresh paint in the rooms. The room was immaculate, and much bigger than we anticipated. The beds were very comfortable, and though we didn't have the breakfast it looked and smelled fabulous and was at a very reasonable price. Would definitely (and will next week on our way back through) stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hotelsnob33
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Excellent lodging, good restaurant with a nice variety of entrees. The same menu is available from Room Service. Very convenient to I-95 and I-20. A number of good restaurants within walking distance. In-room amenities included Microwave, refrigerator and wireless Internet access.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have stayed at the Hampton next door and would suggest you choose the Hilton Garden Inn. The Hampton is out dated and not much less than the HGI. The Hilton is nice clean and you can walk to Chili's or Olive Garden. The rooms were done well and the internet was pretty fast as hotels go that is.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HGI_Florence, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Florence, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appriciate the feedback. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Melissa Banks, Director of Sales
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is located next to the convention center, a small mall, and several restaurants.
I did not try the inhouse restaurant since I travel alone and like to sit at the bar. The bar only has 5 chairs and is a bit tight.

Hotel is clean and well maintained, staff are helpful and friendly.
Rooms are typical of this chain, clean and comfortable except the bed which seemed harder! than other HGIs.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the feedback. We are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay.
I'm sorry you didn't get the chance to have your evening meal with us. You should give it a try the next time. Upon you return, also ask any associate how to operate our Garden Sleep System adjustable beds. I'm sure we can find the right setting for you. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Melissa Banks, Director of Sales
Maryland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stopped at this hotel on the way to Florida. It’s a standard hotel that is very clean with friendly staff. One standout aspect is that there are a lot of stores within a mile radius (i.e. Target, Ihop, Best Buy, Mall).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Stopped on our way to Florida. Hotel was right off I95, very convenient. Plenty of places to eat within walking distance. Also lots of stores. Hotel staff was gracious and accommodating. Room was large enough, even had a microwave and fridge. The bed was comfortable and everything was very clean. Breakfast cooked to order, all you could eat for $7.95 in their restaurant-well worth it.would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family