“Sorry excuse for motel and management....”

Motel 6 Florence Historic Downtown
Motel 6 Florence Historic Downtown
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
“Sorry excuse for motel and management....”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We checked in and the first room had roaches, deadbolt didn't work, television didn't work, bathroom had not been cleaned around the toilet, disgusting...and this was after we unloaded the car with our luggage and packed it upstairs. Only to call the office and was told to come back and get another room. Loaded everything back up since we were in the very back of the motel, which by the looks of it, there was NO WAY I was staying in a room without a deadbolt, and drove back to the front. We received another room, and upon arrival in it, the smell of must and mold would knock you down! The floor felt very weak in spots, like you were going to wake up in the room below. My son couldn't stop sneezing and my husband could hardly breathe. While we tried to gather our thoughts, after a long day, I pulled the mattress up, just out of curiosity and found that the box spring was hardly holding together and I could tell because it was just wood and springs, no cover! At this, we decided to just forgo the rest of our son's bowling trip and return home! After going to the front desk and explaining the situation, the lady was very nice and explained that she would leave a note for the manager to refund our card in the AM. The next day, I called the motel to check on the refund, AS PROMISED, and was told that the manager decided that he wasn't refunding our money. This is still unresolved...ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WITH ATTITUDE AND REFUSAL TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON A PROMISE!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela L
, General Manager at Motel 6 Florence Historic Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
There are several misrepresentations to this statement. 1st--there were no roaches in the room. None were reported to management before or after the stay. Management went back through the room and could not find any. 2nd--the toilet was clean. There was a spot in the very back behind the toilet where maintenance had regrouted the tiles--no dirt. 3rd--the box spring did have a cover over it as do all of our box springs. 4th--there was never a refund promised. At the guests request, we changed her to 3 different rooms before she decided to leave. These 3 rooms had to be cleaned before they could be rented again. At no time was anyone discourteous to the guest. There were several phone calls made prior to her talking to the General Manager--each time her story changing. The guests account was credited by the General Manager even after she wrote the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Nice staff. Real attempt to keep an ancient property nice. Not at all seedy. Decent neighborhood. But the structure is falling apart literally. Wiring looks sketchy. Ceiling tiles and walls sagging. Needs a bulldozer.

• Stayed January 2012

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Nightmare! rolled up wet carpet, tub detaching from the wall, roaches.. Need I say more

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Unfortunately, I did not read TripAdvisor before staying here.....I thought I was staying at a Country Inn & Suites.....but that additional word "Hearth" made all the difference.....this chain should take a look at their Florence, SC member.....I can't believe they present themselves as AAA rated!!! AAA is slacking....if it allows a place like this in its membership! After checking in to my run down room, I walked around.....the swimming pool was a disgusting cesspool.....green, slimy, full of debris. I did not want to swim.....but I also do not want to look at something so revolting.......it is NOT relaxing at all! Even a covered pool that hasn't been filtered in a while does not look this bad. Although my room door (which was a mass of peeling paint) had a sign on it saying no smoking permitted, the room reeked of smoke. The sink had a big hole in it which someone tried (unsuccessfully) to patch.....it was just rusty and gross. The sheets were tired, the pillows smelled, unfortunately there is nothing good to say about the place.....when I called in to make the reservation, I asked the staff if the motel was in good condition......I was told it was.....wow, were they ever delusional. Wish I had a camera with me.....you have to see it to believe it! Do yourself a favor......DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
bangor maine
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Horrible, stunk, unfriendly front dask clerk ( skinny dark male) even worse chek out clerk (black female about mid 50's), mold in bathroom, shower curtain ripped, comforter had a hole in it, carpet was tattered and torn, hot breakfast was free but tasteless, dining area old and paint falling from ceiling. Free newspaper was the only plus.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Virginia
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We attended the Darlington Historic Racing festival and spent three nights at this establishment. The hotel has a small outdoor pool and a hot buffet breakfast is included in the price of your room. Checkin & checkout were businesslike and we had little trouble obtaining extra towels.

There was initially a strong smell of cleaning solvents in our room but it wasn't overpowering. Our room was equipped with refrigerator, coffee maker and a microwave. We didn't use the microwave but the fridge and coffee maker worked without fail. The television channels included the SPEED channel. All the plumbing worked well, the shower drained quickly enough. The air conditioner cooled adequately but was a little loud at night, but was not among the loudest that I've encountered.

The room looked as if the drop ceiling was new. I saw only a single spider in the room during our stay. The bed was hard and my wife found it somewhat uncomfortable. The room was fairly clean but you certainly couldn't call it spotless by any means.

The two chairs in the room were fine, the couch could have been firmer. The phone worked and local calls were free.

The hotel is in an urban setting with auto parts stores, a dollar store, drug store and a great gelati/custard store nearby.

Train tracks are nearby too and you might be awakened by the rumble or the train's horn. Although some of the guests' children were somewhat rambunctious during the day and early evening all the guests were quiet at night while we were there.

You must pick-up coupons for your complementary breakfast and the price of coffee, tea and water are included. Other beverages must be paid for separately. Items included while we were there were sliced pears in syrup, grapefruit segments, orange segments, watermelon, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, hash browns, fried bologna, country ham, smoked sausage, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy, sweet rolls, grits, cheese grits...

All in all this room was worth every penny we paid for it but not a penny more.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — It was a little tattered.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank wood_brothers21
sacramento, ca
Reviewed March 3, 2005

I booked this room based on a couple of things - price of course being one - breakfast included at the cafe next door being another, and I didn't see any negative reviews (guess I missed it)

We got to the hotel at about 11pm. The desk clerk came to the outside window it went downhill from there. She was rude to the point of surly.
When we got the key to the room I told her "Thank you" and she didn't say anything - just looked at me and slammed the plexi glass window closed.

We were given a room in the very back of the hotel -even though she told us there were other rooms available. The room had only enough towels for one person even though we had told them two people when we made the reservation. When we tried to call to get more towels no one ever answered the phone.

The door wobbled, made noise, and let cold air in all night. I finally put a chair in front of the door so that I could block some of the light.

There was a bag of garbage outside the room next door to us that had apparently been left there by the maid.

All in all - I did sleep, and that is the best that can be said about this hotel.

With the variety of options that I saw available as we were heading to it I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2005