“Tidy little gem is everything you've read or heard”
Review of Long Grain Cafe

Long Grain Cafe
Ranked #32 of 263 Restaurants in Florence
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I'll sum up first: my experience matched that of the other reviewers. Long Grain Cafe is a gem.

My family loves Thai and Asian fusion cooking, and the eclectic menu was a challenge--what to choose? After all, any menu that offers both Mongolian Beef and Shrimp & Grits is making some serious promises, and it was hard for me to narrow down from five choices to one.

I won't keep you here--no doubt you have lots to do, so let's cut to the chase: it was all excellent. The flavors on all the dishes were well balanced, the ingredients were fresh, everything was cooked correctly, and the service was attentive. The portions were more than sufficient, and it's nice to find a restaurant that provides enough rice to allow me to sop up the sauce at the end. The bill came to about $30 dollars for the three of us. That's about 66% of the cost of a standard chain casual dining house--and you won't get fed nearly as well there as you will at Long Grain Cafe.

I can't speak to the breakfast and lunch aspects of service, but I have no reason to doubt that they're every bit as good as dinner. I wish I didn't live 400 miles away, because it limits my ability to visit again--and again. (You'll have to do it for me, okay?)

I've included photos of my dish and my son's. I didn't get a photo of my wife's dish because, as I've said elsewhere, sometimes the fork is faster than the photographer.

1  Thank Mercurian

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

The menu was eclectic: American, Asian Fusion & Thai. We ordered ginger chicken & dan dan noodles. Both were excellent & in large portions. Service was friendly & attentive. Comfortable atmosphere but
not fancy. Since Florence SC has so few good choices, this place is a real treat. We'll definitely dine there again!

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Great food at a great price. Tea and coffee included in the prices. Staff was extremely friendly. Can't wait to come back for lunch.

1  Thank brian h
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stopped for lunch on the second day of our drive from Nashua, NH to Jupiter, FL after checking in with Trip Advisor. While we are a little skeptical of all 5 star reviews from a limited number of submissions (you never know if it's staff or friends of the owner) we have to agree. This place was a real find. Great food at a reasonable price and very friendly staff.

I had a chicken BLT deep fried with a light crisp buttermilk batter and presented with a tarter sauce that seemed to have just a hint of horseradish. It came with a side of sweet potato fries. My wife had a fried fish sandwich done with the same batter. I sampled it and it was also excellent.

We normally try to avoid stopping in SC as we've had some disappointing experiences in the past. After this we'll be more open to the possibilities. We just have to make sure we check with Trip Advisors first.

1  Thank Ron C
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This eatery has become my top venue in Florence for breakfast. I've tried almost all, stack this one securely on top!

The value of the breakfast skillets is unparallelled anywhere I've ever been. You get a platter of pan-browned red-skinned potatoes topped any of 4 or 5 different ways, eggs to order, bread, a fresh fruit side, and drink for $5-6, such a deal. They also have almost anything one could imagine for breakfast in the South. I especially enjoy the fried fish and eggs. They use flounder or tilapia, ask the server, they'll check for you. The coffee is the best I've had since living in Europe! There's a banner declaring it to be Rain Forest Alliance brand. These people are on the cutting edge of breakfast service, for sure. Add a cloth napkin to their many merits.

This business only began June, 2013, so they haven't been cooking a year yet, but I'm sold on it being the best quality and value of any in the Pee Dee. They open daily at 6, close after lunch for a couple of hours and then do dinner Tuesdays through Saturdays from 5 to 9. I can't vouch for either lunch or dinner, but breakfast is fabulous! They have pancakes, waffles, eggs done many ways, omelettes, fresh red-skinned potatoes (available nowhere else in the Pee Dee) and a few specialty items that will tantalize even the most jaded of gourmands. GO! EAT! HAPPY!

This is a very friendly atmosphere, I've met a few new friends here, and the management seems well versed in customer service. They have a "Help Wanted" sign often, so this tells me the business is growing. The front of the house and the kitchen staff communicate well, the result being happy customers. What's not to love?

5  Thank Euro-lust