“A great little find” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rebel Pie

Rebel Pie
Ranked #8 of 252 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
connecticut
“A great little find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2014

My husband and I were driving back to Raleigh from a weekend in Charleston when we veered off the highway to find a restaurant for dinner. Somehow we came across Rebel Pie in Florence, SC. Situated on a bland road in a bland strip mall you'll find this real gem. The decor is nothing to get excited about however the friendly staff were very welcoming. The wood-fired pizzas are created using local artisan ingredients and are not run of the mill pizzas. The salads were tremendous, my husband enjoyed the beer selection and overall it was a happy experience. We would go out of our way to go back there on our next venture south.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank luckygirl21

Louisville, Kentucky
“Just OK Pizza!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

I stopped by Rebel Pie for lunch one day. The service was great the entirety of visit but in my opinion, the pizza was just ok. I ordered the meat pizza with beef, bacon and pepperoni and it was good but the crust was burned to the point that it affected the flavor negatively. I understand that the pizza is cooked at a high temperature but my preference is for my crust to not taste burned. If in Florence, I will try again because it was good even with the crust not to my liking.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Barry T, Owner at Rebel Pie, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
While I was happy to hear that the service you received during your recent lunch visit to Rebel Pie was great, I was disappointed that the pizza did not meet your expectations.

As you mentioned, our pizzas do cook in an 800° wood-burning oven in about 90 seconds, and it is common—and actually considered desirable with Neapolitan-style pizzas—to have varying degrees of charring on the crust and dark spots on the bottom (referred to as leopard spotting). However, when the pizza has been cooked properly the charred crust should not actually taste burnt or bitter. It sounds like your pizza was overcooked and I do apologize. We try to catch these before they go out, but unfortunately since the pizza cooks so quickly and the difference between perfectly cooked and overcooked is literally seconds (and different guests prefer differing degrees of charring as well), we do occasionally have a pizza go out that is too well done. Had you brought your pie to our attention, we would have been happy to make you a new one.

I was pleased to see that you do plan to try us again. When you do, please don't hesitate to let your server know that you would prefer your pizza with less charring, and we will be happy to accommodate your request.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope we see you again soon,

Barry Townsend
Co-owner
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Visiting Florence for work we researched many resturants and read several reviews on Rebel Pie, which were all highly recommended. Wow! The pizza was everything reviewed. The crust was thin and crispy, even with several toppings. The cheese along with fresh pepperoni and veg's was absolutely wonderful. Pizza cooked in 90 sec, 800 degree brick oven, outstanding. Highly recommend

1 Thank Camping10008
Columbia, Maryland
“Amazing Pizza and Dessert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Whether this is a pit stop traveling on 95 or if you are local, Rebel Pie is definitely worth a visit. We were driving from Maryland to Georgia with 4 kids and came across this restaurant. Not only did everyone say this was the best pizza they have ever eaten, but the kids are still talking about the Smores Pizza for dessert - which is a must try. The biggest endorsement came from our four year old who proclaimed this pizza was even better than Chuck-E-Cheese. While us adults know this restaurant is at the opposite end of the pizza spectrum, this is a huge endorsement from him to de-throne the reigning pinnacle of pizza experience.

Florence, South Carolina
“Fantastic locally owned Pizza restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

If you like pizza, then Rebel Pie is a must! From the time you walk into the door, you are greeted with wall graphics that really are modern and well-designed. This place is the perfect example of a "family restaurant" which I love. Immediately inside the door you are greeted by the two owners that are preparing these wonderful pies right in front of you. Also, at any moment you will probably see one, if not several of their children helping out. It really makes you feel like you have walked into a friend's house to enjoy a great meal.
The food is fantastic. They have added homemade pimento cheese baguettes that are topped with a piece of bacon (because we all know bacon makes everything better!). You can tell that it is made from scratch, just like everything else in here. The flavor is excellent. Alan (co-owner and in house baker) makes these rebel wafers that are awesome too, and they are brought to your table as you sit down. As for the pizza, the flavor jumps out at you. All of the pizzas are made with fresh mozzarella instead of a shredded product and you can really taste the difference. The Quattro Formaggi (four cheese) pizza is a great option if you would like to try something other than a marinara sauce. You have other options too, there is a goat cheese (de chèvre), a Mediterranean or the original pizza the margherita. All are wonderful choices. They also do a "Pie of the Month" which is a unique way to keep something fresh on the menu.
To top it off there are a couple of options for dessert if you have a sweet tooth. The s'mores pizza or the pecan danish pizza are both great.
If you have not stopped by yet, do so. You will not be disappointed. I simply can not get enough of this place, the food, the atmosphere, and the attention to detail make this a location not to be missed!! Two big thumbs up from me!