“Very Good”

Wholly Smokin' BBQ and Ribs
Ranked #3 of 257 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Located in the heart of Florence's Historic District, Wholly Smokin' Downtown is part of a big movement to revitalize the downtown area of small cities across the state. Our rustic ambiance pays homage to the architecture of the past while utilizing state-of-the-art equipment to bring the best to our customers. Wholly Smokin' has been awarded honors/trophies in both SC BBQ competition sanctioned events and in local competitions as well. Our tag line is "BBQ, Ribs And A Whole Lot More"...As we offer much more than your ordinary BBQ restaurant. In addition, we have a full waitstaff to make your dining experience relaxing and enjoyable. Lastly, we have a full bar with our own mixologist, offering a fine wine portfolio, craft beer and wonderful craft cocktails! Visit us Wednesday through Saturday evenings to enjoy live music, either in the bar or in our courtyard! And there is plenty of parking in the large lot behind the restaurant.
Statesville, North Carolina
“Very Good”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Service was excellent. BBQ is vinigar based. Not my favorite but was not too bad. The BBQ baked beans were excellent, and the loaded potato salad was the best I have ever had.

• Visited March 2014

Washington, DC
“Short Detour for Incredible BBQ and Friendly Service”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

While driving from Florida to Pennsylvania, my husband and I searched the internet for an eatery to snag some Carolina BBQ. We stumbled upon Wholly Smokin' BBQ and I am so happy we did. We tried the BBQ pork, chicken, and brisket and sampled the spicy BBQ beans, loaded potato salad, and chicken bog as sides. Everything was great, but the brisket was my favorite. This was also a HUGE amount of food that tasted incredible re-heated the next day as leftovers. One thing to note, the ribs aren't served until after noon (we arrived at 11:30 so we missed out).

Not only was the food tasty, but we also chatted with the staff and the owner. Genuinely nice people who helped us navigate the menu.

I highly recommend this place. It's not far off the interstate, offers quick service, and is an excellent sampling of Carolina BBQ. We will absolutely be stopping here again.

• Visited March 2014
“Great ribs”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We stopped as we were passing through to Florida. This is off the beaten path but worth the trip. Ribs were perfect-- juicy and well seasoned, they didn't need any sauce. The meat was tender and came easily off the bone. The brisket was also very tender, but the meat was greasy. I give mixed review on sides. Great beans and potato salad (it's warm), but the green bean salad tasted like canned beans, with a little vinegar--awful. Good value overall because the ribs were worth it.

New Mexico
“Very good barbecue with two sauces”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were driving north from Savannah when we stopped here for lunch. The food was very good: ribs with a flavorful rub (a little fatty, but good), pulled pork sandwich served with cole slaw on top of the pork, an excellent warm, baked potato salad (it is delicious; don't miss it). The restaurant provided two sauces; the tangy one was made with mustard, and the other was tomato-based, a little on the sweet side. Both were tasty, but I prefer Texas-style sauces (not as sweet). The owner was behind the counter, along with two young wait staff; all were friendly and helpful. We used our GPS to find the restaurant, which came up sooner than expected. Don't know why that happened.

• Visited February 2014
“An Acquired Taste”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I ate here after reading the Trip Advisor reviews, and a few hours later I was regretting my decision.

First off, this place is in a strip mall. I have no problem with that if the food is good, but my opinion it's just meh.

Real barbecue is just slow smoked meat to which the consumer chooses their sauce. Some can pass with sauce added during cooking provided they don't over do it. That does not apply here, as it is heavily sauced during cooking. The sauce here is unique and I don't mean that in a good way. It appears that he is trying to combine midland South Carolina mustard based sauce with Lexington North Carolina ketchup based sauce and the result is a disaster.

The sign says ribs and barbecue, so I decided to get the ribs and pork combo. I initially was excited when the plate was served as the ribs looked just like Memphis dry rub style, which I love. Nope these aren't dry rub, that was his special sauce burnt on the ribs. These ribs do fall off the bone but were greasy inside with not many notes of smoky flavor as the sauce overpowers every thing it is applied to. The pork was a pale yellow color with some smoky flavor so it was not quite as bad.

The portions are large and the price is reasonable. The spicy baked beans seems to have some of his house special sauce in it along with some pork, but they too were just a little overbearing. I did enjoy the loaded potato salad and I agree with other reviewers with their assessment on this menu item.

The service was good, but that is likely because there were only four other people in the restaurant.

If your pleasure it an upset stomach, this is the place. There is a reason his highest award in local competition is no better than second or third and these awards are strictly local, as only in the immediate Florence area, an area not famous nor known for barbecue nirvana.

• Visited January 2014