“Has Potential” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wholly Smokin' BBQ and Ribs

Wholly Smokin' BBQ and Ribs
Ranked #3 of 252 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the heart of Florence's Historic District, Wholly Smokin' Downtown is part of a big movement to revitalize the downtown area of small cities across the state. Our rustic ambiance pays homage to the architecture of the past while utilizing state-of-the-art equipment to bring the best to our customers. Wholly Smokin' has been awarded honors/trophies in both SC BBQ competition sanctioned events and in local competitions as well. Our tag line is "BBQ, Ribs And A Whole Lot More"...As we offer much more than your ordinary BBQ restaurant. In addition, we have a full waitstaff to make your dining experience relaxing and enjoyable. Lastly, we have a full bar with our own mixologist, offering a fine wine portfolio, craft beer and wonderful craft cocktails! Visit us Wednesday through Saturday evenings to enjoy live music, either in the bar or in our courtyard! And there is plenty of parking in the large lot behind the restaurant.
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
“Has Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Cleanest, freshest bbq place I've ever been in. Great storefront location that was easy to get to. Service was friendly & very quick. Prices reasonable, portions generous and selection is good. Now for the one area of improvement: Black Pepper. Too much. On everything. We had ribs, pulled pork, mac n cheese, and stuffed baked potato salad. All were overwhelmingly peppery. Other flavorings - dry rub on ribs, sauces on table - would have been enjoyable, had there been less black pepper! One other detail: The potato salad was served hot, more like a ranch dressing potato casserole. No discernible bits of bacon, cheese or chives like you'd expect in a potato salad of this name. Just warm potato slices drenched in ranch with no notes of sour cream, either. Such potential, please don't waste it!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Exton, PA
“I don't even like meat...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I hit this place because of the reviews on the road from PA to FL, and I'm glad I did! Delicious, and not at all greasy! I got ribs, brisket, and chicken bog on the 3 meat platter. I ate the ribs, mad took the rest with me for dinner. The spicy beans were awesome! In general, I'm not a red meat eater, but this place is awesome, and so are the people who work there. I wish them well.

1 Thank bimmerfun
“Worth the few miles off the Interstate.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our way to Myrtle Beach. I searched TripAdvisor for local restaurants in Florence and found Wholly's Smokin BBQ. I have been wanting brisket and this place fit the bill.

My husband ordered ribs and brisket with 2 sides. The ribs had a dry rub that we both thought was really good. The brisket was so tender you could cut with a fork and delicious. We both ordered the loaded baked potato salad that was AMAZING and contemplated getting some to go. The spicy baked beans were good but too hot (temperature wise) to eat so I filled up before I could get a chance to eat them.

I was expecting a little different atmosphere with waitresses and more of a restaurant feel. It's in a strip plaza with other businesses so it reminded me more of a sandwich deli. You order and pick up your food at the counter then find a table. It's a little different concept but the service was fast. It wouldn't deter me from going back. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for good BBQ.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Ohio
“Be ready to eat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Big portions with a price to match. Ribs are rubbed and a bit dry for my likings. Brisket cuts with a fork. Pork pretty good. All in all lacked flavor and choices of sauces for my likings. Loved the beans and slaw. For the price it would of been nice to see the employees come out to the tables and check on you instead of staying behind the counter.

Pennsylvania
“Great bbq place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We ate here for dinner on our overnight stop in Florence. This was a great place. It took us a long time to drive there and we were worried we wouldn't make it because they close at 8:00pm. Hit a lot of traffic coming from PA. But this place was great. Reasonable with great food. Pulled pork and brisket were both delicious. The warm potato salad and creamy coleslaw were also great. The owner came around to talk to see how everything was. A really nice touch. Located in a strip mall but very nice inside. Would definitley recommend.

• Visited August 2013