“For Florence this was pretty good”

Chutnee Fine Indian Cuisine & Bar
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: best Indian available in the area
Fairfax, Virginia
“For Florence this was pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I continue on my quest to find a good restaurant in Florence when my husband and I make our trip from Virginia to Florida. It's not really fair to compare this to the caliber of Indian food that we can find at our restaurants in Northern Virginia, but it is decent, and the naan was excellent. Prices are very reasonable. The wait staff does go a bit overboard asking every 5 minutes if everything is okay or if you need anything else. (And then when I said that I did need something else and could she please bring me a glass of water, she forgot.) I was also told that I could not get any salad dressing to put on my salad. In all fairness, the owner did come over and tell me that he was sorry about that and that next time I came, there would be dressing offered. BUT he then went on to berate the waitress right in front of us. He should have taken her aside, out of our hearing, to correct her.

I am really not sure whether I would go back to this restaurant again. I keep hoping we will find a little gem on our trips up and down I-95, so we will keep looking. If nothing better comes along, we will come back to Chutnee.

• Visited May 2013

Cheraw, South Carolina
“Indian Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Actually this is my first experience with Indian food. I had the buffet for lunch. The price was reasonable and the food was ok. I don't think I will be going back again though. I don't think that Indian food is my thing because of the seasoning. I like hot but not the flavors.
Anyway try it for yourself.

• Visited April 2013
Florence, South Carolina
“Great Indian Food, Super Helpful Waitstaff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a great little Indian restaurant. The prices are reasonable, and every dish we've had has been prepared well. This is also a great place to take people who are new to Indian food. They offer a buffet during lunch hours, and the restaurant owners are genuinely happy to help out, explain the buffet offerings, spices used etc. The buffet is a perfect way to introduce people to the many wonderful dishes prepared.
When ordering from the menu, they will make any dish as spicy (hot) as you like. I do like spicy food, but my recommendation would be to try new dishes on the mild to medium side. If you ask for a dish to be on the spicy side, it may be hotter than you would expect.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Mark S
Dallas, TX
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am Indian and I traveled to Florence, SC for a week on business. This restaurant is awesome. I got the chicken tikka masala with rice and naan and completely killed whatever food that came in front of me lol. If you like Indian food and/or like to explore different foods and have yet to try this food then I TOTALLY recommend this place. I had such low expectations coming in since I didn't know how this place would be in a small town but this restaurant rivals any other Indian restaurants in the country. This is coming from a frequent and avid traveler and have eaten at Indian restaurants all over the world.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank brownspare
Florence, South Carolina
“Great Indian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have eaten here several times both from the lunch buffet and from the supper menu and have never had a bad meal. The buffet is not large but it has nice offerings for lunch and is a great way to try several kinds of dishes. I have ordered several meals off the menu and have enjoyed all of them. The garlic chill naan is great but should be avoided if you do not like spicy bread. The staff is very friendly (sometimes a little overly friendly) but you not have to worry about your cup being empty or running out of anything. It is not the cheapest place to eat in town but it is unique and very good. The food is also not what I would generally consider overly hot or spicy. The buffet changes daily and besides the tandoori chicken and the chicken tikka masala, the selections have been different every time I have had lunch there. Definitely one of my favorite places to eat.

• Visited November 2012