“To call the room a suite is a joke”

SpringHill Suites Florence
Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We needed a suite to stay at because we have triplet 2-year-olds that should sleep in a separate room. This "suite" this is no more than a regular room with half a wall in a it with a microwave, sink, and bar fridge on the other side. Such a joke, only we weren't laughing. They do have a pool and hot tub, though the pool is small and the hot tub was in desperate need of cleaning.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
SpringHillFlorenceSC, Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

We would like to start by thanking you for choosing our property for your recent trip through Florence, SC. We appreciate your feed back and understand that you thought you were receiving a different room configuration. We would like to apologize if you felt mislead and for any inconvenience this misunderstanding caused you and your family.

Here at SpringHill Suites we offer two different types of studio suites. Each room features a king sized bed or two double beds. The sleeping area and sitting area are separated by a partial partition. The sitting area consists of a mini fridge, microwave, sink and prep area. This area also has a pull-out sleeper sofa. The Television is positioned in-between the partition so that the TV can be turned either towards the bedroom area or the sitting area.

Lastly, upon receiving your comment concerning our spa, we did perform the necessary cleaning. We are currently investigating the spa and pool products that we use to ensure that they are of the highest quality and that they are performing their intended function.

Again, we rely on feedback from our past guests to meet the needs of future guests. We appreciate your business and invite you to contact the hotel if ever passing through again. We would like the opportunity to help you find accommodations that best meet your family’s needs.

SpringHill Suites Management

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Florence

Reviewed July 2, 2010

Checked in late at night (11:15pm) traveling back from Orlando. The room had a terrible musty smell and was damp - so bad that we could not sleep well. The sheets felt wet. The check out ticket under the door in the morning was also damp. The only reason we did not ask for a room change was because our exhausted 2 year old was sleeping and we did not want to wake him up. In the morning we did complain to the front desk and the response was "oh sorry." Now that is customer service for you ; (
On the positive the room was spacious and had nice decorations. Will stay at Holiday Inn and Suites next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
SpringHillFlorenceSC, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2010

Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites by Marriott in Florence, SC for your stay. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for your unpleasant experience. We are always looking to improve the property to make our guests more comfortable.

I apologize for the lack of customer service you received and have no excuse to offer you. We have a customer service training program, called “Celebrating Service.” All of our associates are required to complete the program within 14 days of hire. At the first of the year, we will be doing a refresher of this training with all of our associates. We are training our associates to respond to guest concerns in a professional manner and to make sure every guest walks out satisfied and well rested. We are also looking forward to our hotel being renovated in the near future. We evaluate our rooms on a daily basis for cleanliness and condition. The fact that you received a room that was in poor condition is unacceptable and I apologize for the inconvenience.

We have recently undergone some restructuring of our management team. We hope you choose our property in the future allowing us another chance for the opportunity to provide you with a more comfortable and satisfying stay.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

I stayed at the Springhill suites for 2 weeks. I was working night shift notified the front desk of my shift. I was told that I had to put a request into housekeeping and it might not happen. The next day while I was sleeping, housekeeping tried 3 times to get in despite the do not disturb sign, the last time she was kicking the door. I called the manager and she said that I never put a request in and stated her employees would not lie. The room was never vacummed, sheets were never changed, towels were changed daily, except when the night housekeeper was off, i would get a pile of towels thrown on the floor. I do not recommend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

To begin, we would like to tell you how much we appreciate your business. We apologize that your experience was less than pleasurable. Some of us are night shift workers ourselves. We understand that it must have been frustrating to not have your daily cleaning needs met. We go to great lengths to ensure that each guest’s special requests are met if possible. To blatantly ignore a service request is the exact opposite of the customer service that we strive to provide here at the SpringHill Suites, Florence.

We would like to take a moment here and note that we have recently undergone some restructuring of our management team. We invite you to visit our property again and give us the opportunity to provide the excellent service that every guest is entitled to.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I had the misfortune to stay here in early January, 2010. This was the final night on our two week vacation. After driving from Orlando and pulling in late I was looking forward to the normal Marriott standards. I received the exact opposite. The Night Auditor was rude and useless. The next morning I went to speak to the desk about it and wanted to speak to the manager. Unfornately the girl working the desk was also the assistant general manager. She was rude from the get go. She wouldn't discuss my rate misquote at all with me. I told her about the cleanliness or lack of sanitation in my rooms. My fiancee and I got in late and immediately went to bed. The next morning, I found sand in my sheets( at least I hope it was sand) and went to go use the sink to brush my teeth and found long black hair. My fiancee and I are both blond haired. Hair was also found in shower and on shower curtain.

Breakfast was barely palatable. I would be very hesistant to recommend this hotel to anyone.
STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katrina K

Thank you very much for your comments concerning your most recent visit at the Florence, SpringHill Suites by Marriott. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.com. Your comments concerning your visit in January, 2010 were very helpful.

At SpringHill Suites we have adopted a customer service training program called “Celebrating Service” that includes 20 service essentials. Service Essential number 9 is “I respond positively to guest request.” Our training focuses on finding creative ways to meet guest needs. We understand that you weren’t heard, and your situation was handled completely unprofessionally. We were extremely sorry to hear about the poor level of service that you received. We will not offer an excuse for the treatment that you received; however, we extend a promise that future visits to our property will not end in misfortune.

We would like to take a moment here and note that we have recently undergone some restructuring of our management team. We invite you to revisit our property and give us the opportunity to provide the excellent customer service that every guest is entitled to.

Reviewed February 10, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice over the past few months when visiting friends who recently moved to Florence. It is clean, quiet, and the staff is friendly. I chose this property out of the three Marriott properties that are in a row next to each other because it includes a free breakfast. I plan to stay here again in March. This is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We are from NY and stayed here for 3 days. There was a huge kids swim team staying at the same time, which bugged me at first, especially the first time we entered the breakfast area. But the kids were under control, and very polite and well supervised. We didnt have a problem with them the whole time! After reading the last review, its troubling to hear that they were treated so bad. But As a person of color, with a white wife, I can say we were treated well by everyone from management, to the housekeepers. I would definitely stay here again, and reccomend it to others!

PS- Room was very nice, and roomy!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I have stayed at numerous Marriots and this is my family second stay at the hotel. It is located in a great area and has been a welcome, familiar stop. Unfortunately the quality of service and treatment for all people has begun to suffer . My mother who is a retired school teacher at the age of 60 who was accompanied by my honor roll neice and her mother 38 yrs of age were spoke to in an inappropiate manner and the front desk associate stated to them we dont have parties at our hotel and stated to them do you understand in such a condescending manner and she was very rude in checking them in so that an african american front desk associate gasped. I spoke to the manager to explain what happened and she defended her staff member. How terrible!! Instead of using that moment as a coaching opportunity around diversity she pushed back and act as if her associate was in the right. I can tell you all hotels are not like this one in Florence. If you want quality service and fair balanced treatment for all, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank pridekd
SpringHillFlorenceSC, Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2010

Thank you very much for your comments concerning your recent visit to our SpringHill Suites in Florence, SC. We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to inform us about your stay. We were extremely sorry to hear about the problems that you and your family experienced while visiting with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor level of customer service that you received.

We would like to take a moment here and note that we have recently undergone some restructuring of our management team. We have taken your comments and used them as coaching tools in our daily celebrating service meetings. Our celebrating service training is comprised of 20 service basics. Service basic number four is “I show respect for guest and associates,” and your experience was a shining example of why it is essential for us to treat every guest with a high level of respect. We invite you to visit our property again and give us the opportunity to provide the excellent service that every guest is entitled to.