“Great hotel and a low carb breakfast!”

SpringHill Suites Florence
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Florence
South Riding, Virginia, United States
“Great hotel and a low carb breakfast!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I drive up and down the I-95 corridor often and, eventually, we'll probably stay at every Marriott property along the way. (Since I'm a Marriott Gold Elite member, I am highly motivated to stay only at Marriott properties.) Last night, we stayed at this one, and I just can't say enough nice things about this hotel. It is conveniently located right off I-95 and not difficult to find. The desk associate greeted us promptly and cheerfully. Our room was ready, and my requested newspaper was waiting on the desk in the room. Like all Springhill Suites, there was a tidy little kitchen, a spacious living and sleeping area, and they even had supplied the extra pillows and towels I had requested. Everything in the room was in perfect working order, and the air conditioner was efficient and quiet. The hotel is very close to several popular chain restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Outback, etc.) which is a real plus after a long day of driving. And then there was the breakfast bar this morning. Wow! I like low-carb options, and this is the best (yes, really the best) breakfast selection I've ever found in a breakfast bar. There was the usual breakfast stuff (cereals, pastries, oatmeal, etc.), of course, and it looked very tasty, but there was also a great selection of cold meat, eggs, and cheese. In addition to the usual scrambled eggs and, in this case, Canadian bacon for a hot breakfast, there was a tray of cold deli ham, two kinds of cheese, boiled eggs, and plenty of strawberries. I could not have been happier! Everything about this overnight stay was great, and I recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillFlorenceSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Wow! Thank you for such a great review of our property! We are so glad you were greeted with a smile and that your special requests were met! It's the little touches that we believe can make a good stay great! We are blessed to enjoy a fantastic location close to I-95 and I-20 with plenty of shopping and restaurants in the area. We are also so pleased you like the SpringHill Suites breakfast package. The breakfast was redone last summer to feature a greater selection of healthy options for our discerning Guests and the menu items are delicious! Thank you again and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Rion McAllister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
St. George Island, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and hope to do so again. We have always found the staff to be great - on one occasion when they were full (I will always get a reservation now), the hostess spent 20 minutes calling other hotels that she could recommend to find us a room.The rooms are very clean, attractive and well designed for privacy and the occasional meal in, and the little store by the front desk has food if you don't feel like going out or ordering out. There is a veteran's park behind the hotel that provides a nice place for a little stroll and the usual assortment of restaurants nearby, some within walking distance. the complimentary breakfast is very complete and good - hot and cold items. Try the waffles. We have not used the pool, but it is there if you want to take a dip. Rates are not cheap but not very expensive either, and we feel that the comfort provided by this little oasis from Rte. 95 is well worth it.

Room Tip: rear rooms are quieter and some have a park view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SpringHillFlorenceSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review! So glad that the service provided by our Front Desk and the selections available for Breakfast were satisfactory. We hope that you will continue to stay with for all of your travel to our area!

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

My family stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the area. We thought the hotel looked new and the room was clean, but once we started interacting with some of the staff things went downhill. We came downstairs with about 10 minutes left for their free breakfast only to experience a rude employee putting food away while people were still in line. I asked about the time (since my phone said 9:27) and was told the only time that mattered was her watch. My wife later told me she was waiting in line for waffles, and the woman took the batter out while she was in line. After leaving the hotel at 11:30 and returning at 3:45, we returned to a room that had not been cleaned and a housekeeper asking if we needed anything for the day. She offered towels, and since we didn't want to wait for our room, we just took them. Admittedly, we didn't bring this up with management but I assumed this was normal for the place and there wasn't much to be gained by doing so. Considering all the other positive reviews, maybe we just had the bad fortune of running into a couple of their worst employees.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SpringHillFlorenceSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
We very much appreciate your choosing our SpringHill Suites for your stay in the Florence area. I am very pleased that you found your Guest Room in great, clean condition. However, I was saddened to hear that you may have received less than perfect service during your time with us. We strive to provide nothing but the best for each of our Guests and rely heavily on feedback to improve what we do. I would invite and request that you contact me directly so we can have the opportunity to learn from your experience so we can address our mistakes to prevent their reoccurrence in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you more on the matter.

Rion McAllister, General Manager
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to the beach. We reserved a room and got a great price online. We were pleasantly surprised at just how nice this hotel was. The room was very comfortable and decorated nicely. The only things I didn't care for was the mat in the bathtub and there is very little seating at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014
We love it when our Guests are pleasantly surprised and are so glad that you were! Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night. Check-in was smooth and front desk person friendly. We are Marriott Gold members and were upgraded to a King suite. Lobby is modern and clean. Our room was clean and quiet. Wireless internet service was choppy. The only issues with the room was the shower was small and the shower head did not provide a good spray. Some of the shower tile had bleach stains on them and the tub was re-caulked not well. The exercise was small but nice and clean, the treadmill was top of the line. Nice rack of dumbbells. Good location off I95 in a nice group of Marriott properties. Free breakfast buffet was average with a friendly server. Recommended property.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you so much for providing such great feedback! We are so pleased that you enjoyed a clean and quite stay with us. Thank you also for your kind words concerning our staff! We are very lucky to have such an amazing team here at our SpringHill Suites and we are glad that they served you well. Thank you also on your comments concerning our shower caulk, tile and internet service. We will look into that situation and correct what we can for future patrons. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your comments further. Happy Travels!

Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We have stayed here many times in the past 10 years; it's located so conveniently, just off I 20 and I 95. It's always been great, great staff, super accommodations, lovely amenities. This recent visit, though, was stunning: they have upgraded everything: rooms, work areas, breakfast area, and it's all remarkable! We stay here all the time, as a convenient place between Georgia and DC. Maybe next time, we'll just make it a destination! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: We love Rooms 101 and 100. Very quiet and very accessible to our car. But I suspect they are ALL goo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so thankful to have such loyal Guests and we are so pleased you have enjoyed the results from our most recent renovation! We look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My Wife And I Had No Idea This Place Was Going To Be This Wonderful Inside And Out. We Stayed During The Weekend Of The 4th And When I Say A Great Place To Stay I Would Not Be Lying To You At All. From The Front Desk To The Whole Entire Hotel Staff Everything Was Great And From Now On We Are Sold Onto This Place Every Year.

• Stayed July 2014
SpringHillFlorenceSC, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Florence, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We are so very happy that you enjoyed our property! Please stop back by next year. We would love the opportunity to serve you again!

Rion McAllister, General Manager