“Bad choice”

Econo Lodge Florence
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We decided to break up the drive to Myrtle Beach, and stayed here based on ok reviews. Bad decision! When we got here, we could see that it was frequented by sketchy clientele. We got a room on the corner of the bottom floor. When we opened the door, a musty odor hit us, and it was hot and humid in the room. We turned on the AC, and it helped somewhat. The bathroom vent system didn't work, so when we closed to door to keep our little infant son from crawling in there, it got a nasty odor. The ceiling above the toilet had peeling paint, and it looked pretty yucky. The front desk staff was very friendly, as were the breakfast staff. My boyfriend didn't sleep much, kept looking out at the car, to make sure it wasn't broken into. Next time, we would definitely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for sharing your commments on your recent stay. I do apologize for the conditions you recieved. I understand that you were traveling with your family and the room was not up to par.... again my apologies. At no time do we want to give anyone a poor stay, that is why we ask if you do not feel the room you have meets your needs please contact the desk so that we may move you. I am sorry that the first experience you had of Econo Lodge was a poor representation of the hotel. Please do not hold this against the hotel. The hotel has many rooms and many choices to choose from but if you do not tell us at the time of your stay that you are not satisfied with your accomodations then we can not meet or satisfy your needs. Thanks again for sharing and have a most enjoyable summer.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed on our way to Pawley's Island and just needed a place to put our heads. It's old, out-dated, dusty, and smelly. Before going to sleep, we didn't even want to sit in the rooms, so we pulled the table and chairs outside. Never again...I'd have paid twice the $55 to NOT stay here.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your commments on your recent stay. I do apologize for the conditions you recieved. I understand that your accomodations were not up to par, forgive me but I must ask upon walking into the room once it did not meet your needs why did you continue to stay in the room? . At no time do we want to give anyone a poor stay, that is why we ask if you do not feel the room you have meets your needs please contact the desk so that we may move you. I am sorry that the first experience you had of Econo Lodge was a poor representation of the hotel. Please do not hold this against the hotel. The hotel has many rooms and many choices to choose from but if you do not tell us at the time of your stay that you are not satisfied with your accomodations then we can not meet or satisfy your needs. Our guest are are singular most important concern, they tell us what we are doing right, wrong and how we can improve. Thanks again for sharing and have a most enjoyable summer.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here one night on our way to the Outer Banks. My impressions of this place were mainly positive. The desk clerk was friendly. The room was outdated and did need to be aired out. Smelled of cigarette smoke, possibly, however...we paid $42 for this room and the bed was comfy, room had a nice TV (not plasma) and a clean bathroom. It looked like to me that the management cared about the place and was trying to clean up it's act. Workers were seen cleaning carpets and windows. The outdoor pool was clean. The marked jogging route around the motel was nice, and it had a fitness room. Very convenient to several restaurants and it had your basic, complimentary breakfast menu. Bottom line, if you are looking for luxury, this is not your place. If you need a short, economical stopover, this works. We would stay here again, especially for a short stay. To the management, keep up the good work. You are almost there........

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Econolodge Florence, we appreciate your business. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay. We strive everyday to be the best in our industry so we really appreciate your views and incite on your stay. They tell us what we are doing right, wrong and how we can improve. Thanks again for sharing and have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We arrived to check in and were given room keys to a room that had not been completed yet. When I went back to the front desk, the lady was very apologetic and gave me keys to another room which was ready. This is an older hotel and it shows in some areas. Cost for the room is very affordable. Fridge and microwave in the room and both worked. Beds were comfortable. There was a dead bug that had been squashed and was still stuck on the wall and a dead bug in the bathroom corner, but we didn't see any live bugs. Didn't use the Wi-Fi, so can't comment. Did not try the continental breakfast, got on the road instead.This hotel is next to the interstate and I mean directly next to it. Road noise was definitely heard in the room. There are 21 pet friendly hotels in the Florence area, so I would probably try another next time, but would not be totally adverse to staying here again if I had to.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us, we do value your feedback. We are glad that out of all the hotels listed on hwy. 52 you chose our hotel to host your overnight accommodations. Unfortunately, your first impression of the hotel was tarnished at check-in. Our hotel has been undergoing some changes in the past couple of months and unfortunately the day you checked in our system malfunctioned and you were checked into a dirty room. I apologize for that error and for the dead bug. Dead bugs are not typical at our hotel, however, just days before we had the rooms exterminated for our monthly service agreement. Thank you for sharing your experience we do value and appreciate your comments. I know you said you would probably think on staying with someone else next time, but I hope you will give us a chance to meet and exceed your needs.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

stayed 3 nights 4 days clean room micro, fridge, internet all worked. enjoyed our stay. staff was especially nice, would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Its an older hotel, but clean and comfortable. Spent all day at the race, it was a good place to come back to.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us during NASCAR's Southern 500 we do appreciate your kind words. We strive very hard to meet the needs of all our guest so it is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks again for staying with the Econolodge Florence, I hope we will have the opportunity to meet your needs next year.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I wanted the share my experience with Econolodge in Florence, SC, because if I had an employee behaving this way I would fire them.... I do have a choice card, I don't use it too much because I am a Marriott gold member (actually two nights short of platinum last year) ... I travel a LOT. I was driving to Florida for spring break (because I am missing business travel and a couple appts on the way back) and didn't make reservations in advance. all the marriotts were full... since I do have a choice card and econolodge was advertising 40.00, we were trying to call ahead to the florence econolodge to get a room. the lady first didn't answer the phone and when she did said "travel inn"... no idea if this was a problem with the gps phone number or not, but when she did she said "travelinn"... then I tried information for econolodge in florence, NC ... no listing. My daughter tried calling as well, same issue lady was impossible to understand and hung up on her (my daughter is 18). finally we decided just to stop by since there were a lot of hotels off that exit and had been advised by marriott to try that exit. I am an overweight white female in my late 40's. I stood outside the door while the also female employee (an extremely overweight black female with greying hair) talked on the phone with a guest... sounded like she was arguing with him.. she did not buzz me in while I stood at the glass door or in anyway even acknowledge I was there.. finally, in frustration after about 7-8 minutes of such treatment I hit the buzzer. She yells at me “I am on the phone with a guest”; I ask “could you just tell me if you have any rooms”; she yells back, more irritated “I will talk to you when I am finished with this guest”. It was 5 am in the morning; I had been driving all night. All I wanted was a 10 second reply, yes we have rooms or no we don’t. We left and went to the Sleep Inn down the room, who answered their phones nicely, answered their door, and were quite pleasant.
Unbelievable. I tried to send this story to Econolodge, but it wouldn’t fit on their website. And this, folks, is why I stay at Marriotts almost exclusively…. Where regardless of the location or the time, they are always nice…

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments about your most recent experience. I do apologize for the rude behavior you were subjected to, this kind of behavior is not tolerated at our facility, and if it was a staff memeber from our hotel I will definetly speak to them about this incident.

Usually all guest that come to stay have rave reviews about the treatment they recieve from our employees so to say I am shocked and appalled would be an understatement. I am hoping that it was the Travel Inn that you actually arrived at because from your statement you say that the lady answered the phone Travel Inn... Travel Inn used to be the Econo Lodge but has recently changed to the Travel Inn. Some of the listings and directions still lead our guest to them so in any case I apologize to you for the treatment you were forced to endure and I hope you will not hold this against us.

Please give us the chance to show you that we value our guest just as much as Marriott properties value their guest.