“unbelievably rude employee”

Econo Lodge Florence
Ranked #28 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I wanted the share my experience with Econolodge in Florence, SC, because if I had an employee behaving this way I would fire them.... I do have a choice card, I don't use it too much because I am a Marriott gold member (actually two nights short of platinum last year) ... I travel a LOT. I was driving to Florida for spring break (because I am missing business travel and a couple appts on the way back) and didn't make reservations in advance. all the marriotts were full... since I do have a choice card and econolodge was advertising 40.00, we were trying to call ahead to the florence econolodge to get a room. the lady first didn't answer the phone and when she did said "travel inn"... no idea if this was a problem with the gps phone number or not, but when she did she said "travelinn"... then I tried information for econolodge in florence, NC ... no listing. My daughter tried calling as well, same issue lady was impossible to understand and hung up on her (my daughter is 18). finally we decided just to stop by since there were a lot of hotels off that exit and had been advised by marriott to try that exit. I am an overweight white female in my late 40's. I stood outside the door while the also female employee (an extremely overweight black female with greying hair) talked on the phone with a guest... sounded like she was arguing with him.. she did not buzz me in while I stood at the glass door or in anyway even acknowledge I was there.. finally, in frustration after about 7-8 minutes of such treatment I hit the buzzer. She yells at me “I am on the phone with a guest”; I ask “could you just tell me if you have any rooms”; she yells back, more irritated “I will talk to you when I am finished with this guest”. It was 5 am in the morning; I had been driving all night. All I wanted was a 10 second reply, yes we have rooms or no we don’t. We left and went to the Sleep Inn down the room, who answered their phones nicely, answered their door, and were quite pleasant.
Unbelievable. I tried to send this story to Econolodge, but it wouldn’t fit on their website. And this, folks, is why I stay at Marriotts almost exclusively…. Where regardless of the location or the time, they are always nice…

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments about your most recent experience. I do apologize for the rude behavior you were subjected to, this kind of behavior is not tolerated at our facility, and if it was a staff memeber from our hotel I will definetly speak to them about this incident.

Usually all guest that come to stay have rave reviews about the treatment they recieve from our employees so to say I am shocked and appalled would be an understatement. I am hoping that it was the Travel Inn that you actually arrived at because from your statement you say that the lady answered the phone Travel Inn... Travel Inn used to be the Econo Lodge but has recently changed to the Travel Inn. Some of the listings and directions still lead our guest to them so in any case I apologize to you for the treatment you were forced to endure and I hope you will not hold this against us.

Please give us the chance to show you that we value our guest just as much as Marriott properties value their guest.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was very pleased with the service and the cleanliness of the room. I was able to check in early, staff was very accommodating. Pet friendly. Clean rooms, comfortable bed! Great price as well. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Sharonda H, Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your most recent stay at the Econolodge, Florence, we appreciate your business. Through your experience we are able to see what or where we need to make improvements in the services we provide. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Until next time have a safe and happy summer.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Best hotel I've stayed at for a very long time. When I arrived there the power was out. When the power came back on there were about ten parties waiting to check in. It was done seamlessly. The room I was initially placed in was not in a location that suited me. I asked to be moved and they put me in a room that was perfect spot for me - nice and quiet. The desk clerk, maintenance, housekeeping and manager all gave impeccable service. I can not stress enough how helpful everyone was. My thanks to all of them for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with the Econolodge, Florence. We greatly appreciate your comments. The hospitality industry does not come without its challenges so we appreciate you taking notice of our efforts. The night of your stay we had many challenges to face and to hear they were accomplished seamlessly..... is in a word rewarding. Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to the next time we can provide for your overnight needs. Have a safe and happy summer.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed here based on the reviews of others. This hotel is right next to a Quincy's Steakhouse and plenty of other food. A little tricky to get to, as theres the main road, then a service road, separated by train tracks. Check in was smooth, but I noticed after midnight, nobody seems to be in the lobby. I also saw they have a security officer walking the property at night. This hotel is right next door to 2 other hotels. My room was very clean. Bathroom is very small, and the shower isnt very good. Water was hot, but the water pressure wasnt there, and the shower head is about 5 foot 9 inches tall, and im 5'11, didnt work so well. TV has over 60 channels, but no speed channel (yet your 10 miles from Darlington Speedway). Wifi was strange, as the directions they give arent the right ones. The wifi is actually named "Quality Inn". Was a bit slow at first but got better as the evening wore on. Bed was comfortable, and the heat worked well. The one thing I dislike about older motels, is when you walk out your door, your at the parking lot. Someone had their music up loud in the morning, so I didnt even need my alarm clock to wake me up! Breakfast ends way to early (10am) but thats probably because they have a early checkout of 11am. The lady who checked me in at 11pm the previous night was the same lady that checked me out at 11am the next day, is she a robot? If you want a clean and cheap room, this is it. If you want a good shower or a really relaxing stay, this isnt it. They also will automatically charge you for the safe, be sure to tell them you didnt use it (I dont think they like that).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Sharonda H, General Manager at Econo Lodge Florence, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Thank you for staying and sharing your views of our hotel. We appreciate your comments... good or bad they tell us where we are in the eyes of our guest and what we can do to improve... Through your vision and experience it tells us what needs to change in order for us to achieve excellence in all we do. I do appreciate your business and your comments and I hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in Florence. If you are able to go on the second floor please ask for a room on the second floor in the back I think this will be more to your liking.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here on our way to Columbia. The whole building smelled like stale cigarettes. The coffee pot in the room did not work at all. Once we got in bed we did not go to sleep until around 2am due to noise in the hallway. There were people running up and down the hall around midnight to 1am cussing and slamming doors. Sounded like about 6 young people. Was afraid they were going to start trying to get into rooms. We did not feel safe at all! Will never stay there again and would not recommend.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing our hotel to host your stay. I am very sorry to hear that you did not nor did your family have an enjoyable stay. Our main goal is to take care of each and everyone of our guest once we become informed something is wrong we strive to remedy that problem.... From your comments it does not sound as if you contacted the desk about any of your issues... If we do not know there is a problem we can not correct the situation. If you had called we could have changed your room and even your building because we have four buildings or if you had called we could have gotten rid of the noise..... I like to thank you for sharing and making me aware of your disappointing stay and I hope you will not hold this against us and give us another chance to prove we care about each and everyone of our guest.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Very clean room. Quiet. Separate bathroom. Spacious
Only 2 criticisms: an older Tv & it was hard to regulate the room temperature. Pleasant desk staff.

• Stayed: January 2012

Thank you for choosing to allow us to provide your overnight needs. We appreciate your business. We value all comments good or bad they tell us what we are doing right, wrong and how we can improve. Thanks again for sharing and I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Florence. Until next time.... Happy Travels.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by our stay on New Year's Eve. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and well furnished and the breakfast was good. We stayed in a Baltimore Econo Lodge a few months ago and it was a similar experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple