“Right joint, wrong picture”

Lamplighter Restaurant
Ranked #81 of 257 Restaurants in Florence
Olanta, South Carolina
“Right joint, wrong picture”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I eat here often, usually 4-5 times a month. I'm never disappointed with quality of choices. The wait staff is a bit jaded, they don't often bring a menu. If you're persistent, they will come around. Just be prepared, the waitress will always ask, "do you know what you want?" first! Breakfast is great, the grits are consistently creamy. Any place I can get a grilled pork chop with my eggs is a winner.

I don't know where the picture on the main page is, but it's not this venue.

I like it that this guy is Greek, so some of his heritage comes through in the decor and menu. I have pitas stuffed with Greek-style meat and homemade tzatziki occasionally. His pork tips are seasoned Greek-style as a special on certain days. There's a board behind the cash register with a myriad of rotating specials for daily variety and regular add-ons to the menu.

SPOILER ALERT! The parking lot is limited and in bad repair. Go slow, and park in the area that adjoins the motel next door.

• Visited July 2013

“Great Southern diner. Best in the area.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I am in Florence, SC for a while and a local friend told me about this place. I had been to other area diners but I chose this place as the best in the area for: quality of food, service, consistency, and definitely value for the money. I paid twice as much for the same breakfast at another diner not far from there.
Once I move back up north (only here temporarily)--- I will really miss this place. It is a locals hang out and everyone knows each other but felt so welcomed here that I blended right in. Love this place!!!

1 Thank finallymercedes
Manning, SC 29102
“menu”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Years ago I enjoyed going to breakfast with friends and my sister. One of my friends and I would sit at a different table because we would order brains and eggs. We thouroughly enjoyed our breakfast despite the prudes with us.

I hope they keep the variety on their menu.

Waldo Beck
Manning, SC

• Visited April 2012
Olanta, South Carolina
“Good consistent breakfast, nice lunch with good specials daily”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I eat here once a month, sometimes more often. I've discovered that getting the pork chop with eggs and their wonderful grits makes me happy. I live 25 miles away, so I start my day of errands with breakfast here. I, many times, visit here while my car is in the shop nearby. They have an extensive breakfast fare including eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, corned beef hash, biscuits, white, whole wheat and rye toast, grits, home fries, pancakes and waffles--if you can't find something to order, you're not hungry!

Once I dropped in at lunch time to find they had a pita special on the lunch menu. It was so good, I was thrilled. It reminded me of the gyros I used to eat at fests and street stands in Germany. Wow, this guy can really make good tzatziki! There's all the usual country cooking most Southerners want, meats 'n veggies, sandwiches, chicken salad, burgers. Again, if you can't find something that appeals, you're NOT hungry.

This owner is a Greek immigrant and has his full compliment of buddies who sit and kibbutz in Greek as they schmooze away the mornings. The bus boys will bring you your drink and alert the waitress to your table. There's usually a dozen or so daily newspapers to share with this continually busy little eatery. The waitresses usually give it to you like you say you want it, even if that's not the usual way it's served. There's nothing not to love about this place.

I'm glad I found this place, by trial and error, a few years ago. My out of town visitors are never disappointed. It's not exotic, it's just simple and consistently good food. There's a steady flow of people of all ages and stages--they all seem to be regulars--there's, sometimes, a shortage of parking. It's hard to spend $10 per person, too.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Euro-lust
Malibu, California
“best breakfast in town.”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

great grits, terrific fried biscuits. what keeps me coming back? the service. the wait staff enjoys what they do, and the head cook comes out to make sure everything is okay.

Visited August 2012