“Best hotel at Exit 157, I-95”

Florence Inns & Suites
Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We make frequent trips FL to NJ, and this is the perfect overnight place.
Friendly, helpful staff, clean rooms with fridge and Microwave, and nice breakfast served early. This older property has had good updating of furniture, carpet and bedding. I would definitely recommend the Florence Inn for weary I-95 travelers. We have checked out all the competition at Exit 157, and this hotel is the winner!
Lynn from FL

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodney H, Manager at Florence Inns & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. We strive to make every guest feel at home. We think of you as our personal friend and not just another guest. We will continue to do our best to provide comfortable lodging for our traveling friends. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Recently stayed as a quick overnight stop. We checked in at after 1AM and the front desk clerk was very friendly. We were in room 120 with two queen beds, as requested at check-in. There were folks on either side but I believe there was an empty room in between on each side. I don't believe anyone was upstairs. Very quiet. We were not the first ones to leave in the morning but we weren't bothered by noises of anyone else leaving. The a/c unit looked very new, buttons still had the brand new look, no gunk on the grills. We always check the mattresses in every hotel (regardless of hotel class). Both were so clean they also looked new. Mattresses and pillows were comfortable. TV was small but flat screen. We did not turn it on. Telephone is one of the old school hotel styles. I wanted to change our wake up call and used the phone to call the desk. Clerk couldn't hear me so I ended up calling her from my cell phone. Not an issue and clerk was still very friendly but, felt it was worth noting here. Other than a small bar of cheap soap for the shower and a sliver (very very small bar) of soap for sink there were no toiletries (not that you should expect any for this price point). Was actually happy to see very small bars of soap since it feels so wasteful at other hotels. However, the quality of the soap isn't great. It works but you won't get a lot of lather out of it. Shower and toilet were clean. Towels were surprisingly nice. We went to the morning breakfast but ended up leaving after having a half cup of orange juice since nothing really appealed to us (hubby said coffee was really bad). If you were really counting on saving some money on breakfast I guess it would do the trick but we were much happier with coffee and oatmeal from mc d's across the street. Staying in a roadside stop is always risky (since you don't always know what you're gonna get) but I'm happy with our stay here (esp compared to the sketchier places the we looked at a few exits prior).

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for you recent review of our Hotel. We are happy that you found the room satisfactory. I do apologize for the size of the soaps in the room and I will check into getting a bigger size soap for the rooms. We hope that you were satisfied enough that you will stay with us again on your next trip through Florence,SC. See you soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I feel bad for reviewers who are probably mixing this place up with the other one in Florence. This one is just off I95 and it was very nice. Clean, comfortable - I think we got a suite (we took what was available with no reservation). It was a king sized bed with a fold-out couch and desk area. Very big, extremely comfortable and quiet. The kids complained that the pool was cloudy but that didn't stop them from playing in it! They do serve breakfast in the morning, and my only complaint is that seating is really limited. They have all the food you could ever want or need in the morning. There's no restaurant onsite, but there are tons of places nearby. Great stopover point from MD to FL!

Room Tip: Our room was the end of the hall opposite the pool on the first floor. Very quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

On a trip last week from southern Georgia to the eastern shores of Virginia, I'd tentatively planned to break my trip up with a stop in Florence, SC. Having not picked a hotel yet, I saw the signs advertising the HoJo and decided to pull off. I was given a non-smoking king room (room 105 or 108) which was fairly up-to-date. Other than some blown light bulbs, I was happy with the size of the room, the flatscreen tv and the digital thermostat on the AC unit. All was well. The billboard which prompted me to choose this hotel boated "deluxe breakfast". Deluxe breakfast consisted of coffee, 4 cereal choices, a tray of store-bought croissants, a tray of store-bought mini muffins and apples & bananas. Not exactly deluxe. My room rate of $58 + tax was great though. I spent Tuesday night, 7/2/13, in this room.

On the way back from Virginia Saturday, with my fiancee & son with me, I decided again that this HoJo would make for a suitable stop. Our weekend rate for a non-smoking double queen occupancy was higher, even with my fiancee's military discount ($62 + tax). This time we were assigned room 216. Room 216 was like stepping back into a bad 1980s hotel room. Not only was the room sweltering when we arrived at 10:30 at night, but the old clunky knob operated AC unit barely worked. I set it on it's coldest setting and an hour and a half later, we finally drifted off to dream with sweat pouring off us. This room didn't have a flat screen. The pillow cases were soiled. There was a dead roach on the vanity outside the bathroom door. Not good. The next morning we awoke to a room which had finally cooled off. With it being a weekend morning, I thought perhaps that breakfast would be a bit more deluxe. It wasn't. Exactly the same offerings as Wednesday morning. The creepers hanging around outside the hotel don't help either.

I would stay in this HoJo if I KNEW I'd be getting a room like #105 (or was it 108)...but I'll never stop there again for fear of getting room 216 or another similar. Stay clear of this establishment.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room 216
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adam O
Reviewed June 9, 2013

There are 2 Howard Johnsons in Florence, SC., this refers to the one at exit 157 on Rt 95.
The room was clean, comfortable and up to date. The staff were excellent. I have traveled often and stayed in rooms 1/2 as nice and paid twice as much. On our way out there were a few other doors open for cleaning that looked just as nice as the one we stayed in, #126.
I will drive a hour more or pull off a hour early to stay there.
We ate at Red Lobster, also excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Here I am on a long over do vacation. I decided to take a road trip from New York to Fort Lauderdale. I guess the old days of childhood memories going from interesting place to place and staying at the venerable Howard Johnsons is completely gone forever.
This motel was a discraceful mess and should not be serving the public. The room was very dirty and run down. There were cigarette burn hole in the bed spread, burns on the vanity, tub, toilet and furnture. The walls and doorn moldings were covered with dirt. The exterior doors and trim looked like a child spraypainted with a can. Brown overspray on all the tan walls. Garbage floating in the pool.It broke my heart to have such fond memories of such a woderfully famous vacation stop-over for myself (and I am sure many Americans) be trashed in such a horrable manner.
Shame on you Windam Group. Shame on you.

Room Tip: Choose another motel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The room and bathroom were clean and adequate. The hotel was nothing special but we experienced a clean place to lay our heads for a night. As advertised the breakfast was minimal but enough to get you started in the morning. The desk clerk was friendly during both check in and check out. The hotel was a good alternative to the higher priced hotels further north on I95. The hotels walls are very thin as we could hear our adjacent neighbors and the goings on in the parking lot. The outside grounds were OK but could use a sprucing up as the weather turns nicer. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family