“Stay away from the smoking rooms!”

Florence Inns & Suites
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My nephew and I stayed here overnight on our way home to Miami. I reserved a non-smoking room and was told upon arrival that none were available. I reluctantly accepted a smoking room. When we walked into the room, the cigarette stench was nearly unbearable. We stayed, however, hoping that our noses would get accustomed to the smell. The room was filthy and the lampshades were covered with dust. Within 10 minutes, my nephew was having a full blown asthma attack, and I was on my way to having one.

I called the front desk and they said they could move us to a non-smoking room, but that there were none available with 2 beds. We took a king size bed and a roll-away. The second room did not smell, although there was still an issue with dust. The roll-away was like sleeping in a hammock, so I had to place the mattress on the floor and sleep there. It was not very comfortable and I did not have a good night's sleep. I had to rely on caffeine the next day in order to drive the remainder of the way home without falling asleep at the wheel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The rooms were nasty, the carpet smelled like it never been shampooed. The characters walking around the parking lot made them feel unsafe. I asked to be moved inside and it wasn't any better, I had to clorox everything!! The staff was nice, but that was it! Breakfast was decent.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here last night with my dogs. Thumbs up because they accepted larger breeds. Mattress was comfortable. Room was spacious. Tub had a big crack on sill. Continental breakfast - take a pass and go across street to Waffle House.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel was just fine for the price. (<$70) The pool was nice. There was a HUGE 1 1/2" spider in our room, that I had to smash, but that added to our excitement for the evening, lol. Something like that can happen anywhere. It's only 1 1/2 hours from the beach, so it was a nice stopping place before getting our room the next day at Myrtle Beach! (which ran about $200+ a day at the beach)

Room Tip: It's not listed under Howard Johnsons---its listed under Howard Johnson EXPRESS Inn!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Free breakfast. spacious room, easy to get to rooms. We were satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed 14 nights and is not as bad as described on a lot of reviews. Okay is not an holiday Inn but price is not holiday inn either so what do you expect. Room was big enough and clean enough, reception personnel is very nice. They can do better with the swimming pool and with breakfast (very poor).
Good for the price we paid.

Room Tip: 204 was good for us. clean, no smoke smell or stains..
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My fiance and I stopped here on our way from NY/PA down to Florida. We checked in at an odd time (6 AM) and the woman at the front desk seemed unsettled by this. (I don't know why because the hotel is right off of I-95... I'm sure we can't be the first who have arrived at an unusual hour). Anyway, the front desk attendant made several odd comments and talked to herself loudly throughout the check-in process. It is hard to describe her behavior, but it was strange, to say the least. I'm not normally thrown off by eccentric people but she gave me the creeps.

Anyway, after leaving the front desk, we unpacked our cars and settled into our room. I took a shower and my fiance tried to sleep. The phone rang while I was in the shower and my fiance answered. It was the woman at the front desk. She asked how the room was and he thanked her, told her it was fine, and then tried to go to sleep again. A while later the phone rang again. I was out of the shower at this time. We didn't answer because we were trying to sleep. Shortly thereafter, the phone rang AGAIN. I answered and it was the woman from the front desk. She said she was on a portable phone and wanted to talk to us. Suddenly, she pounded on the door while on the phone with me! I was more creeped out at this point and asked that we be left undisturbed unless necessary so that we could sleep. Then the connection broke or else she hung up. A few minutes later the phone rang again. I answered and it was the woman from the front desk... again... asking us to change rooms. I responded that we were very tired, and would rather stay put unless it was necessary, and asked why we should change rooms. She didn't explain why she wanted us to move, she only mumbled some incoherent sentences and then hung up.

We checked out much earlier than planned later in the day. We had initially planned and payed to spend the night and leave the following morning... but based on the woman's behavior, had determined that either 1) something was wrong with the room or 2) something was wrong with the staff. If there was a legitimate reason for wanting us to switch rooms, she should have been forthcoming with that information... or else left us alone to sleep! Her behavior was erratic and unprofessional, and judging from the other reviews, not uncommon for this hotel. Stay away.... really, really creepy place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple