“Not too impressed”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Florence
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We had gotten a raving review from family members on the same chain in Savannah GA near the airport and we were coming from a funeral and were exhausted. So, We stayed here, same chain same quality! Not in this case.
We were offered a King Room that was supposed to be handicapped accessible. I should say it did have wider door frames for wheelchair access and was on the first floor, but for someone wanting to be independent the restroom was not very good, having worked in a part of the medical field that addressed worker comp patients in this area.
The restroom definitely needs a Evaluation by a reputable company to outfit is properly.
As far as our stay goes they had not extra pillows, the curtains were not dark enough and the media room chair I sat in was in sad state of disrepair.
All in all it was OK as a flop house but if the price were $30 cheaper a night. The front desk girl was not very personable and the breakfast the next morning was very bad, I over heard the woman stocking it " I had to work till 1130pm and then be here at 430 to set up and I have never done this before" so the coffee was completely out and apparently the hotel was under staffed with adequate personnel in my opinion. The whirlpool was out of order also, Direct TV was using the lot for their traveling crews and the Families and Elderly that were staying had to park in the far back of the hotel. Maybe something could be set up to get them (Healthy Hard Working men) to park in the rear of the Building as far back as possible and leave parking for the more vulnerable guests that maybe staying.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
rmurrow, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Florence, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I would like to apologize for the inadequacy of our hotel during your stay. Since receiving this review we have been keeping these issues in mind as we work to resolve them. We have recently come under new management and gained a better staff that can better meet our guests’ needs. We do hope to see you again on your next trip and have the opportunity to offer you a much better experience. I invite you to contact me directly if there is anything we can do to for you or if you would like to address any other issues or concerns you may have.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

The hotel was ok to stay at for one night. It was clean. The breakfast was fair. They did have a fitness center but the equipment was disappointing. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I'm sorry that my hotel fell short of your expectations. We have addressed the issues you have listed and we do hope you will stop in again and give us the opportunity to offer you a much better experience.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

We arrived early am on our way home from florida as half way point to boston. We were first given a key to an occupied room. After about 20 min we finally got settled into a room.

Room had a big king sized bed with down comforter. It also had a flat screen tv.

The phone did not work. The shower head was broken. The bathtub didn't really seem that clean. The shades weren't that good and ur room was illuminated by neon lights from surrounding hotels.

It was okay for a stay over. Most of the hotels around are pet friendly. This one was not so that was a plus.

• Stayed: January 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I am glad to hear you had some positive points of your stay, but I understand we did not fully meet your needs and I would like to sincerely apologize for that. Since receiving this review we have been keeping these issues in mind as we work to resolve them. We have recently come under new management and gained a better staff that can better meet our guests needs. We do hope to see you again on your next trip and have the opportunity to offer you a much better experience. I invite you to contact me directly if there is anything we can do to for you or if you would like to address any other issues or concerns you may have.

Reviewed January 13, 2011

Booked this place as a 2.5 star on XriceLine for 59...Checked in and everything seemed ok, then I got on the elevator...It felt like it was going to break down...scarey...get to the 3rd floor and was blown away by the disgusting smoke smell...then I got to the room and it got worse...filthy carpet, blood spot about 10 inches round ON THE BATHROOM TILE which had just been smudged with a towel...blood on bathroom walls....PUBES EVERYWHERE...Bathtub was so worn I wouldnt give it away to the trashman. The gym equipment was broken and unusable, appearantly the hot tub has been broken for years. The WIFI DID NOT WORK, and there was no wired internet access. The general manager was told about the wireless not working, and his solution is not to fix it, but pass the buck on to the customer. He told me to bring my laptop down to the front dest and use it there???? Are you kidding me. Luckily I picked up a signal from the hotel ACROSS THE PARKING LOT. Transient crackheads lurking around every corner making me very nervous. The only thing that wasnt either broken or gross and unkempt was the bed, had a nice sleep. Would not reccomend this place to my worst enemy. Wingate Im ashamed of you...take your franchise name off here...DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES>>>PERIOD.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I'm sorry that my hotel fell short of your expectations. We have been keeping these issues listed in mind as we work to resolve them. We have recently come under new management and we now feel like we are capable of offering better quality and service to all our guests along with a better capability to meet guest's needs. We do hope to see you again on your next trip and give you a much better experience. I invite you to contact me directly if there is anything we can do to for you or if you would like to address any other issues or concerns you may have.

Reviewed August 9, 2010

I bought(name your own price) this hotel on Priceline as a 3 star hotel.Big stains on the hallway carpets,I found 2 live ants on my bed sheet(the big red ones).Big clump of black frizzy hair on rug in room.Walked into room very warm window wide open with air conditoner going.The mini fridge not working I pulled it away from the wall (it was in builtin cabinet)the whole top is full of dust and its unplugged.I get it running but knob inside fridge is missing so you cannot make it colder.JUST A REAL DUMP STAY AWAY>

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I'm sorry that my hotel fell short of your expectations. I will addresses these issue and can assure you this will not happen again, as we are now under new management. I would appreciate it if you could call me directly at my hotel so I can personally resolve the previous issues and have the opportunity to offer you a much better experience.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

My 17 year old niece and I recently stayed at this hotel for one night during a road trip to/from Florida. We were uncertain about how long we could make it on the road and at the wheel, so unfortunately I did not pre-book a hotel mid-way into our trip...big mistake.

After being unable to find wireless internet in the Florence SC area, my niece called hotels.com who gave us a "deal" on this hotel at $110 nightly. When we checked out of the hotel the next morning, I questioned a bill for $68 that had been slipped under our room door. Embarrassed, the very nice gal at the front desk told me that "$68 approximately is the price the Wingate Hotel charges hotels.com and the remainder is profit for hotels.com...I inadvertantly was given the room charge that was meant to be sent to hotels.com...sadly, I was charged nearly double the going price by hotels.com." Ripped off, in other words. Booking the Wingate directly would have cost me about $70 for the one night stay. Oh well...certainly no reflection on the hotel.

At any rate, this hotel is alright and extremely average. It is almost difficult for me to recall little details as I write this review merely one week later. This Wingate is located right off the highway--Interstate 95, so it is ultra-easy to find. The front desk gal and all staff were friendly and helpful. Lobby was atractive and clean. Check-in was swift, parking was well lit and ample.

Our room was typical business furnished with two comfy, queen-sized beds, an average sized and clean bathroom, free Internet (that did not work for me), in-room coffee and fridge, standard television (not flat screen or HD but I do not watch much tv), etc. Furniture was new, our room smelled fresh and clean, our room appeared very well attended and clean, AC worked well enough, etc. Exhausted, my niece and I chatted a bit but quickly fell asleep.

There are a variety of fast food places and chain restaurants just down the road, an area that seemed relatively safe. The free continental breakfast looked good but my niece and I passed on it.

Overall we had a good experience at this Wyndham Wingate albeit an average and unmemorable one. Not sure if I would recommend this hotel to others...probably I would.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear you had a pleasant experience here at Wingate. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and for giving us your opinion on our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully making your next stay unforgettable!

Reviewed July 21, 2010

The staff here is wonderful, and the lobby was sparkling-clean. Unfortunately that didn't extend to our rooms. the bathroom could use some updating, as well as the carpets in the hall and in our room. They had a few stains which we were able to overlook. The Wifi didn't work in our room (only in the bathroom of all places). The walls are thin, so I could hear people in their rooms talking and walking down the hall.

Breakfast was a typical continental style. nothing to write home about. Cleanliness again was the culprit as I found a hair on the stack of styrofoam cups and another hair on our table. Ick.

But, for a pass-thru town, it's not a bad place to stay, but not the best. I think I would have fared better at one of the other choices in the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I am glad to hear you had some positive points of your stay, but I feel as though our hotel did not fully meet your needs and I apologize for that. Since receiving this review we have been keeping these issues in mind as we work to resolve them. We have recently come under new management and gained a better staff that can better meet our guests needs. We do hope to see you again on your next trip and have the opportunity to offer you a much better experience. I invite you to contact me directly if there is anything we can do to for you or if you would like to address any other issues or concerns you may have.