“rude!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I can not comment on the food as we didn't get that far. Greeting us as we walked up to enter was a slob of a woman vomiting off of the deck. Always a welcome sight as you are getting ready to eat dinner. Once inside the crowded, humid "eatery", we attempted to give our name for the wait. When I asked how long the wait would be, I was rudely told she had no idea. Now I have never entered a restaurant where they were unable to give me a time frame. When I pressed her for the time, she told me she had parties of 5, 7,and 14 waiting. We did not see 26 people anywhere. Further more, she said she had no idea when people would finish eating. Look around, woman!! Are the people on appetizers, entrees, or desserts? Learn to estimate for your customers. Place smelled heavily of fried, greasy food. We will not try again on this trip. Try Grovers instead. We did.

5  Thank Danalli4

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Good Food! Very small place get there early, everything shuts down by 9 pm. Waitresses are overloaded, so be thoughtful.

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

It's kind of a tradition and legendary place to eat if you're on Edisto. It's good but not overly impressive. We went planning to eat early lunch and got there around 11, seated 11:30ish but they were still doing breakfast. No biggie. Had an omelet with grits...both were good but nothing to be blown out of the water about.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We ate here one day for lunch (place was empty around 3pm) I had fried shrimp & hubby had fried clams. We really enjoyed our lunch. The breakfast on our last day was a 20 minute wait. We had to sit at the counter & had to wait another hour for our food to be ready. The short stack pancakes were excellent. Tasted like cinnamon was in them but I don't know if they were worth an hour wait.....

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I vacation each year at Edisto but this is the first time we had dinner at this nice little family place, and we loved it so much we went back twice more in the next 3 days, without a care for our waistlines.
The Sea Cow offers a relaxed atmosphere and you can just wander in wearing your casual clothes. There is both inside (air conditioned) and outside dining areas. Both are casual areas with sturdy wooden tables and chairs. It's a "condiments on the table" type place, if that makes any sense.
We did not have any problem being seated even though we were a larger group, and we found it to be reasonably clean ( this is a seafood place so if finding a shrimp tail on the floor is going to send you to the CDC for tests, for gosh sakes go somewhere else.) Our waitress although obviously very busy, did a very good job with service, and we did not lack for polite attention.
Now for the food......yummmmmmmm. Can I use the o word?
The food arrived in a very reasonable time frame and was fantastic, and yes, I do shamelessly admit to, sigh... dreaming about those scallops.
We have a family of 6 so our table was graced with a wide variety of ocean fare. Shrimp, scallops, flounder, crab cakes, and some of the local flare. Squash casserole, cheesy grits, even some chicken tenders. It was all really exceptional. Even the fries were delish, and complimentary comments towards the fare were regularly murmured thought the meal We are all from Maryland so we have rather high seafood expectations, and it was so nice to be happily impressed. . All 6 of us needless to say had to be rolled out the door.
If you get the chance you really should visit The Cow for dinner. You must try it all, and absolutely must try (it will be hard) to leave some room for the pies!!!! Key Lime, Caramel Pecan, Coconut Cream... oh my! All homemade, and the kind of slices your grandma gives you when she thinks you are to skinny. Yum!
Bottom line? Twelve thumbs up for The Sea Cow!