“Disappointed”

The Old Post Office Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 30 Restaurants in Edisto Island
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: From the restaurant's web site:"Featuring a selection of your favorite foods served in the Low Country. We welcome you to a restored tradition and a fresh beginning. Foods of the South are designed by chef Cherry Smalls."Full bar. Serving dinner Tue–Sat from March–Oct, dinner Wed–Sat Nov, Dec and Feb. Closed Jan."This is the most prominent building that you're likely to see as you drive through the forests and fields across Edisto Island. About 5 miles from the beach, the restaurant was once a combination post office and general store, as its weathered clapboards and old-time architecture imply."— Frommer's
Edisto Island, SC
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

It has been several years since we have eaten at the Old Post Office. We have always enjoyed it because it was always very fresh food and well prepared. Food was made after we ordered and the delays were long but the result was well worth it. However, this time it was different. We ordered Firecracker Flounder, Veal and Scallops. I have caught and eaten flounder up and down the east coast for nearly 50 years. It is a flaky delicate fish with a mild but distinctive flavor. I don't think I was served flounder at all. It was tough and unlike any flounder I have ever eaten. I only ate part of it and took the rest home and put it in a crab trap the next day. Worked pretty well there. I have prepared and eaten scallops for many years. These were filled with grit and shell. Scallops are easy to clean with a bit of effort. They appeared to have been cooked with a microwave. Veal was apparently frozen and pre-processed. Remains of this, too, made it to the crab trap with less than spectacular results. Friday night and the restaurant was about half full. Used to be you needed reservation a week ahead. The old owners would have been ashamed.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank M326
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
M326,
One question for you? If you feel that strongly about what you ate why would you not say something to a waiter or one of the two owners (Toniann, at the front door) or (Adam, working in the kitchen). I know what products come in that door, know how fresh they are, know how their prepared, and served. SO I'M SIMPLY CALLING YOUR BLUFF! I personally invite you to come stand in our kitchen and observe so you can educate yourself about something you know nothing about. Since you're "local" it shouldn't be hard for ya!
Adam
PS: the old owners have enough to be ashamed about.

“Pretty disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We decided to take our family here as a special dinner during our vacation. We knew it was a little pricey but thought it would be a nice dining experience. For the price, the food was just ok and the service was not the caliber I would expect. The atmosphere was lacking as well. The drinks were warm with melting ice in them. Nothing special about the food. The desserts were pretty plain. The waitress was nice, but seemed more like a diner waitress than a server in an upscale restaurant. I would not go there again at the current price point.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Mandywayman
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Mandywayman
We're not for everyone!....and even though we work hard to please all of our customers we also know that at times you can't. If melting ice is an issue I would recommend visiting in January because ice melts in July.
Enjoy
Adam Morris
“One of Edisto best choices for fine dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We having been going to Old Post Office for many years. Not as good as under previous ownership. Excellent food but portions were lacking for $$$. Crab corn chowder lacking prescience of crab. Crab cakes and Mahi Mahi good but portions small. Grits not as tasty as previous owners. Service excellent!

1 Thank Mark-oest
opoedisto, Owner at The Old Post Office Restaurant, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Mark-oest,
Happy to read that you feel that the food and service was excellent other than the grits, however we're proud to say that they are a local milled product of the island and actually prepared the same and by the same person thats been doing it for the previous 12 years! In regard to portions....our Mahi is an 8 to 10 oz portion and Have you priced fresh Lump Crab lately! In fact I can proudly say that the menu (since 1991) has only increased an average $5.00. Non the less we appreciate your business, review, and high marks.
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner was delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family enjoyed a delicious dinner last night at the OPO! My very picky 8-yr old simply scarfed down the blueberry chicken and grits. I delighted in my fired quail entree special! The batter was crisp and tasty an the meat tender. The firecracker flounder was amazing as well. Of course, we started with the smoked salmon, onion sausage and fried oysters-an amazing way to start a delectable meal!

1 Thank Katey Hines M
Katey Hines M,
Great review! Very pleased to hear that all enjoyed their meals including your 8 year old!
Thank you for your high marks and business. We look forward to your return.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

First off I must say that I LOVE that the owner responds to each and every review, which I mentioned to his wife the night we dined there. It shows that they are attentive to their customers and want to sincerely know what they thought of their restaurant. ( love the subtle sarcasm, as well :) )
I have only one negative thing to say and I feel it was just this particular dish. I ordered the Citrus flounder. It was a bit fleshy for my taste and I did send it back but it didn't improve the dish much. I don't like fish that is still on the skin as it is sometimes difficult to seperate and this was the case with this dish. It did not have a citrus-y taste at all. Just 3 very small pieces of fish that had some bread crumbs thrown over it or so it seemed to me.

NOW that being said, the rest of the meal was very good. My husband had the firecracker flounder and loved it. My daughters had the crab cake and pork tenderloin. Both tasty, especially the pork which was very tender. We loved the shrimp pate appetizer and I had the special soup tht night which was creamy mushroom with crab. It was delicious. The "miniscule" salad, as another reviewer remarked was just the right size we thought and said this aloud at the table. Dressing was tasty and salad had nice craisins and pumpkin seeds within. We all had dessert and they were all very good. We have never had grits before and probably never will again LOL but for people that like them, I'm sure they were good.

So Adam, all in all, a lovely visit!! We probably will never return because the island is a bit too remote for us but not because of your food. Best of luck in the future to you!!!

1 Thank Danalli4
Danalli4,
Disappointed to hear that you didn't care for the Citrus Flounder, however a great choice for those that are heart healthy! In my opinion the Firecracker Flounder would have been a much better choice (crispy,hot and spicy). I was very pleased to read that all in all everyone enjoyed their dinner with us, but happier to say that you recognized that I do respond to every reviewer....good or bad, like it or not, one can't take life too seriously and/or think that he/she is gonna please everyone.
Please not that the "subtle sarcasm" is just my dry humor coming out. Thanks for the review and business. If ever even close durring a visit to the area I hope you'll visit again.
Happy Travels